Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Aruba Newbie

Aruba since 1979
    hi kayran!
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

where is flamingo island? do you mean renaiisance or depalm island? there are 2 islands that have beaches
    both are privately owned

1. depalm island; and there is a daily admission
    it includes, ferry to the island, all inclusive food/beverage and snorkel and beach and waterpark which is geared for kids 12 and under.

2. renaissance island; is a private island accessible by ferry for guests of the 2 renaissance resorts. the island includes 2 beaches...a family beach with a resturant and an adult only beach and that beach has flamingos.
    the admission is based on census at the renaissance resorts. if they are 80% full they do not open it to the public. the day pass includes ferry, lunch, lounge, a float and the day at either the family or adult side. it is approx $90-$100 pp.

Eagle Beach is across the street from PBV and you will love it there.

Welcome aboard.QUOTE=Kayran;316242]I'm a newbie as well - we'll be coming for the first time on May 20th - and i have to admit to reading this forum daily -it's so fun - and so informative - thank you! We have thought about going to Flamingo Island - yea or nay? I have read your restaurant reviews and look forward to trying a couple. We are staying at Paradise Beach Villas - and i understand their breakfast is pretty good - so thinking thats a given....poolside....so looking forward to the pool and Eagle Beach.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Have been out with a kidney stone that is still waiting to pass - i told the dr - it HAS to be gone by the 20th!! I hadn't heard of DePalm island - is that worth going to - i was referring to the renaissance one -
    I am so looking forward to Eagle Beach - and at this point -just relaxing! If the weather says it is going to be 'overcast' all week - i shouldn't worry, right?
    thanks!

Don't worry about the weather. The sun is so hot you may be wishing for a few clouds...

Welcome to the Aruba.com Community Forum Kayran!

The Islander Grill located at La Cabana (next door to PBV) has a really good breakfast - buffet on Sundays - regular menu the rest of the week. Make sure you check out the food truck in the Eagle Beach parking lot for lunch. It's awesome!

You're right - don't worry about the weather
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Get well fast!!!
    kidney stones are very very painful and I wish you well
    Correct re weather .... no concern
    good luck and keep us updated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayran View Post
    Thank you! Have been out with a kidney stone that is still waiting to pass - i told the dr - it HAS to be gone by the 20th!! I hadn't heard of DePalm island - is that worth going to - i was referring to the renaissance one -
    I am so looking forward to Eagle Beach - and at this point -just relaxing! If the weather says it is going to be 'overcast' all week - i shouldn't worry, right?
    thanks!

Welcome to the forum and get well real quick. You will love Aruba.

Thank you - I appreciate all of your warm responses - still waiting on the stone...sigh...
    Jacki - breakfast is my favorite -so thanks for that tip -and I plan on spending afternoons on the beach, so the food truck idea makes me happy!
    And - so glad the weather is not a concern! 9 days to go!!!

So - I am two days away from leaving - and the xray shows the kidney stone is still sitting there - i feel okay - and am coming anyway - but thought this would be a good place to ask about medical care SHOULD i need it. It would only be in an emergency - i'm sure I'll be fine - but are there any suggestions? Thank you!

While I don't have first hand knowledge, I do know of others who have been very happy with their care at the hospital in Aruba. There is also an urgent care that has a good reputation. We always buy travel insurance that has medical insurance as some insurance companies won't cover if out of the country.

I had to use the hospital once when I was there. I had strep throat (unbeknownst to me at the time and the frozen drinks were not help no matter how much I tried!!) The hotel suggested the hospital as it was close by. Off I went and must say it was a pleasant experience in the ER. I only had to wait a short time and a very nice doctor took very good care of me. I had to get a prescription and unfortunately the pharmacy there was closed by that point. We hopped in a cab and they took me to a pharmacy, waited while I got my prescription and took me back to the hotel in time for our dinner reservation. One tablet of my z-pac and I was ready to go again. It was 7-8 years ago but I think the total charge for the ER was $55.00 - can you image what they would have been in the US and I probably would have been here for hours. The prescription was only a few dollars and I think the cab ride was $20 - all in all a very good experience. I hope the kidney stone behaves itself and you can enjoy your vacation!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast