Aruba Beach

Thread: Aruba newbies

Aruba newbies

Hello!
    23 days and counting til we get to paradise!
    I wondered if anyone would be able to advise us of the existence of a simple boat trip around Aruba? Most of the trips i've found involve snorkeling, problem being my youngest child can't swim, which on a snorkeling trip isn't ideal! I love being on the water and would ideally like to go right the way round the island.
    Also any nuggets of information...we're staying at the Tamarijn. Tipping etc? Many thanks in advance

Hello Searching and welcome to the forum. We arrive at the Tamarijn on the 17th of June for our third stay and 18th visit to Aruba. For info on tipping and other info about the resort, there are a number of threads at http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/tamarijn%20review.html

you may wish to check out http://www.aruba.com/forum/f18/tamarijn-all-inclusive-12-22-1-3-08-food-beverage-service-29880/

You can read the entire review starting here along with Tamarijn photos and a link to my review from our stay last year.

Of course, I would by happy to answer any other questions. We have a 13 yo dd who uses the kids club and loves it and their staff. Here is a link to the typical kids club acdtivities.

As to the boat ride, you are not going to want to ride around the entire island. The ocean on the windward side of the island will be very rough and more than likely much more than you bargained for in an ordinary boat ride. Click on the thumbnails below to enlarge.

For the ride itself along the leeward side of the island, I would check with Roberto's Watersports http://www.robertoswatersports.com/ A ride along the leeward side would be much more tranquil along the lines of
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 11-08-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    here is how we tipped the few times we stayed at the tamarijn
    ( gratuities are included in your overall price, but i know that are insufficient)

bartender.....$5 a day
    alacarte dinners $5 each evening
    breakfast $3 each morning
    lunch $3
    snacks $1 in the container easc time
    housekeeper $6 a day

we figured on about $25 per day
    andrea

Many, many thanks for the kind responses. I'm getting really excited about our trip now! Your answers were 'spot on'

Interesting note...

I read on another forum this a.m. about someone trying to tip a housekeeper at the Tamarijn. They kept leaving the money for her and she would not take it. Finally they caught up to her and asked her why she would not take it and she simply replied, that there was no note instructing her to do so. She would never swipe the cash in that it could be perceived as stealing.

Also...Knowing in advance that there were no "in room" coffeee makers at the Tamarijn, this couple had brought along on their trip, a newly purchased $15 coffee maker. Upon check out, they asked the housekeeper if she would like to have the coffee maker along with leftover coffee. They said she was so very grateful and gladly accepted the gift.

that is great, it would be so nice if eveyone was that honest
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    what a wonderful story on honesty

and a great idea about a $15 coffeemaker for the room at the tamarijn

i for one, moaned and groaned and whined making the trek (maybe 75 steps) from our unit at the Tam to the coffee machine/dispenser.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Interesting note...

I read on another forum this a.m. about someone trying to tip a housekeeper at the Tamarijn. They kept leaving the money for her and she would not take it. Finally they caught up to her and asked her why she would not take it and she simply replied, that there was no note instructing her to do so. She would never swipe the cash in that it could be perceived as stealing.

Also...Knowing in advance that there were no "in room" coffeee makers at the Tamarijn, this couple had brought along on their trip, a newly purchased $15 coffee maker. Upon check out, they asked the housekeeper if she would like to have the coffee maker along with leftover coffee. They said she was so very grateful and gladly accepted the gift.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 05-29-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: closed the quote ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post

We have had a similar experience at Renaissance. For years, we've tipped daily, and have learned to make it clear that the money is for them.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

For a boat trip around the island, you can stop in at the main Harbor in Oranjestaad and talk to one of the fishermen there who might give you a cruise along the western side. Eastern side is quite rough. Please wear your life jacket, especially those who can't swim.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

If you are seasick prone - don't go the east side - another interesting cruise is from Oranjestad to San Nic - really a different slant on the island too!