Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: legal ceremony

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything

legal ceremony

If you are not a citizen of aruba and get married there, you must do it at city hall, correct? you can have a reverand or anyone else for that matter do the blessing on the beach ceremony but that is not legal, correct? in other words, if you had someone ordained from the states come and do the ceremony on the beach, it would not be legal unless you first did it at the city hall. right? am i getting this correctly???

Aruba since 1979

my answers in bold

my answers in bold
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    If you are not a citizen of aruba and get married there, you must do it at city hall, correct? correct

you can have a reverand or anyone else for that matter do the blessing on the beach ceremony but that is not legal, correct? correct

in other words, if you had someone ordained from the states come and do the ceremony on the beach, it would not be legal unless you first did it at the city hall. right? yup

am i getting this correctly??? you got it!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    thank you, that's what I told her....I'm going to copy and paste this to her so she understands....

www.aruba.com/SpecialVacations/WeddingsHoneymoons/top_10_reasons_for_getting_married_in_aruba.aspx

Civil Marriages

Civil marriages are now possible in Aruba, but they must take place at the Civil Town House.

CIVIL LEGAL REQUIREMENTS:

All Civil/Legal Ceremonies must take place in the Civil Town House
    Documents include:
    A) Copies of birth certificate for bride and groom with apostille (state certification).
    B) Passport picture page or valid state issued picture I.D. for Bride & Groom.
    C) Witness (18 years up) passport picture page or valid state issued picture I.D. (minimum 2 witnesses) Witnesses can be provided locally if bride and groom are traveling alone at $50 each by a weddingplanner.
    D) Certificate of no impediment for bride and groom (also referred to as a “single status report” and in some states called a “negative statement of marriage”). This certificate of no impediment is obtained at the bureau of vital statistics which is located in the department of health.
    E) If either party has been divorced we need to receive a copy of the 1st and last page of the divorce decree(s).
    F) If either party is a widow(er) we need to receive a copy of the pertaining death certificate.
    All documents are to be faxed for review and then submitted by courier (i.e. FedEx) at least one (1) month prior to desired wedding date. Please contact a wedding planner or your host hotel wedding coordinator.

Ceremony can take place in the late morning or early afternoon on Wednesdays, Thursdays or Fridays.

Saturdays are also available in the late mornings at an additional $150 surcharge.

9. Religious Ceremonies

With some advance planning and submission of documentation, religious ceremonies can also be conducted on-island. The following are the guidelines for the various ceremonies.

CATHOLIC:

(Must call first as this is on hold until review of procedures is complete):

Proof That the prospective bride and groom have attended pre-marriage preparation.
    Permission from their priest to get married in Aruba.
    An official declaration stating that neither party has been previously married in a Church is also required from their local priest.
    Copy of Wedding Certificate showing that they have been legally married in their home country.
    Baptismal and Confirmation certificates of both parties as well as copies of their passports or I.D. Cards.
    The proposed wedding must take place "inside" the Church building.
    All documents must be submitted 4 months prior to chosen wedding date.

PROTESTANT / EPISCOPALIAN / METHODIST:

Wedding Ceremony can be affiliated in the local Protestant / Episcopalian or Methodist Churches or anywhere else the couple desires.
    If Married outside Aruba, copy of marriage certificate from their home country.
    Proper attire is required for all "religious blessings"( ie: No Swimsuits nor Wraps for the Bride: Shorts are acceptable for the Groom.

JEWISH:

Both partners MUST bet Jewish and need to submit a verification of Judaism from the Rabbi of their hometown
    The Aruban Cantor accepts Jewish status certificates from valid Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Liberal and Re-Constructionist Authorities.
    A formal petition needs to be submitted to the Aruba Jewish Community.
    The wedding ceremony may take place either in the synagogue or any other venue of choice.
    The synagogue of Aruba is an independent Conservative-Reform style congregation.

AT SEA:

A boat captain is not authorized to officiate a wedding according to Dutch laws. This applies for international waters as well as in port. The only exception to this rule is if he has been given authority by the country under whose flag the ship is registered.

Not sure what you mean by "she doesn't know how to go about that".

Are you talking about where and when? If where, it may depend upon where she/you are staying? Someone at the hotel could surely advise you.

If she has already hired Jason Margarita, I suppose he can advise her.

I know when dh and I were married in the Bahamas our non-denominational Reverend gave us full instructions on how to obtain our marriage license (much much shorter list than Aruba , even for 2 divorced folks). Our resort concierge then helped us with smaller details- wedding flowers and wedding dinner arrangements.

I think I am with Andrea though, if your dd is having difficulty figuring out the details on getting legally married in Aruba, just do it here in the states at your local courthouse and then doing the "blessing ceremony" in Aruba. Just save the white dress for the blessing ceremony on the beach.

On the other hand, if she can wrap her head around the details of the civil ceremony at the Civil Town House in downtown Oranjestad, it is a beautiful building.

no, she understands getting married at city hall and she will have a wedding planner. she meant doing the sand ceremony thing. that's where she's confused. i think you have two or three glass containers and pour sand into it or something. no, she knows to get married at city hall. and you're right, it is a beautiful building, i saw one of the brides on here showed the inside and its beautiful.

thanks Lisa, I just copy and pasted this and sent it to her.

If it helps you, it is easy to go to the top of the page and go to

Show Printable Version

or

Email this page

Towards the bottom of this page, I have found the most recent Aruba Civil Wedding Requirements

Yes, we did a sand ceremony. We brought our vases and sand, but you can also purchase them from the hotel/wedding planner etc. There was a surcharge, something like $50.00 to have it added to the ceremony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast