Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Aruba, here we come!

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar

Aruba, here we come!

Hello. My husband & I visited Aruba on a cruise port-of-call in December 2014. We loved it so much we planned a trip back as soon as we got home. Eight hours just wasn't enough time for this beautiful island. We're staying for a week this time.

First, we discussed how we were going to stay. We tossed around staying at a charming little quad named La Boheme. It had everything we were looking for. In addition to the unit, it had a pool we'd share with three other units, option to rent a vehicle, the vehicle would be at the airport with a dollar under the seat to get us out of the lot and a GPS programmed to the property. They also offered a cell phone for use while we were there. They'd loan us a cooler, rafts, chairs, even snorkel equipment (which we're bringing our own). The only thing that worried my husband was the A/C unit in the bedroom but not living room. He likes it cold. The only con was that the property wasn't an easy walk to the beach.

The other we looked at was Divi Golf & Beach Resort. While I was fine with charming, he thought the resort would be more comfortable. Next, it was whether we'd book the all-inclusive or not all-inclusive. Since we'd been to Aruba before on our port-of-call, we were able to see a lot of the island already so we knew there were grocery stores around as well as plenty of restaurants. We also wanted to "stay like a local", not beach ourselves at a resort, eating and drinking all day & night. There was more to see and we won't drink and drive. So, we called the resort and talked at length with one of their employees, Jessica, and booked a one-bedroom golf villa, not all-inclusive. The villa has a full-size kitchen. We'll put it to use. Planning on making our own breakfasts and lunches and dining out most nights. Of course, reviews lead us to Zeerover to bring back fresh seafood to grill.

Our plans basically include snorkeling at the various beaches, completing the rest of our windward side of the island tour by jeep (got through about half in December by ATV), swimming at the various pools at the resort and getting around the rest of the island. This is to also include bowling at the bowling alley we saw in December. While we're not bowlers at home, we have a standing bowing competition we started on our last couple of cruises. I keep squeaking by with a win. My husband is feeling confident that he'll get his win in Aruba.

We're renting a car for 6 days with a jeep for 1 day in the middle of the week. More4Less has been accommodating. They'll be picking us up at the airport and bringing us back when we drop the car off.

So after reading numerous posts & watching numerous videos, my husband's big plan is to go to Big Mama's on Baby Beach and eat the burger on the hotdog roll. Give me a grouper sandwich and Dutch fries!

We've been given great advice on getting groceries and liquors at Ling & Sons. However, on our last trip in December, we stopped at Superfood to get ice for our cooler for our ATV trip. Such a cool store. We'll be stopping there as well. All the Dutch items, WOW! Can't wait!

So, we've got 2 1/2 weeks until we're there. Any of you have any ideas or suggestions you'd like to share with us? We've read a lot but welcome any advice.

We love Aruba! ♥

Kellie & Robert
    West Palm Beach, Florida

Wow I'm excited just reading about your plans! Someone told me that the restaurant at baby beach was rather expensive and food not so good. I don't know if it is the one you mentioned but just a thought. With a car you will be able to explore all the beaches and the island. Have fun and write a report after your trip!

Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    Wow I'm excited just reading about your plans! Someone told me that the restaurant at baby beach was rather expensive and food not so good. I don't know if it is the one you mentioned but just a thought. With a car you will be able to explore all the beaches and the island. Have fun and write a report after your trip!
    With regard to Big Mama's...although we haven't purchased there our last two trips to Baby Beach, it was brought to our attention that's it has become more of a tourist trap, with the locals complaining about the elevated prices.

We alway way go to the Rum Reef, which is just around the corner. The food has always been consistently good and the draft beer ice cold. Just our opinion...
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Aruba since 1979
    Welcome to the Aruba.com community forum

Good choice Divi and I share the same opinion as Schexc re: Mama's food truck.

Your plan sounds great! Baby Beach is a fun and relaxing day. We didn't care for Big Mama's when we were there in November, but we didn't have the meals you want to try. The only thing I did enjoy there was the fruit punch - non-alcoholic, I know that is a shock to some coming from me , but I do remember it being refreshing.
    From your description on your plans, I think you should consider an amazing snorkel is Arubabob snorkeling with the water scooters. You may want to check it out, just google, you will find it. I posted some photos they took for us on the photo forum here. They take out small groups or private tours. We were with 2 other couples whom we did not know, but it still felt personalized. Mangel Halto is so colorful and there is so much life to see, that you can't really do on your own due to the currents. Best part is, you see so much, but it's only a 2-3 hour experience so you don't lose a whole day on the beach.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Sounds great...

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=773477

click above link for some tagged threads re: snorkeling from the shore

although the threads are somehwat old, they are still pretty informative

QUOTE=LeaveTheKidsWithMom;272395]Hello. My husband & I visited Aruba on a cruise port-of-call in December 2014. We loved it so much we planned a trip back as soon as we got home. Eight hours just wasn't enough time for this beautiful island. We're staying for a week this time.

First, we discussed how we were going to stay. We tossed around staying at a charming little quad named La Boheme. It had everything we were looking for. In addition to the unit, it had a pool we'd share with three other units, option to rent a vehicle, the vehicle would be at the airport with a dollar under the seat to get us out of the lot and a GPS programmed to the property. They also offered a cell phone for use while we were there. They'd loan us a cooler, rafts, chairs, even snorkel equipment (which we're bringing our own). The only thing that worried my husband was the A/C unit in the bedroom but not living room. He likes it cold. The only con was that the property wasn't an easy walk to the beach.

The other we looked at was Divi Golf & Beach Resort. While I was fine with charming, he thought the resort would be more comfortable. Next, it was whether we'd book the all-inclusive or not all-inclusive. Since we'd been to Aruba before on our port-of-call, we were able to see a lot of the island already so we knew there were grocery stores around as well as plenty of restaurants. We also wanted to "stay like a local", not beach ourselves at a resort, eating and drinking all day & night. There was more to see and we won't drink and drive. So, we called the resort and talked at length with one of their employees, Jessica, and booked a one-bedroom golf villa, not all-inclusive. The villa has a full-size kitchen. We'll put it to use. Planning on making our own breakfasts and lunches and dining out most nights. Of course, reviews lead us to Zeerover to bring back fresh seafood to grill.

Our plans basically include snorkeling at the various beaches, completing the rest of our windward side of the island tour by jeep (got through about half in December by ATV), swimming at the various pools at the resort and getting around the rest of the island. This is to also include bowling at the bowling alley we saw in December. While we're not bowlers at home, we have a standing bowing competition we started on our last couple of cruises. I keep squeaking by with a win. My husband is feeling confident that he'll get his win in Aruba.

We're renting a car for 6 days with a jeep for 1 day in the middle of the week. More4Less has been accommodating. They'll be picking us up at the airport and bringing us back when we drop the car off.

So after reading numerous posts & watching numerous videos, my husband's big plan is to go to Big Mama's on Baby Beach and eat the burger on the hotdog roll. Give me a grouper sandwich and Dutch fries!

We've been given great advice on getting groceries and liquors at Ling & Sons. However, on our last trip in December, we stopped at Superfood to get ice for our cooler for our ATV trip. Such a cool store. We'll be stopping there as well. All the Dutch items, WOW! Can't wait!

So, we've got 2 1/2 weeks until we're there. Any of you have any ideas or suggestions you'd like to share with us? We've read a lot but welcome any advice.

We love Aruba! ♥

Kellie & Robert
    West Palm Beach, Florida[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum!! Sounds like a great time you have planned! I'm so excited for your trip! lol

What an awesome thing to have a bowling competition on vacation only, something you don't usually do at home, that's kinda cool
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice.

The video we watched of Big Mama's might have been old. We'll be spending time at that beach anyway. We'll just take a look and see if it's something we'll be doing. Rum Reef sounds like an excellent option. Thank you schexc!

We'll also be checking out Arubabob online, Traceyd14, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/search.php?searchid=773477

click above link for some tagged threads re: snorkeling from the shore

although the threads are somehwat old, they are still pretty informative

Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    That's a shame about Big Mama's. The video we watched was made by locals so we thought it would be good but it might have been old, filmed years ago. Andrea mentions the same so I guess since we'll be a Baby Beach anyway, at least one day, we'll check it out and see what happens. If not, Rum Reef that schexc mentions sounds like a good option too.

We'll definitely report back after our week in paradise! Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast