Aruba Beach

Thread: Making it legal in the US

Talking Making it legal in the US

Hi Everyone!

I am getting married at the Westin on July 11, and just had a question about the US recognizing the marriage.

All of our paperwork has been sent down, and we are having the civil ceremony that morning at town hall. My question is, how does the USA recognize the marriage? Is a copy of the license sent to our home state or town for vital records?

Any information would be great!!
    Thanks!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Obtain the license b4 you leave the island. Many couples have had a hard time getting the hard copy in the mail. If you are using a wedding coordinator have them get if for you. Expect delays....Some on this site have been waiting for 11 weeks for theirs.....

Ok, thanks for the info!

But, do I need to do anything once I return to the US? Bring to the local town office? How does the US recognize it? It won't be in their records if I am doing it in Aruba...

Once you are pronounced man and wife in Aruba, you are legally married regardless of your location. You will need the marriage certificate to legally change some documents, but you are considered married. You might check with your local/state records office, but in Ohio, I was told nothing further was required state-side.

Not wanting to bring up a sore subject, but since the records reside in Aruba, I assume in the event of a divorce, it must also be done via Aruba courts?? Obviously I'm not planning this as I am a newlywed, but someone asked me this question (rude, I know!).

I'm sure others can chime in, as I'm one of the ones still waiting on my translated certificate from Aruba.

Lori
    Lori and Scott.......JUST MARRIED IN ARUBA!
    March 17, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LoriM View Post
    Once you are pronounced man and wife in Aruba, you are legally married regardless of your location. You will need the marriage certificate to legally change some documents, but you are considered married. You might check with your local/state records office, but in Ohio, I was told nothing further was required state-side.

Not wanting to bring up a sore subject, but since the records reside in Aruba, I assume in the event of a divorce, it must also be done via Aruba courts?? Obviously I'm not planning this as I am a newlywed, but someone asked me this question (rude, I know!).

I'm sure others can chime in, as I'm one of the ones still waiting on my translated certificate from Aruba.

Lori
    I was told the same thing. You will also have to contact the Aruba courts if you ever need a duplicate as well. This is why I decided to just get married in NY before we leave.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    RCannon...got a wedding coordinator, if not find one and let them do it.

Definitely check with the State in which you live in. All politics aside, marriage is a state issued in the United States.

That said, as long as you have the paperwork where you signed on the line, you're married.

It always comes down to the paperwork.
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

I am working with the Westin for the beach ceremony, and Premiere Wedding Services for the civil ceremony...