Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By rettie2011
  • 1 Post By leighfrompoole

Thread: Sand Ceremony

Sand Ceremony

Hi all

We are deliberating whether to have a sand ceremony after our wedding in Oct....

Can anyone advise how long it takes?

Our wedding is at 4 so was hoping to have the ceremony / few drinks on the beach done by 5 as we are getting photos taken at the old lighthouse and need to be back in time for sunset and dinner...

Another concern is transporting it back to the UK on the flight... ive heard the sand can bleed / mix together... The vase we have chosen has a lid, but not sure it will be enough to keep it together...

Originally i thought it was aruba sand we would be using so it would be more special, but i believe we have to take our own? I suppose its more symbolic that anything else...

Your advise is appreciated...

Kerry

Rettie,

We gave them the language we wanted. I would guess that it will take 5 minutes.

I think you might be able to get Aruba sand. I know my hotel offered (for a fee) the sand set, but I had already bought ours. They also offered (for a fee) to make the sand into a candle. We opted not to do this, but I think that may be a regret of ours. . . . to me that is a neat idea for how to preserve it.

We definitely may have bleeding sand. . . but I guess that is just part of two becoming one. . . .

Aruba since 1979
    Kind of like transporting the ashes of dear departed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Margarita View Post
    Hello Rettie,

A sand ceremony takes about 3 minutes, and it happens during the ceremony itself, right before the officiate closes the ceremony with, "you may kiss the bride". There are three vases, two small ones with sand in it, and one big vase in which you both pour the sand in from the two smaller vases, they mix together and form one vase filled with sand from you both, symbolizing your union.

Concerning transportation back to the UK, as long as the container is airtight, you will have no problem of it spilling, and if the vase has a lit just wrap it in bubble wrap and tape the top.

Best Wishes,
    __________________________________________________ ____
    For all your Wedding Photography, Cinematography & Planning
    http://www.everafteraruba.com | http://www.jasonmargarita.com

Thanks all

It sounds so nice!

My husband and married in Aruba, at the Divi AI last October, and TRULY, the sand ceremony is one of our most treasured memories!! The sand ceremony occurred during our ceremony, took maybe 5 minutes, was videoed and our comments during the videotape are hysterical!! (I wanted to make sure it was pretty)LOL. it is pretty, it is BEAUTIFUL!! and one of our most treasured items from our time in Aruba. We worked with Aruba Weddings for You, they provided the vase and the sand, and we chose from the many colors of sand they had available. They wrapped it well in bubble wrap for our trip home, I carried it in our carry on, and it made it just fine!!! I LOVE IT!!! and the blessing that goes along with the ceremony is beautiful, and very "islandy" and since we were being married on the island, it is a very treasured memento!! I say DO IT!!!
    Tammy

Hi, Does anyone know if there is anywhere in Aruba that you can buy Sand Ceremony vases that have lids?

Hi Jason,

Thanks for that, they are hard to find in the UK. I don't suppose you know if they engrave these with the date etc., as well?

Kind regards

Thanks for your help with that, Jason..I might just take you up on that! : ) have a good weekend