Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another First Timer - Hi!

Another First Timer - Hi!

My husband and I are excited to be going to Aruba for the first time on October 21st and are staying for 2 weeks. We decided to rent a vacation rental home instead of staying in a hotel for this trip.

We're planning on renting a vehicle for the whole time. Would it be a good idea to have a jeep instead of a car for a few days, or is the whole island accessible by any car?

Also, we've been told that we can use the hotel beaches and hope to visit different places for a change of scenery. Will it be okay for us to use the hotel chairs if we order lunch or have a drink while there? Is there usually lots of parking?

We've done lots of travelling, but haven't been to the Carribean for a few years and are looking forward to seeing and experiencing another new place!

Will appreciate any advice you have.

Cheers!

You can use the beach directly across from the Divi Village Golf and Beach Resort. They have chairs on the beach and you won't have to buy any drinks there.
    In my opinion, this is the nicest beach in the hotel areas anyway.
    You'll need ajeep if you want to go offroad in the north part of the island, but everything mostly is accessible by car

Welcome to the forum.

FWIW, all beaches in Aruba are public.

Having said that, at the various resorts we have stayed at along Palm Beach, only hotel guests were allowed use of the shade palapas and chaise lounges as well as hotel facilities such as swimming pools. Countless times we have seen security ask non-paying guests to vacate chaises and palapas.

On more than one occassion at the Radisson we have even seen people who have paid for drinks be told they are not able to use the chaise lounges at both the pool and beach.

There are a few vendors along Palm Beach who for a charge, will rent chaise lounges and umbrellas.

another 1st

Is it better to rent a car before your trip or wait until you get there? We keep reading that we will need a 4 wheel drive yet when I go on the car rental sites I do not see jeep as an option. Any help would be appreciated.

hmmmmm....I was wondering if that might be the case. Our house is close to Palm Beach - I'm guessing someplace by the Fisherman's huts. Would there be anything available there?
    If all the beaches "are public" how could the hotel staff ask you to leave? Can you just put your own beach chair on the outskirts of the hotel properties?

With the beaches being public you will be able to place your towel or your beach chair on the sand but you will not be able to use the resort's shade palapas.

As to a car vs. a 4 x 4 it is a personal preference. You can get to just about any place you would need to get to with a car with the exception of the Natural Pool For driving through Arikok National Park and the northeast side of the island near tthe collapsed Natural Bridge and Bushirbana Gold Mill ruins, my dh prefers an SUV for the higher wheel base and many are AWD.

Thanks for the info - one more question: we have an 11 p.m. arrival time. Are there any car rental agencies open at the airport at that time, or should we just take a cab that night and look after the rental the next day?

Take a taxi your night of arrival.

There are agencies which will deliver a car to your resort (Royal) and do the paperwork there or take you back to their office (Amigo) to do the paperwork.

Baby Beach -just to be lazy and float on my raft and snorkle too
    I recommend taking a taxi as it will be dark and you do not know exactly where you are going. I know this from experience because we got lost at night trying to find a place we had rented and it did not help that I left my directions at home.

Try Hans from Tropic, he is great and has excellent customer service.

Jill

Hi BC girl will be in Aruba the exact same time. We'll be staying in our own home in the Palm Beach area. Curious to know where you are renting. You are going to absolutely love Aruba. Been going to Aruba since the 80's. Hope you have a great time.
    nboudria1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast