Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Torn about location... RIU vs. Renaissance

Question Torn about location... RIU vs. Renaissance

Hi Everyone,

FI and I got engaged at Christmas and knew right away that we wanted to get married in Aruba, even though we've never been there...
    That being said, our first choice was the RIU but then after seeing pictures of past weddings we thought that it wasn't a very private ceremony and after the semi-private dinner there is no place on the resort that we can continue celebrating with guests (ie disco) after the dinner. We were also told by FI's aunt (who went to the RIU for a vacation in February and talked with the WC) that the upgrade for the bride and groom for July 2012 was "unavailable" since half of the hotel is time-share and the upgraded rooms are already booked. Needless to say that we were heartbroken with all of this information because at first glance, the RIU seemed perfect. It's a gorgeous resort!
    Then we thought of the Renaissance (getting married on the private Island). We contacted Juney who was wonderful and prompt in getting back to us with any and all questions. But we have questions for past Renaissance brides or anyone who might be able to help out...

1) How did you get your pricing for your guests? I received a group rate from Annie (group sales) per room per night but when I contacted my local TA, he advised me that the tour operators that he knows of the deal with the Renaissance Aruba, base their rates on the non-AI package, which is NOT what we want. We want our guests to have a choice between AI and non-AI but he's saying that it's basically not available for AI. (I hope that makes sense)
    2) Did anyone not have a dinner reception on the island? We were looking at booking a package that's approx $3000 which included an hour and a half cocktail reception (along with a few other things). We're really trying to keep the costs down and from the research we've done, some hotels just block off an area of one of the restaurants so that you have a sort of semi-private dinner at no additional cost. Has anyone done anything similar?
    3) Which photographer did you guys go with? This package we're looking at includes a photographer but we're open to other suggestions.
    4) Which of the two sections did you stay at (Marina Hotel or Ocean Suites)? What helped you make your choice?

ALSO, if anyone got married at the RIU and could share some insight that would be great... We really are torn between the two and need to make a decision soon...

Thanks,
    Melly

Aruba since 1979
    melly
    i can answer none of your questions or concerns, but KNOW there will be plenty here that will give your perfect advice.

i do want to say congratulations and welcome to the aruba.com community forum.

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1049803
    click above link
    much reading for a sunday morning.
    refill your coffee.

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding,you have more than a year and will get plenty of answers to all of your questions.There are plenty of other options and I'm sure that others who have married on Aruba will be helpful.Good Luck

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Melly, check out the gallery pics and you can see the wedding set ups on Renn Island.
    The place is perfect...go with it

Hi Melly,
    Congratulations! We are getting married on the Island in August. Juney is wonderful. He sent me pictures of everything I asked for including set up of the buffet, bouquets, flower arrangements and so forth. We have never been to Aruba before but we chose to state at the ocean suites because we have children and so do our family members. We also chose the suite side because it's not just a room, there is a living area as well as a balcony that can be enjoyed. The Marina side, you do not have full use of the balcony and it is only a hotel room! The image that I get seems to be very nice, from the boat ride and so forth. We also decided to have the full reception on the island as well.

I hope this helps.

Two notes:
    About RIU, there has been a policy change, outdoor weddings can no longer be held until after 10 PM, they will tell you that you have to move the whole party back into the Ballroom, it's a shame, because this can be a hassle.

Renaissance, no such issues, private, I think it would be extrememly memorable
    Your online entertainment booking portal | Book a band of professional and seasoned musicians for your wedding, function or corporate event. Sample the available bands via our website: www.sunnyrayaruba.com

Aruba since 1979
    really?
    do you have a link so we can read the new policy from the source?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyray_Aruba View Post
    Two notes:
    About RIU, there has been a policy change, outdoor weddings can no longer be held until after 10 PM, they will tell you that you have to move the whole party back into the Ballroom, it's a shame, because this can be a hassle.

Renaissance, no such issues, private, I think it would be extrememly memorable

Hi sunnyray,

We are getting married at the riu in oct.

Im a little confused about your 10pm comment??? Did you mean the reception after the wedding rather than the wedding itself?? Our wedding is at 4pm then dinner at 6.30. We are not having a reception after that, as we are having one back in the uk. In any case, we havent received any policy change notifications from our planner or from our tour operator....

The riu is a lovely hotel....

Kerry

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast