Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pillaijetti

Thread: customs

customs

We were going to throw our favors and OOT bag stuff in brown cartons and check them in as luggage. But the hotel advised us to bring suitcases instead for the Customs will make us open the cartons if they see them. However suitcases might not be an issue. True?? I was hoping to bring brown boxes and discard them when empty. Anyone who has done this before would be able to advise?
    Last edited by pillaijetti; 05-30-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    it is a random check on luggage/suitcases. 38 visits and we have been stopped once, maybe twice.
    cartons, such as the ones you are describing have a better chance of being flagged than suitcases.
    also too, carrying bags from DUTY FREE might also cause the Aruba Customs agent to at least look your way.
    Quote Originally Posted by pillaijetti View Post
    We were going to throw our favors and OOT bag stuff in brown cartons and check them in as luggage. But the hotel advised us to bring suitcases instead for the Customs will make us open the cartons if they see them. However suitcases might not be an issue. True?? I was hoping to bring brown boxes and discard them when empty. Anyone who has done this before would be able to advise?

I agree, the hotel knows what they are talking about. Last year I was carrying a paper shopping bag containing a gift for friends and was stopped and questioned. Anything out of the ordinary, which to me means everything but suitcases, can be questioned.

Would packing your items in duffel bags be an option? Then at least the duffels can be folded and packed into your suitcase upon return.

So! We decided we would take a chance on the cardboard cartons. I had ALL the OOT bag stuff in 4 cartons and the ceremony supplies in one. We had two suitcases full of clothes and jewellery. Ofcourse they stopped us and made us open them. We were asked if we had receipts and an invite. I had both but couldnt find them. They asked if the food was homemade and I said yes. Everything was put together by us. They taped it back up and said..... one happy island

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    i told my SD to get duffle bag type suitcases just like lisa said (great minds think alike), lol. i only do carry on and so does my husband. but since we fly first class, i could check 2 suitcases and so can he. then on the way home she can stuff the duffle bags in her suitcase or throw them away. i said to get cheap ones so who cares if you don't take them back.

glad to know that even though they checked your boxes they didn't give you any problems...have a wonderful wedding (yes???) !!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

We linked our daughter's reservation to ours so she was allowed two free checked in bags as well, for a total of 6 free bags. We always travel with carry ons as well, but this time was different. Note to everyone: If you have silver, gold, platinum or diamond members, link your reservation with them to secure the benefit of free bags.

@danadog..... once they see that you ARE in reality going to use this stuff for your guests ( ours were labeled with the kid's names and place and dates) and they are convinced that you are not going to make a profit, they do not give you problems. Checking at customs never scares me, I have nothing to hide. But the sunny disposition of the Arubians just warms your heart from the time you step onto this island.