Aruba Beach
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By momento by elnathan

Thread: Civil Ceremony Questions

Civil Ceremony Questions

Hi All!

My Fiance and I are getting married in Aruba at the Ritz Carlton on 4/30/2015. Whoo hoo! We are so excited, however I am a bit confused on the whole civil ceremony part and I have a couple of concerns. My first concern is, when we go to town hall, and participate in the legal civil ceremony, will we be given our marriage certificates right then? Or will they come in the mail? I have been lurking here and have read some stories from women who, for whatever reason have not received their marriage certificate after getting married in Aruba and are now having quite the time getting their name changed in the US/having the marriage recognized etc. Also, my second main concern is if the marriage will be recognized in the state of TN. I have spoken to the state of TN and they have advised that they see no reason why it wouldn't be recognized, but told me that if I would like to be 100% sure to check with an attorney. I have a friend who is an attorney who is researching everything for me now, but I just wanted to post here to see if anyone had any experience with this and can shed some light on all of this. My wedding planner has been AWESOME, and very helpful as far as all of the documentation and stuff is concerned, so I feel comfortable about that, it's just this other stuff. HELP!

Hi tj, welcome to the Aruba.com Community forum!

Congrats on the engagement and wedding planning! I hope you will share your experiences here as you go through this exciting journey!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Hi tj, welcome to the Aruba.com Community forum!

Congrats on the engagement and wedding planning! I hope you will share your experiences here as you go through this exciting journey!
    Thank you so much. I will definitely update as things progress and post wedding! If I can get all the technical stuff figured out

Junior Member momento by elnathan's Avatar
    Hi tjburgess21, answering your questions, (being in the wedding business for almost 10 years) All marriage certificates will be in dutch and after the ceremony they will be send out locally for translation, this can take a few days for it to be ready and another few days to reach you by Fedex. Once you receive the original legal papers by mail (translated) this will be no problem at all for recognition by your state. A few hundred US citizens get legally married each year at the civil house and non so far as I have heard had any problems at their state. Online you would probably read about some couples not receiving their certificate in time or never etc, but I am pretty sure those days are pretty much gone since there are multiple professional wedding coordinators and planners on the Island who will make sure you get your legal papers. You are getting married at the Ritz so Lorraine is the one you are dealing with I guess, and she is on top of things. Best of Luck!