Aruba Beach

Thread: How to Register the Marriage in the U.S.?

How to Register the Marriage in the U.S.?

I live in Virginia. I am confused about how to have my aruban marriage recognized in the U.S. I will be having the civil ceremony in Aruba. Do i need to get a license in virginia or will the certificate I recieve in Aruba be enough?

Aruba since 1979
    i hope one of our wedding professionals will answer.

but, from what i understand the paperwork from the civil ceremony is all that you need to bring back home (virginia) to make it recognized.

who is your planner and what did he/she advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Day79 View Post
    I live in Virginia. I am confused about how to have my aruban marriage recognized in the U.S. I will be having the civil ceremony in Aruba. Do i need to get a license in virginia or will the certificate I recieve in Aruba be enough?

My husband and I were married in the Bahamas. Our Bahamian marriage certificate was good enough to change the name on my driver's license, passport as well as adoption paperwork for the state of Georgia. We have never ever been questioned about it's validity. I do not see why Aruba would be any different.

Just make sure we are talking about the Aruba marriage certificate and NOT the "blessing ceremony certificate". The Blessing Ceremony certificate does not make your marriage official. If you are only having a beach blessing in Aruba, make sure you are legally married in the U.S. before or after to make it legal.

oh okay thanks! I will not be changing my name so I wasn't sure how it will be known that I am actually married. We will be filing joint taxes of course at the end of the year. so the irs or other agencies as such will take my word for it? I guess a better question is under what other circumstances besides name changes, health and life insurances do you need to prove your status. So since i will not be changing my name. If the vital statistics department were to run my identification they would still issue a single affidavit?

Anyone needing i.d. accepted my birth certificate with a raised seal along with the marriage certificate. My marriage certificate was issued in my maiden name since I too was keeping my name.

I actually kept my maiden name for 7 years before changing to my husband's name. When we began the adoption process, due to the bureaucracy it was easier to have the same last name, I no longer needed my maiden name professionally and it was very easy to change my name that many years later.