Aruba Beach

Thread: Legal requirements advice...please help!

Legal requirements advice...please help!

I just started to try to plan to marry in Aruba and this forum has been a saving grace so for...
    I would like to get married in Aruba in August but am having a very difficult time getting some answers to some very specific questions regarding the legal process. I have sent emails and called the Civil Registry non-stop and have gotten no where. Since I am crunched for time, I was hoping to reach out to someone here. Please offer any advice you may have!

1.) Do the documents (ie. birth certificate, certificate of non-impediment/no marriage record) need to be translated in to Dutch? (We have documents in English and Spanish, my fiance is from Venezuela)
    2.) Will all documents be returned, or does the civil registry keep the official documents?
    3.) What age does the certificate of no marriage need to date back to? age 14?
    4.) Does the certificate of no marriage need an apostille?
    5.) Does the divorce decree need an apostille?
    6.) If no one answers the phone at the Civil Registry, how can I confirm a date for the ceremony in advance? I need to purchase flights and hotel accommodations for myself as well as my witnesses.
    7.) Most websites say you must mail all official documents one month prior, but then others say you only need to fax them one month prior and you can hand deliver the official documents 3 days before the ceremony. Which is true?
    8.) How many days prior do I need to arrive in Aruba and how many days later do I need to stay to leave with my marriage certificate in hand?

I appreciate any efforts to try and help me complete this process and secure all the necessary documents in such a short period of time. As were many other "posters", I am overwhelmed and a bit anxious about the whole process due to the lack of information. I am also considering trying to enlist someone from Aruba, maybe this fellow Jason everyone is talking about, to simply help me with the process. I will not be having an actual wedding in Aruba, but rather just want to have the civil ceremony.

THANK YOU!!! Please help Aruban experts!

Welcome to the forum

Click through the link in this post

legal ceremony

1.) Do the documents (ie. birth certificate, certificate of non-impediment/no marriage record) need to be translated in to Dutch? (We have documents in English and Spanish, my fiance is from Venezuela)
    There is no mention of a requirement of translation.
    2.) Will all documents be returned, or does the civil registry keep the official documents?
    The word "copy" is used in just about every bulleted item.
    5.) Does the divorce decree need an apostille?
    Copies of first and last pages as well as apostile.
    7.) Most websites say you must mail all official documents one month prior, but then others say you only need to fax them one month prior and you can hand deliver the official documents 3 days before the ceremony. Which is true?
    Fax at least 30 days prior AND submit by courier.

I have answered what I could Ideally when it comes down to situations like this, a wedding planner can take away all the aggravation so you can concentrate on gathering up all that darned paperwork.

Taking off my moderator's hat, it is unfortunate that it is so difficult and stressful. Dh and I were married in the Bahamas 15 years ago and to this day their requirements are unchanged. As we were both divorced previously, all we needed to do was show up at the Registrar's office with certified and notarized copy of the final divorce decrees, passports, birth certificates and photo ID. One day residency prior to application and then residency throughout until completion of the licensing process which took 2 days. Easy peezy lemon squeezy. 5 days on Paradise Island and then off for a 2 week honeymoon in Aruba.

<<Stepping off my soap box>> Good luck with your planning.

Thank you so much for your replies! I already feel a bit more at ease, although similar to the websites, people seem to have some conflicting information and it is difficult to determine which is true. I think hiring a wedding planner even though I am only having the civil ceremony is a great idea. I even started researching some civil wedding ceremony packages online. I hope all of the companies can be trusted!

Thanks for asking about the certificate of no marriage, Jason. The application I have here to request the document asks you for a search FROM and search TO date. They give an example saying that if the legal age to marry in NY is 14, then you will want to search back to age 14 and until the present to solidify your single status. Let me know if you have any further information!

Also, anyone know if my fiance needs to have his divorce decree AND the certificate of no marriage/single status report? I am thinking that he needs his divorce decree (which was processed last July) and then a single status report stating that he is currently single. Any ideas?

Thanks again for helping! This forum is AWESOME!

THANK YOU AGAIN! I am simply going to request the certificate back to when I was 14. On the application it actually reads this "Length of search required depends on country requesting the No Record of Marriage. In New York State the earliest age at which a marriage may legally occur is fourteen, you may need to search from the year in which you turned 14 until the present." I think searching back to age 14 should be sufficient!

One of the websites reads"As an alternative for the certificate of no impediment a notarized statement is also possible (no apostille needed)" I can't imagine that this is true, because it would be a lot easier for people to just get a notarized document, and cheaper too! Any thoughts?