Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this ridiculous??? In need of honest opinions...

Smile Is this ridiculous??? In need of honest opinions...

Hello everyone. I am new posting on here.

I wanted to get honest opinions on something please and if you have seen/heard of it being done...
    My fiance and I are planning on a religious ceremony in Aruba in October. He is in the military and gets back from Iraq in August. We are planning to legally get married in the U.S. in late August and then doing the whole wedding thing in Aruba. The U.S. Justice of Peace wedding will just be us and 1 witness. We are doing the JOP wedding b/c it just makes sense with the military situation. Right now I am nothing to the military and if he should get orders somewhere, I would not be included. Not to mention if we know we are getting married, we feel it would be ridiculous to dish out a bunch of money for health insurance, etc...just to wait a few months to make it legal.

So...my question is...is it absolutely ridiculous for us to have a wedding in Aruba (the dress, reception, DJ, exchanging of rings, etc) when we will already be legally married in the U.S. for 2-3 months prior to the Aruba wedding.

Just looking for insight and honest opinions.

Thanks so much!!!!

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Just call it a renewal of vows....do it on the beach at sunset with offical.
    I can recommend Rev. Bob Gibson. He did our 2oth anniv vow renewal on the beach with family and friends. It was held on the beach at Divi Phoenix. Thats my suggestion...

I do not think it's absolutely ridiculous to have a celebration of your marriage. My fiance and I are doing something similar - we are getting married legally in the US a few weeks before our wedding in Aruba, May 2009. We just felt that it was a huge hassle to go through the process of a civil marriage in Aruba, and so much easier in the US. Plus, it takes away some of the anxiety from the day. We will not be telling our guests about our legal marriage in the US. So, if you're asking about if it is ridiculous to spend the money if you are already married - I don't think so. Getting married in Aruba is going to be spectacular & your guests will have a wonderful vacation!

Thank y'all so much for your responses and encouragement. Although our guests will know about our legal marriage (b/c most of them are family), we are still telling them that this is when we will exchange vows, which is most important to us. Thanks again!!!

If you have any ??'s about what, where, etc to renew your vows this is the place to ask. There's alot of posters who have great idea's on what to do, where to stay, "rehersal dinners", locations..so ask away....we love to help, but you have to promise to post pictures later!! Check out my renewal pictures in the gallery on the beach. Best wishes

Will do! Thank you so much!!!! I'm going to go look at your pictures now

marinewifetobe, thank you for your fiancé's bravery and service to our country. From Rev. Gibons' website http://www.arubaeloquent.com/news.htm

"ARUBA SAND, SHELLS, & STONE BLESSING
    May the sands, shells, and ocean’s tides
    Bring many a blessing to this beyisimo Aruban bride
    May the salt grasses, sea breezes and gulls calling true
    Bring many a blessing to this loving and romantic Aruban Groom
    May your Days before you teem with sunlight, joy, and laughter
    And your nights be filled with a sea of serenity, tranquility, and peace
    May love always provide safe harbor, strength, and shelter
    And enfold you both . . . like this island’s bays, beaches, lagoons, and reef
    May your love be perpetual from now till the seas cease to ebb & flow
    And Aruba’s constant trade winds and cooling breezes cease to blow
    May your kisses be as plentiful as the Caribbean waves that wash over Aruba’s sand, shells, and stone
    And may your Marriage be forever blessed . . . by the rays of the sun . . . the light of the stars . . . and the shine of the moon"

Thank you so much! It always makes them feel good to know they have support....especially when they are "over there." I will certainly pass your message on to my fiance the next time I hear from him.

I have to check with my wedding planner, but I believe we have Rev. Gibson officiating our ceremony. If not I am going to request him. Although I did just try to send him a message from his contacts page and it wouldn't go through. I was wanting to ask him if he does the traditional religious vows that we are accustomed to here in the U.S.
    Thanks again! That is a beautiful poem and another great reason we are choosing Aruba to exchange our vows!

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    marinewifetobe, thank you for your fiancé's bravery and service to our country. From Rev. Gibons' website http://www.arubaeloquent.com/news.htm

"ARUBA SAND, SHELLS, & STONE BLESSING
    May the sands, shells, and ocean’s tides
    Bring many a blessing to this beyisimo Aruban bride
    May the salt grasses, sea breezes and gulls calling true
    Bring many a blessing to this loving and romantic Aruban Groom
    May your Days before you teem with sunlight, joy, and laughter
    And your nights be filled with a sea of serenity, tranquility, and peace
    May love always provide safe harbor, strength, and shelter
    And enfold you both . . . like this island’s bays, beaches, lagoons, and reef
    May your love be perpetual from now till the seas cease to ebb & flow
    And Aruba’s constant trade winds and cooling breezes cease to blow
    May your kisses be as plentiful as the Caribbean waves that wash over Aruba’s sand, shells, and stone
    And may your Marriage be forever blessed . . . by the rays of the sun . . . the light of the stars . . . and the shine of the moon"

I say do what works for you. It's no one else's wedding but yours and there's no better place, or more beautiful place to get married than Aruba. You'll be glad you did it! Best of luck to you both!

Reverend Gibson is the best. Check out my photo's, he did our ceremony and you would sware he "knew" us by the ceremony he did. What a nice man, another true gentleman, and very sincere. I hope you use him, he's the best !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast