Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: get legally married at home or aruba

get legally married at home or aruba

Okm so I have done all the research about getting legally married in Aruba and I even started the paperwork. BUT i was thinking maybe I will get married here first and then just have the ceremony on the beach in Aruba.. Has anyone done this? Pros/Cons?? What would I have to bring once we are married??

Thanks!!

daisymay4,

Hi!

We got married in Aruba--I almost messed it up. I'll post my civil wedding review this weekend.

I liked the civil wedding alot and it is really unique and neat, but I also think it might have just been easier to get married at home.

Either way, it will be great. Either way, you will be married before the beach ceremony which I loved, because then it truly is a celebration.

I think my reason, originally for getting married in Aruba was because I was worried that the civil wedding at home would become a big party. . . .invite 4 people then immediate family, then friends and then there is lunch, then it is a BBQ, then we need music. . .. I was afraid I would end up with the big wedding that I didn't want.

Is there something that worries you one way or the other?

Well, if we get married in Aruba the day of the beach ceremony im afraid it will be too much rushing around... id like to do it the day before but alot of our immediate family wont be there until that night (which is annoying in so many ways!) I feel like if we do it at home before hand then i wont be an anxious about the wedding, the beach ceremony will be a celebration and a beautiful moment no matter what... im so confused lol

You do not have to have the civil ceremony the same day as the beach ceremony.

With that said, richandliz are not the first ones here to say,
    " I also think it might have just been easier to get married at home."

Aruba since 1979
    there has been chatter about the lengthy wait to get the legal marriage translated certificate from aruba.

so, getting the legal part done at home could be a good choice for some.

As someone who just yesterday was legally married "at home" and will be having the symbolic ceremony in Aruba this October, I can offer this insight:

Pros:
    - No stress in having to make time to do the civil ceremony in Aruba
    - No stress in gathering necessary paperwork beforehand
    - Grandparents who couldn't make it to Aruba could participate

Cons:
    - Different dates on your marriage certificate and what you might consider your "true" wedding date
    - Many people asking you to explain which one is your anniversary date
    - Opinionated people sharing their opinions with you (including people who may not understand why you'd want or be okay with separating the two)

Every person and every couple is different, so what may feel like a "pro" to me can very easily be a "con" for someone else. For us, we felt that the civil/legal aspect of the marriage process was more paperwork than the "meat and potatoes" of what a wedding day would mean to us. We wanted our wedding to be an intimate event, in a special place, surrounded by our closest friends and family where we could exchange our own vows and rings with each other. My advice is to really think about what a wedding means to you and your fiance, figure out what's important to you both and go from there. Good luck and congratulations!

Aruba since 1979
    great post!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by msbeckyt View Post
    As someone who just yesterday was legally married "at home" and will be having the symbolic ceremony in Aruba this October, I can offer this insight:

Pros:
    - No stress in having to make time to do the civil ceremony in Aruba
    - No stress in gathering necessary paperwork beforehand
    - Grandparents who couldn't make it to Aruba could participate

Cons:
    - Different dates on your marriage certificate and what you might consider your "true" wedding date
    - Many people asking you to explain which one is your anniversary date
    - Opinionated people sharing their opinions with you (including people who may not understand why you'd want or be okay with separating the two)

Every person and every couple is different, so what may feel like a "pro" to me can very easily be a "con" for someone else. For us, we felt that the civil/legal aspect of the marriage process was more paperwork than the "meat and potatoes" of what a wedding day would mean to us. We wanted our wedding to be an intimate event, in a special place, surrounded by our closest friends and family where we could exchange our own vows and rings with each other. My advice is to really think about what a wedding means to you and your fiance, figure out what's important to you both and go from there. Good luck and congratulations!

msbeckyt thank you! i share your pros and cons list.. what paperwork do you need to bring with your or froward to Aruba then, if any, to show you're married? I can care less about people asking about our anniversary.. to me having two dates to celebrate our marriage is definitely a pro. i just think i will be more relaxed the day of the ceremony... thank you so much for your help!

when is your wedding in october?? ours is the 15th

thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast