Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Brides????? I have a question about your dresses?

Aruba since 1979

Brides????? I have a question about your dresses?

Dear Brides

Please tell us your experiences with your wedding dresses and your airline?
    Did the flight attendants gush all over you and take your dress and hang it in a safe place/closet?

Hi Andrea, not with me they didnt.
    We flew Thomson Airlines ( UK ). The bride and groom are given an extra 5kg luggage allowance for their outfits. We were told hanging garments are not allowed on the aircraft. I packed both my dresses in my hand luggage, there was no way my wedding outfits were leaving my side. If they got lost or mis-placed it would have been my own fault then.

Continental from NYC area

I did not receive any gushing from the flight attendants at all. I called Continental in advance as suggested in several destination wedding magazines and website to let them know you were bringing a dress. I was assured that a notation was made on my reservation and I should have no problems. At the gate we noticed there was a total of 4 bridal gowns on our same flight!!!!!

After first class passengers boarded, the closet was full but we were able to lay my dress and his suit flat out in an overhead bin and watched the bin like a hawk so no one tried to lay their things on top.

Aruba since 1979
    i remember when "aruba destination weddings" were not as popular.
    when a bride came on board (AA) the flight attendants would make her feel like a princess, send glasses of champagne to the couple, hang the bride's gown in a first class closet.

times, they are a'changin.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 07-16-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    there's probably too many people doing destination weddings now, where would they fit all the dresses. i bet first class passengers get the treatment. if my SD marries in aruba, i am upgrading her flight to first class, lol. of course with me around, i'd probably get her dress in a carry on, lol...

Delta didn't give my dress or my husband's suit any special accomodations either. I called in advance as well and we got to the airport 2 1/2 hours early to ensuer that I could have it put in first class. On the first leg of the flight, it was in first class but they put a guitar on it and on the second leg... there was no room for it up there so I put it in the overhead above me over the bags. I ended up paying for someone to steam both my dress and his suit once we arrived in Aruba. But, it all turned out geat.

Amber

Aruba since 1979
    one of our members told me that she had her dress and 2 bridesmaids dresses steamed and paid $200. is that a HIGH price or is it standard?

We flew United non stop from Chicago and called ahead of time regarding the wedding dress. We were told they could not "guarantee" a closet space for the dress. and that the dress would count as one carry on as well. We took our chances and packed the dress and the suit in the same garment back and crossed our fingers we'd have a closet on the flight. Luckily we did. They didn't 'gush' but our flight attendant was nice and gave us a free drink and wished us luck.

One thing to note is that the closets are actually really SHORT so they end up having to fold the bottom of the garment back up so it fits. My dress was an organza silk that ended up traveling REALLY well and we did not need to press it. But I think if your dress is a less forgiving material, no matter where if 'flys' it may need a good press, so i would not worry about not getting a closet it too much.
    Last edited by rtck.05062011; 07-18-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Yes. It is expensive. I paid about $150 for my dress, my husbands suit and a friend's dress. I didn't really have a choice. At the end of the day, it was worth it so that it looked nice the day of the wedding but I still do think it's really expensive.

Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    one of our members told me that she had her dress and 2 bridesmaids dresses steamed and paid $200. is that a HIGH price or is it standard?

Aruba since 1979
    thanks
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by acushing View Post
    Yes. It is expensive. I paid about $150 for my dress, my husbands suit and a friend's dress. I didn't really have a choice. At the end of the day, it was worth it so that it looked nice the day of the wedding but I still do think it's really expensive.

Amber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast