Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Catholic wedding possible?

Not sure about what church you can get married in but I found this on the information part of this Aruba Website. It's under the Aruba Vacations link - under Weddings and Honeymoons. This is what it says about planning a Catholic wedding:

Good luck! From personal experience, I know Aruba is a beautiful place to get married
    ---

Religious Ceremonies With some advance planning and submission of documentation, religious ceremonies can also be conducted on-island. The following are the guidelines for the various ceremonies.
    With some advance planning and submission of documentation, religious ceremonies can also be conducted on-island. The following are the guidelines for the various ceremonies.

CATHOLIC:

(Must call first as this is on hold until review of procedures is complete):

1. Proof That the prospective bride and groom have attended pre-marriage preparation.
    2. Permission from their priest to get married in Aruba.
    3. An official declaration stating that neither party has been previously married in a Church is also required from their local priest.
    4. Copy of Wedding Certificate showing that they have been legally married in their home country.
    5. Baptismal and Confirmation certificates of both parties as well as copies of their passports or I.D. Cards.
    6. The proposed wedding must take place "inside" the Church building.
    All documents must be submitted 4 months prior to chosen wedding date.

I heard that you can have a Catholic wedding in the church but not on the beach.

ale

Solved?

Wonder if you finally figured out what needs to be done and can share with me. looking for the same info. thanks

Eagle beach, Aruba water park, Renaissance Island, Passions, Screaming Eagle, Casa Tua Italian, Rembrandt, Shopping malls, town shops.

catholic wedding possible

Quote Originally Posted by ale View Post
    Wonder if you finally figured out what needs to be done and can share with me. looking for the same info. thanks
    Hi Ale, I contacted Father Rey as I read that he allows weddings in his church to non residents but didn't get a reply, so Jason Margarita (my photographer in Aruba)spoke to father Rey on my behalf, and he said that as long as he got a letter from our priest to say that we did our pre marriage course and we were both catholics, it would be fine BUT my fiancee is not catholic so we decided to have a blessing by a reverend on the beach, I was getting very upset and frustrated with all the red tape, I understand that catholic weddings for non residents is something new, just hope that it gets easier in the near future.
    I don't think you would have any problems from Venezuela, if you are both catholics and do your course, but did you know that you could take your own priest?
    Last edited by misslatin; 01-30-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    Hi, Angie!

Quote Originally Posted by misslatin View Post
    Hi Ale, I contacted Father Rey as I read that he allows weddings in his church to non residents but didn't get a reply, so Jason Margarita (my photographer in Aruba)spoke to father Rey on my behalf, and he said that as long as he got a letter from our priest to say that we did our pre marriage course and we were both catholics, it would be fine BUT my fiancee is not catholic
    In this case, you can still have a Catholic ceremony. You need to talk to your bishop and request an authorization (it's called "dispensation"). Keep in mind that there are two different kinds of authorizations, depending on the religion of the non-Catholic partner. In case of a baptized Christian, it's called "mixed marriage". In case of a non-baptized person (e.g. Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist), it's called "marriage with disparity of cult", I believe. The bishop will grant the dispensation if both of you agree with 1. having a Catholic ceremony (i.e. without elements from other religions inside the ceremony) and 2. raising your kids in the Catholic faith.

(my guess is that the bishop will be quite surprised with the request, since most Catholics don't bother getting the "dispensation" in such cases)

I was getting very upset and frustrated with all the red tape, I understand that catholic weddings for non residents is something new, just hope that it gets easier in the near future.
    Looks like your particular red tape issue has more to do with the non-Catholic status of one partner than with you being non-residents. I guess the same situation would happen if you wanted to get married in any other place.

I don't think you would have any problems from Venezuela, if you are both catholics and do your course, but did you know that you could take your own priest?
    I'm not a Canon Law expert (but most of what I told you above comes from the fact that I was once engaged to a non-Catholic, so I had to research all this stuff), but I guess you can always bring your own priest (we are doing this next May) as long as you talk to the priest of the church where you want to get married and, closer to the wedding, let the local priest know the names of the priest(s) who is (are) going to celebrate your wedding.

All the best from Brazil

Marcio

Eagle beach, Aruba water park, Renaissance Island, Passions, Screaming Eagle, Casa Tua Italian, Rembrandt, Shopping malls, town shops.
    Hola Marcio! yes I agree with you, but I meant by the red tape is that if you were to get married in Mexico or Dominican republic, it is a lot easier there, and you have more churches available. We can't afford to take my own priest from England, but we are still doing the pre marriage course, and when we return from our honeymoon, my priest is going to bless our union, so I get to have both. I love Aruba so I am happy just to be able to marry there! I wish you all the best in your upcoming wedding.

Mangel Halto for snorkeling, Palm and Arashi for beach time.
    Hi, Angie! Yes, marrying in Aruba must be something wonderful! I re-read the thread and you're getting married in October 2013 if I'm not mistaken. So I believe there's plenty of time to check with your bishop about the "dispensation", in case you still want a Catholic wedding in Aruba. Maybe your local priest can help with this, or help requesting an audience with the bishop. As I told you, I'm no Canon Law expert, but if you have more doubts on how to ask for the "dispensation" I can check with friends of mine (one of them is a Catholic bishop himself).

All the best from Brazil

Marcio

ale
    Hi Marcio, Misslatin thanks for your reply...
    In what church can I contact Father Rey?

The situation is not easy at all because it's not easy to find a priest with the possiblity to travel to Aruba (from Mexico where I live or from Venezuela where my parents live)

I went down to Aruba a couple of weeks ago and now have more doubts than I had before. I had an interview with the priest in San Francisco di Asis, he told me we have to contact him once we set the date and have the permit to get married in Aruba, but his condition was that we have to bring our own priest (which I don't have now, but keep looking for...) to his church to perform the ceremony. Besides, he has to meet our priest at least a couple of days before the wedding date. We didn't have the chance to talk to Santa Ana's priest, so I wonder if that case is different, not a clue if catholic wedding ceremonies can be held in Alto Vista.

I finished my pre marriage course this saturday, and our principal difficulty is that we don't have a close priest that can travel with us down to Aruba, we asked in our local church and what they said is that the Archdiocese write a permit for us to get married in the church there, but they can't send a priest, because they say the permit is intended for the church to know that we have fulfilled the requirements to get married and with that the church there shall assign a priest to do the ceremony, but per my conversation in Aruba with the priest in San Francisco di Asis I know that this is not his rule.

We picked Aruba because is close to our family and it's easier for us to move our families there (my fiance can't travel to our home country due to political reasons) so for us is very important to solve the enigma and get our wedding done in Aruba otherwise we won't have the possibility to share with our family.

We want to have our wedding around May, but we can't save the date until we find someone to do our ceremony.

Hope you can provide more information.

Warm regards

I am getting married on the island in 13 days, in a Catholic Church, by an Aruban priest. It is very possible, and doesn't require a lot of the hoops that previous posts have mentioned.

Last Feb my fiancee and I visited Aruba to plan the wedding. We sat with and spoke to the priest at Santa Ana, and San Francisco. I'm not sure if the priests have changed, but at that time both would not marry a non resident in their church. We also checked into the Chapel at Alto Vista as this was our first choice, however the Aruba Tourism authority does not allow weddings to take place there.

After some perserverance and visiting a few other churches, we were able to find an accomodating priest and church. We too could not afford to bring our home priest with us, even though I'm sure he would have loved to come along for the trip.

Overall there was some paperwork that needed to be filed, but nothing out of the ordinary or difficult to obtain. We have our civil ceremony in Aruba on 2/10 (which is a pre-requirement to any wedding ceremony), and our church ceremony on 2/13.

If you have any questions please message me and I'll get back to you... I am as aware of the process as I possibly can be. I'm hesitant to name the church and priest on here b/c I am not sure if he would want to be bombarded with non resident wedding requests.

I suggest you get a wedding planner and they will explain and suggest possible churches/priests. My fiancee and I are working with Lissy Lampe of Ceremonies & Celebrations. She is absolutely a pleasure to work with and has made the long distance wedding planning as easy as possible.

13 days!

Rubin

Aruba since 1979
    i am checking with the ATA on "them not allowing weddings at alto vista chapel"
    i do not think they the ATA has any jurisdiction on that but i am checking.

Quote Originally Posted by RubinO77 View Post
    I am getting married on the island in 13 days, in a Catholic Church, by an Aruban priest. It is very possible, and doesn't require a lot of the hoops that previous posts have mentioned.

Last Feb my fiancee and I visited Aruba to plan the wedding. We sat with and spoke to the priest at Santa Ana, and San Francisco. I'm not sure if the priests have changed, but at that time both would not marry a non resident in their church. We also checked into the Chapel at Alto Vista as this was our first choice, however the Aruba Tourism authority does not allow weddings to take place there.

After some perserverance and visiting a few other churches, we were able to find an accomodating priest and church. We too could not afford to bring our home priest with us, even though I'm sure he would have loved to come along for the trip.

Overall there was some paperwork that needed to be filed, but nothing out of the ordinary or difficult to obtain. We have our civil ceremony in Aruba on 2/10 (which is a pre-requirement to any wedding ceremony), and our church ceremony on 2/13.

If you have any questions please message me and I'll get back to you... I am as aware of the process as I possibly can be. I'm hesitant to name the church and priest on here b/c I am not sure if he would want to be bombarded with non resident wedding requests.

I suggest you get a wedding planner and they will explain and suggest possible churches/priests. My fiancee and I are working with Lissy Lampe of Ceremonies & Celebrations. She is absolutely a pleasure to work with and has made the long distance wedding planning as easy as possible.

13 days!

Rubin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast