Aruba Beach

Thread: Name Change/ Register in NYC after Civil Wedding

Talking Name Change/ Register in NYC after Civil Wedding

Hello! I just got back from the greatest trip of my life! My fiance and I eloped to Aruba and were married by the lovely Mr. Betto at the Town Hall. I have the translated Certificate of Marriage but am unsure what I am supposed to do now. Is this the "Marriage License"? I've spent two hours on the internet already! Do we need to register at a state, county, or city office here in New York City? I also want to change my name and wonder if I need to get another document for that. Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

I can help halfway as I don't really know where you have to be to make your necessary changes (Wish I did) but yes, the translated is your Marriage License and according to me that's all you need. I think Mrs Lutzker can chime in here and guide you in response to the rest of your question.

Bryan Morris

CONGRATULATIONS! First thing you need to do to change your name is go to your Social Security office with your original marriage license (the translated certificate you received from Aruba), i.d. (driver’s license), and fill out a form for a new ss card (found here: http://www.ssa.gov/gethelp1.htm). After you get a new social security card – which may take a couple weeks in the mail if you go to the ss office in person – then you need to go through the process of getting a new driver’s license. It’s a process, but if you want to change your name you have to get it overwith. Then, make sure you inform your work, bank, credit cards, doctors, friends, and family etc. of your new information. Then… go about happily as the new Mrs. ___! J

Thanks for your help!

Bucuti Beach Resort on a gorgeous sections of Eagle Beach, Mirandi's Restaurant
    I went to the ss office first, but i didnt have to. I got my new card (to be delivered in the mail later) but they give you a form that says you have a new card coming. At the dmv, i just took my regular drivers license and my marriage certificate and it was painless, got a new picture and it should be here any day. It was simple. Your marriage license is all you need to change your name anywhere. I went to the bank and got new bank cards and the new name on my account, no problem. Also, for your new passport, jus go to the post office and get a form. You do it all by mail, fill out the form, send in the 2 new pics, your old passport and a copy of the marriage license. They send your old passport back to you voided for a keepsake too! I know this cause I did it all last week, lol. I live in NH, but recently moved here from syracuse,NY and most of their state office stuff is the same, so I think you should be good. the only problem i can think of is that Aruba's marriage cert. probably looks really wierd to them, if it becomes too much of a hassle, just pay $35 and get married again by the j.o.p. and use the ny marriage certificate for the legal stuff, a lot of people do that we were told by the clerk. GOOD LUCK!