Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tip the Vendors???

Tip the Vendors???

HI everyone....What is the etiquette on tipping the vendors for the weddings at these hotels? Especially if everything is part of a package? Any thoughts or experiences?

When we got married in Aruba, even though we booked the whole wedding package through the hotel, we still tipped all of the vendors, wait staff, reverand and wedding planner the same as if we had a wedding in the states. I also feel that it depends on the service you get, everyone that was involved in our wedding was wonderful and more than helpful so we were happy to tip everyone and they seemed to really appreciate it.

HI Kristin!

Can you tell me about how much? Did you go by percentages? LIke 20% of the whole bill divided to each person? I know that 20% is already included in the bill. Or did you just give each person $20 bucks/$50 bucks?

We really didn't have any particular method as to how we tipped each person, but from what I can remember this is what we gave:

Wedding Planner - $250 (on top of the fee that was added to our bill)
    Rev. - $100
    Photographer & Videographer - $150 each
    Steel Pan Player - $50 & his helper - $25
    Hair & Make-up - $250 (for me + 5 bridesmaids)

Wait Staff/Bartender/Chef's - I believe we had 2 waitresses, 1 bartender, 2 servers and 2 chef's at the carving tables and then the food & beverage manager was there with us all night, so I believe we ended up giving the manager $300 or $400 to split between the staff - and I know our guests left their own tips as well for the waitresses because they were excellent all night.

Hope this helps

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I have a question. If the place you're getting married at adds an 18% service charge, is that considered the tip? I know everything has an added service charge, even the arches. So my question is are they covered? I know the photographer, DJ, Steelpan, those are different because you're hiring them yourself (if you are).

But i am curiouse about that for the actual waitstaff at the wedding. thanks for any help

Aruba since 1979
    that is a good question for your wedding planner.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    I have a question. If the place you're getting married at adds an 18% service charge, is that considered the tip? I know everything has an added service charge, even the arches. So my question is are they covered? I know the photographer, DJ, Steelpan, those are different because you're hiring them yourself (if you are).

But i am curiouse about that for the actual waitstaff at the wedding. thanks for any help

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I checked with Lisa and that 18% is for the waitstaff, bartenders. so that's covered. The only thing for us would be Lisa, photographer, dj, steelpan or guitarist (whoever she decides on). Those would be people I would have thought since I'm doing them separately I would pay a tip to. But I had figured if I'm paying 18% service charge for the hotel, that should include the waitstaff and bartender otherwise what's the point, lol.

I checked with Lisa because I wouldn't want to assume and then find out the waitstaff didn't get a tip. I'd be mortified. So now I know they are covered. When I got married, the waitstaff was covered but I did tip the maitre'd and of course the DJ. The photographer was my friend who did it as a wedding present so she didn't get tipped, lol...

Just heard from the invite lady and she can do her invitations in a booklet form for a great price for up to 10 pages (not that she needs that many). I can't call MCM yet because I don't think the airlines will have posted the prices for next October so they wouldn't be able to give me a price on a package yet.

We are just moving along.

You know, it wasn't until after the wedding that I thought of that.

We had a service charge; We had no real waitstaff (other than cake and champagne as our reception was separate). For us, the service charge was the same as the spa service charge (similar if not a little more than indicated above). We didn't tip extra. We felt that was what the service charge was for. If I remember correctly, the service charge was about if not more than $1,000. That seems like a high tip for one cake server and one champagne server.

Hope we didn't mess up.

I decided that the waitstaff has their tip with the 18% included. Lisa said that's what the service charge was for. The only ones I need to tip are the photographer, who I assume will split it how he feels fit, the DJ, the wedding planner and the music for the actual ceremony (whoever she decides on). I don't believe there's anyone else I would need to tip. They are having their make up done (one of the bridesmaids is a hairdresser who is doing their hair). So the girls will have to tip the make up artist. But I believe that covers everyone.

But I agree with Richandliz. If you had a service charge of $1000 and had two people, that is an extremely high tip. Maybe I should get a job doing that, lol. So I think you were more than good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast