Aruba Beach

Thread: Finally, returning to Aruba

Smile Finally, returning to Aruba

My husband and I honeymooned on Aruba in 1989 and stayed at what was then the Americana (Occidental now?) We returned several times before having children and then again returned in '96 and '99 for our 10th anniversary.

We celebrated our 20th anniversary in December and will arrive in Aruba April 5th. I've been reading the posts here and it appears many things have changed since our last visit.

Obviously, like most others, we love Aruba for its sun, sand and people, but we also love Amstel. Can anyone tell me what Amstel Bright is? I've seen it mentioned a few times.

Also, we usually rent a jeep for a day and take our own "island tour". We never reserved a jeep ahead of our visit, but were wondering if we can still just get a daily rental once we are there and decide what day we'd like to do that. Will we be able to do that considering it will be the week after Easter.

I am gathering the necessities; sunscreen, swimsuit, flip-flops and whatever clothes will fit after a long, cold, snowy Ohio winter.

Welcome and Your story is very similar to mine.Do you stay at the Occidental?We too stayed at the Aruba Americana in 1982 low and behold 26 years later we went back and got "talked" into taking a tour.Yes we did buy and at that time we didn't know it was the old Aruba Americana.Talk about coincidence.We have gone back every year since 2008(sometimes twice in the same year)Enjoy your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by AUA1989 View Post
    My husband and I honeymooned on Aruba in 1989 and stayed at what was then the Americana (Occidental now?) We returned several times before having children and then again returned in '96 and '99 for our 10th anniversary.

We celebrated our 20th anniversary in December and will arrive in Aruba April 5th. I've been reading the posts here and it appears many things have changed since our last visit.

Obviously, like most others, we love Aruba for its sun, sand and people, but we also love Amstel. Can anyone tell me what Amstel Bright is? I've seen it mentioned a few times.

Also, we usually rent a jeep for a day and take our own "island tour". We never reserved a jeep ahead of our visit, but were wondering if we can still just get a daily rental once we are there and decide what day we'd like to do that. Will we be able to do that considering it will be the week after Easter.

I am gathering the necessities; sunscreen, swimsuit, flip-flops and whatever clothes will fit after a long, cold, snowy Ohio winter.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the forum
    i bet you are very excited.

you should have no problem getting a jeep rental for a day.....what are your dates?
    Holy week and the week after easter are BUSY.
    The 3rd week in April is busy as it is school break in the north east .
    If you are not going to be on island during those time periods you should have no problem getting a 24 hr rental.

Amstel bright delicious beer.
    I like better than Balashi....then again i am not much of a beer drinker.

jeep

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately, we'll be there the week of Easter. We'll just trust our luck. If it doesn't happen, I'm happy on the beach. I know that is a busy time of year, but that just happens to be when the kids will be with grandma and the perfect opportunity for us to get away.

Druif Beach, Downtown, our condo at Divi Golf and Beach resort, the pool there, Smokey Joes BBQ, Salt and Pepper, Mi Dushi Bagels, El Gaucho, Pizza Bob's...everything!
    Think of Amstel Bright a little like Corona, very smooth and refreshing and my wife likes it with lime. A very good beer, first thing we do when we get to the island is hit Ling and Son's for Bright and Balashi. As well as some groceries too! Have fun! Can't wait myself!

Yes, we too hit the grocery store to load up on the Amstel before even hitting the hotel . Since we can only get Amstel light in the states, that is what I usually order, and I so look forward to the "real thing". Drinking an Amstel light in Ohio while looking at the snow just does not compare to drinking an Amstel on the beach under the Aruban sun surrounded by palm trees swaying in the tradewinds. AAAHHH. 18 days.

Yes, we too hit the grocery store to load up on the Amstel before even hitting the hotel . Since we can only get Amstel light in the states, that is what I usually order, and I so look forward to the "real thing". Drinking an Amstel light in Ohio while looking at the snow just does not compare to drinking an Amstel on the beach under the Aruban sun surrounded by palm trees swaying in the tradewinds. AAAHHH. 18 days.
    If you're getting to Aruba on Easter Monday, Ling & Sons will be closed. (I sent an email asking about it because we had planned to stop there on our way from the airport on that Monday). Now, we're going to order a Tuesday delivery, because I definitely don't want to take up precious beach time running to the store.
    No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problem
    Next Aruba trip in
    Loving Aruba Since Honeymoon 1984

After a cold, snowy northern Virginia, we're returning to Aruba after a five year "drought" (if you will ). Thank you for posting your question about the jeep rental during Easter week. We thought about renting once we're there, but I guess it would be wise to take care of the rentals beforehand (and probably the tours, as well).

I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your stay on Aruba!

Terri

14 days and counting...

Hi AUA 1989:

Welcome back to "Aruba," aka "One Happy Island," and most importantly, welcome to the Aruba.Com Website. As you probably have learned by now; we are definitely a lot of people joined together with a sincere love of the people there and the Island...a large family group.

Just another note; I cannot tell you about beverages...others have already done so...but I thoroughly enjoyed the "Aruba Americana; which was an "All inclusive," if one chose. Now, as you say, it is the Occidental (sp).

Needless to say, you will have a wonderful time; and hope the rental works out to your satisfaction.

Ed