I'm helping my fiance to plan our wedding at the Marriott / Stellaris in September. We're starting to get a little nervous for a couple of reasons, primarily because they're not great about getting back to us (even though we've already paid the deposit) and because we're starting to worry that the ceremony is going to be cheesy / cheap. Maybe that's not a fair worry, but I'm getting no re-assurance from the marriott folks (and can rarely reach them).
So I was wondering if any of the veterans on this board can help set my expectations straight. I'd really appreciate it. I need a reality check. Here's are my questions / concerns:
1. Can I expect some OK level of quiet/privacy at the ceremony? It's sunset at the Marriott's beach, so I know it can't be completely private, but I'm starting to worry that we'll be doing our ceremony while kids fling frisbees around and while other tourists cluster around the ceremony uninvited. I've heard some similar anecdotes from people who have gone to other hotels, so I am worried.
2. Is it possible to do this simply and elegantly? We're thinking classical guitar player, maybe bring out own music, but again, worried that there will be boom boxes and lots of non-guests scampering around our reception.
3. How's the wind? Blow-your-hat-off bad, or just breezy?
4. Once it gets dark, does the Marriott provide flame torches etc? Or do we just expect standard electrical lighting.
5. Is there anyway to get in contact with the Marriott wedding people outside of Monday-Friday / 9-5? We both work full time, and on the rare occasion that we get to call the Marriott, we can never reach anyone. It's very frustrating. I keep getting an answering machine for their marketing department, but they never seem to want to return the call. I can't find a better number for the events folks, and it's making me nervous.
6. Is the Marriott / Stellaris hotel a place that you would categorize as "quite nice" or is it super cheezy touristiness? It's hard to get straight information on the overall experience outside of individual testimonials (which of course aren't that helpful since everyone has a different cheese threshold).
Finally.... let's say that the Marriott ends up looking incredibly cheesy.... based on your guys' feedback: Is there any beech in aruba where I could set up a fairly secluded sunset ceremony? Or am I basically dealing with the same problem everywhere? I know Mancheebo is supposed to be slightly less public, but if it's just shades of difference, I'm not that psyched.
Anyway, please help calm a worried potential groom!
Many thanks in advance!