Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wedding in Aruba - 10.9.10 (Renaissance Island)

My wedding in Aruba - 10.9.10 (Renaissance Island)

First and foremost, I have to say that my wedding day was amazing and that I would do it all again. That being said, I would have a couple of recommendations and precautions to any brides that are thinking about getting married on the island of Aruba.

1. Marriott Renaissance Island - Flamingo beach, was the location of my ceremony. It was absolutely gorgeous. I had a vision of what I wanted as far as the setup and a platform for myself and my husband to be married on. I would say besides worrying about rain (which everyone says it never rains, but did for about 4 days during the week of the wedding), the majority of the stress was mainly due to the wedding coordinator, Juney (Rafael) Jones. He wasn't very much help and acted as if I was more of a pain than anything. During a visit to Aruba before our wedding week, we met to discuss things like flowers, decor, and the officiant. We went to visit his preferred florist, which I wasn't happy with. His style of vases and overall ideas, weren't what I wanted and I so I reached out to another contact that I had. During the week of my wedding, we met to check out the beach situation (as the 5 weeks of storms had eroded a lot of the beach), he was rude and seemed put off that I chose to work with someone else. In addition, his lack of response and timeliness (I realize that the American perspective on email and phone call returns of a faster pace), but I would wait 2 to 3 weeks on some emails that were important to me. Another situation occured Friday morning before my wedding, he supposedly ordered a carpet, which was to have been taken care of over 3 months ago, and basically emailed me saying that the carpet had not arrived. The Friday morning before my wedding I would have preferred a phone call (I have both a landline and cell phone in Aruba) and atleast a solution to the situation, he gave me neither. Luckily, my chosen florist had come through and was able to remedy the situation. Saturday morning, I sent a quick confirmation email about things and he informed me that the videographer was not setup. We ended up getting someone, but it wasn't the person who I met a few months earlier and was told would be all set for that day. And lastly, for the bride who may have younger siblings or inexperienced bridal party, Juney did absolutely nothing to usher, tell or guide our bridal party. My sister-in-law was the person who was showing our guests where to sit. I was just disappointed with his overall lack of attention to detail and excitement. I realize what this sounds like, probably Bridezilla, but your wedding day is important and the people planning and being apart of it should make it feel special as well.
    2. Driftwood Charters were used for our bridal party transportation. We got the beautiful Driftwood II and I couldn't have been more happy with Herbert Merryweather Jr. and the entire crew.
    3. Reception location was at Marandi. IT WAS AMAZING! The staff was literally waiting in hand and sent us off with drinks. The food was spectacular and the service was truly the best I've ever had. A huge thanks to Luc Beerepoot (now manager of Barefoot, got to visit his new restaurant) Annemieke, Paul, and the entire staff of Marandi. You guys rock!
    4. DJ Tino was the entertainment. Tino was great. The only thing I can say was that he didn't recognize when to start our bridal entrance song and so my mom had to get off the boat and get him to cue the music.
    5. Floritek by Wilson was my florist. He was truly amazing. He was prompt through emails and over the phone and really nailed the ideas that I wanted. In addition, he came through with a covering for our platform. Best florist, hands down on the island.
    6. Pelican Tours was our tranportation for our guests. We used a large catamaran to take our guests from the Westin dock area over to the island and then over to the restaurant on the water, Marandi. My only suggestion to brides is if you do decide to get transportation for your guests that will have a bar on board, is make sure you speak with the crew and are able to communicate the "atmosphere". We wanted more of a sunset cruise, whereas the crew attempted a spring break style booze cruise, which left a few of our friends a little bleary eyed. Honestly though, I'd rather hear that than they were boring.
    7. Aruba Gone Wild was our bus transportation home. AWESOME! Just an fyi, I love loud crazy techno and pop so this isn't a bus for everyone. We had a couple of older people that I'm pretty sure had ringing in their ears next morning. For a good last hour or two, this was the best for mainly young crowd.
    8. Rehearsal dinner was at Pinchos Grill. The food is awesome and the staff is great. We had a group of about 23 or so and it was really perfect. If you are looking for an intimate, elegant, small place, this is it. Annabella, the owner, was amazing through email and was very involved in getting us the food and decor we wanted. My husband was mainly the point person on this and I sent him a picture of flowers for the tables and she delivered the exact setting.
    9. Officiant Geoffrey Banfield performed our ceremony. He was readily available to meet with us and deal with any changes that we wanted to make to the script. In addition, he was amazing at his own add-lib and was creative and really made our ceremony both deep as well as humorous. I read about Geoffrey on this forum and I am truly impressed. He really made our ceremony what it was. Arlette, his manager, was also extrememly helpful. Geoffrey was not able to be on-hand for our rehearsal, so she stepped in to give our bridal party and us an idea of his usual process. Thanks so much to Geoffrey and Arlette.

Lastly, brides, if you are picky about certain aspects, things will be stressful. I had a very clear vision of what I wanted so if you're not sure, I would be clear about getting some more ideas from your coordinator. Most of the people I dealt with were Aruban and are usually not on a strict time schedule. So if you have a deadline, I would stress the importance as you wouldn't want to wait on an email or phone call any longer than you need to. I would stress the importance of confirmation and making sure to meet with people. Certain language barriers can sometimes pose problems that will drive any person crazy. Lastly, Aruba is truly amazing so if you decide to get married there, enjoy it...

Please reply to this thread if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.

One last thing, I visited Barefoot, the new restaurant on the beach by Pinchos and Havana, it was amazing, so if you have a chance to stop in there, you will not be disappointed.

T

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for your post.
    very interesting comments re: juney jones. i had never heard anything negative about him before.

i am so glad that the weather cooperated and all went well.
    many good years to you and your groom.
    thanks!!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Totally surprized with your somewhat negative reports about Juney also. I have only heard OUTSTANDING reports of his work. As an owner/lover of Rennaissnace suites/private island I am frankly surprized. All other reports have been outstanding.
    I hope you at least enjoyed some part of your wedding on the island !!! :>)
    My 2 daughters, when the time comes, will be getting married there...

With regards to recieveing a few personal messages that reflected my comments and feelings, I have to say that I feel as alot of the people who comment on these forums do not always communicate the truth. If you are reading this forum, you will notice who's on here to provide useful and truthful knowledge and who's on here to promote themselves or someone else (referring to vendor services here). The Renaissance Beach is such a beautiful and private beach location and anyone who's even considering it should have full knowledge of what they're getting into. Again, I stress, to take my comments coming from a bride, who's been coming to the island of Aruba for 10 plus years and who's family owns a vacation home and comes 4 to 5 times a year. I wrote this message as my experience from my wedding only.
    Last edited by tifger37; 10-20-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    My 2 daughters, when the time comes, will be getting married there...
    You have to hope that their husbands to be will agree!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Just to comment on Tfiger37 post, I will be getting married in August 2011 so I haven't had the full experience yet; however, I can say that there is a serious delay with Juney as well as Annie (the hotel coordinator) returning phone call and emails. often, days and sometimes weeks go by prior to me getting a response to a question that is important to me. I have been waiting on my reservation number for my guest for two months now! I hope in the end that I have all good things to say because this is my dream wedding but as of now, I get frustrated and annoyed

tfiger37 do you have pictures of your wedding?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    [QUOTE=tifger37;187342]With regards to recieveing a few personal messages that reflected my comments and feelings, I have to say that I feel as alot of the people who comment on these forums do not always communicate the truth. If you are reading this forum, you will notice who's on here to provide useful and truthful knowledge and who's on here to promote themselves or someone else.

Not here, have no need to promote myself or anyone else.
    Love the island, its people as you do.
    Best wishes on your marriage.

:>)

Aruba since 1979
    thank you for the editing/clarification.
    much appreciated.

re: vendors ranging from restaurant owners, taxi operators, photographers, DJs, florists, wedding planners, etc.... This forum has many postings from those mentioned. Most of the postings are legitimate and perfect and much welcomed. Sometimes those folks though, are self promoting blatantly with disregard for rules. It is with great care and thought, lisa and I go through the posts and scrutinized whether they are self promotions or not.

lisa and I read EVERY post.

in my post following this, i am going to post the entire rules as they are listed on the left side menu. the rules are quite clear about self promoting/advertising and signature lines.

most instances of difficulties, we the moderators have encountered is in re: SPAM and Self Promoting.

Quote Originally Posted by tifger37 View Post
    With regards to recieveing a few personal messages that reflected my comments and feelings, I have to say that I feel as alot of the people who comment on these forums do not always communicate the truth. If you are reading this forum, you will notice who's on here to provide useful and truthful knowledge and who's on here to promote themselves or someone else (referring to vendor services here). The Renaissance Beach is such a beautiful and private beach location and anyone who's even considering it should have full knowledge of what they're getting into. Again, I stress, to take my comments coming from a bride, who's been coming to the island of Aruba for 10 plus years and who's family owns a vacation home and comes 4 to 5 times a year. I wrote this message as my experience from my wedding only.

Aruba since 1979

aruba.com community forum rules

The Rules, Regulations, and Other Legal Information
    This bulletin board service ("Aruba.com Community Forum") is provided by Aruba.com to you ("you" or "user"), subject to the rules below. If you violate the rules you may permanently be banned from using the "Aruba.com Community Forum" and we will contact your Internet Service Provider regarding improper use of the Internet. Accessing the "Aruba.com Community Forum" will constitute acceptance of the rules below. If you do not agree to abide by these rules, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER OR USE "Aruba.com Community Forum".

Bulletin Board Rules:
    Listed below are some, though not all, violations which may result in Aruba.com banning/terminating or suspending you from using "Aruba.com Community Forum". You agree not to do any of the following actions while using "Aruba.com Community Forum". Moderators may, at will and without notice, remove postings or ban participants that are deemed objectionable or that violate this code of conduct. Moderators have the right to delete or add a statement or disclaimer in any posting.
    Please treat all other online participants with respect and do not use the "Aruba.com Community Forum" to threaten, harass, stalk, or abuse other users. Aruba.com reserves the right to remove user-created services and content that advocate or encourage expressions of violence, drug use, bigotry, racism, hatred, obscenity, or profanity.
    Respect the privacy of other members and individuals. Do not post personal information about them (i.e. Name, addresses, phone numbers, passwords, pictures, family names etc.) without their consent.
    Do not make any statement, accusation, comment, or opinion that may be considered (a) harmful to, libellous or slanderous to, any person, country or company.
    Do not malign, ridicule and/or insult anyone or make threatening or racial remarks to users of Aruba.com regardless of their status in life, political belief, ethnicity, race, religion and/or gender.
    Ignore trolls and troublemakers. Posting only encourages them. The threads may be entertaining to those individuals who are uninvolved in the personal attacks, but they only cause problems in the long term.
    Do not attempt to post topics with "hidden agenda" items while "hiding behind" the rules of this board so as to bait other members of this forum into a "flame" fight.
    Have respect for other opinions. If you disagree with someone, do not attack them personally. Try to make thoughtful comments about their opinion, perspective, assumptions, etc., but do not attack them personally. Everyone has an opinion based on a number of different factors, like their own personal experiences, values, etc. If someone disagrees with you, it is probably because they value one thing more than another. Attacking them does nothing but create anger and resentment. Discussing the values and perspective that underlies their opinions may increase your understanding and it may encourage them to see your perspective as well. Personal attacks are the tools of someone who probably doesnít have a very good point to make, or of someone who holds a belief that has no foundation in reasoned thought.
    Do not post any information, data, text, files, links, software, or other materials ("Content") that Aruba.com considers to be unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, inflammatory, derogatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, ethnically or otherwise objectionable; (G-Rated Material is the rule on our site - Please do not simulate curse words using ####, $, or *** etc. as replacement for letters).
    Do not use "Aruba.com Community Forum" to impersonate another person or misrepresent authorization to act on behalf of others including but not limited to, "Aruba.com Community Forum" officials, board leaders, or representatives.
    Use smiley faces, emoticons or other indicators of intent liberally. One of the major flaws of Internet communication is the lack of vocal inflections and visual indications of emotion, intent, sarcasm, etc. Be clear what you mean. Many problems occur because someone does not pick up on the sarcasm or otherwise get the joke.
    Do not post advertising, promotional materials, or any other forms of solicitation on "Aruba.com Community Forum". If you can answer a specific question by mentioning your business or website, or posting a URL thatís fine, but just posting your URL or any URLís not acceptable. Again this is not the area to post a link, encourage visitors to your website, or advertise your products.
    Do not attempt to contact the people who post messages on this "Aruba.com Community Forum" with advertisements or otherwise commercially motivated, unsolicited emails (SPAM emails) nor use the Private Message feature to do so.
    Donít say something to someone you wouldnít say to them in person. This wonít stop a few people from saying inappropriate things, and those people should probably learn a few lessons about tact, respect, decorum, etc.
    Do not intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including but not limited to any regulations having the force of law while using or accessing "Aruba.com Community Forum" or in connection with your use of "Aruba.com Community Forum" in any manner.
    Content:
    You must evaluate, and bear the risk associated with, the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any item you post to "Aruba.com Community Forum". Aruba.com does not pre-screen content as a matter of policy, but Aruba.com shall have the right, but not the responsibility, to remove content, which is deemed in Aruba.comís sole discretion harmful, offensive, or otherwise in violation of any rules Aruba.com has in place at the time. This also includes posting with hidden agendas.

"Aruba.com" may elect at its sole discretion to monitor some, all, or no areas of "Aruba.com Community Forum" for adherence to this agreement or Aruba.comís rules. You acknowledge that by providing you with the ability to distribute your postings, Aruba.com is acting as a passive conduit for such distribution. We reserve the right to modify or remove any content that violate any of the "Aruba.com Community Forum Rules".

Abide by Copyright Law
    Quote only what is necessary to support your point.
    Provide the relevant source information - website name, website address, article title, author, date, book title, publication, page number.
    When quoting from an on-line source, provide the URL (beginning with http://) of the specific page you are quoting. Unless the on-line document is not freely accessible to all, do not post it in its entirety.
    Please note that virtually anything you can find in print, on the web or off, is copyrighted. If you canít find a copyright notice it is best to assume the work youíre quoting is copyrighted and proceed accordingly.

We reserve the right to remove, after one request to the poster for the required information to be posted within 24 hours, any postings that is in violation of this rule.

Trolls and Trolling
    Trolls are not welcome and will be banned. An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. They try to start arguments and upset people. Trolls see Internet communications services as convenient venues for their bizarre game. For some reason, they donít "get" that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their "achievement" (as they see it). The anonymity of the net allows trolls to flourish. They are easily identified by the fact that they are constantly at odds with other members of the forum, and often "poke fun" at individuals they have disagreed with in the past, trying to provoke a reaction. Finally, trolls create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash. When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls canít handle is being ignored. Again we will ban anyone who practices "Trolling".

Thread Hijacking
    Keep threads on topic. If you wish to start a discussion on a new topic start a new thread please. We all know that conversations take on a life of their own, but we do not want to have thread subjects that have nothing to do with the threadís title. Stay on topic.

Signature:
    The goal of our signature rules is to avoid distractions while reading threads, stop solicitations and unwanted spam. These rules apply to all "Aruba.com Community Forum" users including moderators and administrators.

You may use a signature (also commonly used in email messages) on your posts on the Community Forum. You may set your signature in your member profile. Once you have a signature stored, you can choose to include it with any post you make by checking the "include signature" box when you create your post.
    Your "signature" may not exceed two lines, and may contain one image no larger than 10Kb in size, 300 pixels wide and 50 pixels high. A typical signature contains the posterís name, e-mail address, web site, and a favourite quote or saying.

While you are allowed to promote your personal web site(s) in your signature, you are not permitted to post excessive links to sites, any kind of affiliate programs with referrer IDs, or links that otherwise violate "Aruba.com Community Forum" Rules.

We reserve the right to remove any signatures that we deem inappropriate, without notice.

We donít advise putting your email, home address, or phone number in a signature line because of possible email harvesting and your privacy. For your protection we do not allow addresses and/or phone numbers in signature lines or the body of posts. We reserve the right to modify or remove any signature. Moderators will edit out signatures that violate any of these rules. We will send you one PRIVATE MESSAGE about an incorrect signature line. If you do not correct it, moderators/administrators have the right to access your profile and edit your signature line. If the problem persists you will be suspended from posting on the "Aruba.com Community Board".

User Names and Public Display Names:
    We request that you are responsible when choosing your user name. Please do not create user names that are blatantly racial, prejudiced, relate to "adult" activities, illegal acts or are inflammatory.

User Termination/Ban/Suspension:
    Aruba.com retains the absolute right to terminate any user id, to revoke an individualís posting privileges, to ban an individual from creating any new user ids, and to terminate any personís membership.

Liability:
    To the full extent permissible under the applicable law, Aruba.com shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages resulting from the use or inability to use "Aruba.com Community Forum" or for cost of procurement of substitute goods and services or resulting from any goods or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions entered into through "Aruba.com Community Forum" or resulting from unauthorized access to or alteration of profits, use, data, or other intangible properties, even if Aruba.com has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

What to Do:
    If you witness a posting on a "Aruba.com Community Forum" which violates the rules then in effect, please send a spam report by clicking on the button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast