Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Dress Nightmare

Wedding Dress Nightmare

I tried to post earlier and not sure where it went so I am writing again. I am leaving in three weeks and am having a wedding dress nightmare. I purchased dress at Davids Bridal and questioned them about the size they wanted to order and was concerned whether it would fit. The sales rep claimed the one I had on was a size smaller than she was ordering and assured me that it would fit. My sister and I went for fitting and the dress was so tight I almost cried. It was tighter than the one I originally tried on. The seamtress said it looked great and that is when the nightmare began. I told them I could not breath in the dress nor could I sit down. They placed there pins and sent me on my way.....

I returned Wednesday to pick the dress up and when i tried it on, I told her it was unacceptable. The chiffon that they adjusted on the outside of the dress was stiched incorrectly and falling wrong. They said they could fix that and told me to come back in 20 minutes. I went shopping next door and when I returned they were putting the bag in the bag. I told them that I wanted to try the dress on to make sure they had fixed it.

To my surprise, I said it looks the same. One seamstress said she could not fix it but 15 minutes earlier I was told to leave so they could fix it. I immediately asked to see a manager. I complained to her about the dress and the seamstress was tugging and pulling......I told them that I was very disappointed with the sales lady who sold me the dress and that she misrepresented the size I was trying on and what she was ordering. I then told the manager that I was lied to by their seamstress. They told me they would work on the dress and get the chiffon to fall correcftly. I still feel the dress is too tight. I explained to them them I was getting married in Aruba and wasnted it to actually be a little loose. They had the gaul to tell me to get a girdle to wear under my dress.

Well let me tell you, I was horrified and left the store. Now, I have worked too hard and have lost 21 lbs since November and have been working with a personal trainer. I had lost six pounds between the time I ordered the dress so when I went to pick it up last week, i never would have imagined the niightmare I am in. I am not sure if any of you are familiar with this bridal shop but sales are FINAL, as I am sure all wedding shops are. Mind you this dress was not cheap and I paid an additional $120 for alterations.

When my sister and I went to get fitted, I was in the shop next door and a dress caught my eye. It is a Calvin Klein sating gown....very simple. I left and had my fitting. I could not stop thinking about the dress so drove the 45 minutes the next day and purchased the dress and I have had it in my closet thinking I may be able to change and wear it to dinner.

I tried it on for my family today and they loved it.

They convinced me to fight the bridal shop. My father is calling the credit card company and I am going there tomorrow to tell them that their service and their dress are unacceptable. I am hoping to get a credit but am sure we will hae to fight over it.

I am so glad I went back to purhcase the other dress, which I will be so comfortable in and will not have to wear any shapers or girdles.

The dress at the bridal shop was over $800 with alterations......guess what the other dress cost? $45.....yup, that's right....$45. I did love the original I picked but I expected it to fit comfortably without having to wear a girdle.

Sorry, for the long post but I just had to share my wedding dress nightmare. I am sure in the end it will all work out. I will keep you posted on how I make out with the bridal shop tomorrow.
    Next Aruba trip in

Question TRYING to look on the bright side...

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. All that hard work for an ill fitting gown. You definitely do not want to be in the Aruban heat in something so tight you cannot breath.

If you are unable to get the original dress straightened out can you wear the Calvin Klein dress for the civil ceremony and beach wedding as well as dinner?

Maybe consider the CK dress $845 ($800 for the original and $45 for the CK) and be comfortable and beautfiul.
    I tried it on for my family today and they loved it.
    That has to count for something and they did not even see you with your hair and makeup done up.

When you get home you can get the $800 credit straightened out with the credit card company and you will still have had a beautiful CK dress for your perfect island wedding.

Aruba since 1979
    make sure that you tell david's bridal that you are writing of your horrid experience all over the internet.

put in a dispute NOW on your credit card.
    the credit card customer service is open 24/7 please call now.

i am glad that you did find a suitable dress.
    but that does not help the POOR customer service you received at davids

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    Definitely call the credit card company asap!
    I went thru something similar when I got married. The girls at the bridal shop convinced me that the dress I tried on was way too big (and it was big) and that I'd be safe to order the next size down. BIG mistake! I should've went with my gut because I knew it was easier to take in than let out. My seamstress had a horrible time trying to make it fit and I was trying to lose weight but it wasn't coming off the places I needed it to and I only had a few weeks as it was. My seamstress did the best she could with what she had to work with. I complained but didn't have the energy 2 weeks before my wedding - it was all going towards the last minute details.
    It's one of those things that will work out in the end. You will be a beautiful bride! I do hope you can get your money back - if not all, at least the alteration fee, something!!
    Let us know what happens!

Wow, Cathy. I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience. I had a last minute dress drama too, and two weeks before the wedding worried I wouldn't be able to wear 'the' dress. Luckily I also had a reception dress. It all worked out, but I know how it feels.

Sounds like dress number 2 was meant to be. You fell in love with it when you weren't even looking for a dress and it just happened to be there while you were struggling with your other gown. You're right about comfort -- it has to be comfortable. With the heat and humidity I bloated up and my rings and dress were a little tighter on the wedding day!

Good luck with the credit card company and thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure you will be gorgeous in a dress that sounds like it was unexpectedly meant to be.

Oh bless your heart! I also feel that it was meant to be for you to find dress number two. You want to be comfortable on your wedding day so you can enjoy each and every moment of that day!
    I do hope you get your money back, but what is really important is that you are getting married! Not only that but you will be in Aruba--so enjoy enjoy enjoy! Forget that dress, don't let it spoil your day!
    Keep us updated--good luck!
    Pat

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Cathy,
    I am so sorry all this baloney is happening to you.
    I hope that the CK dress makes you feel extra special.
    Screw David's Bridal. make sure u write them and put a hold on their acct thru your credit card company.

Whatever dress you wear, I'm sure you'll be a beautiful bride!

I hope you contact the credit card co.

Have agreat wedding in Aruba.

Aruba since 1979
    ok here is the "witchy" side of me...........
    if it were I
    i think i would make myself a big sign stating
    "DAVID'S is not to be trusted.
    They messed up my dress and
    will not make it right."
    then, i would sit outside the shop...not on their property though, and let
    others know the story.

pls let us know how you made out with the credit card company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast