Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time to aruba july 22-29 2008

I will answer this question site unseen. THE OCEAN AND BEACH

Smile first time to aruba july 22-29 2008

Hello all,

I will be visiting the end of July with my husband and 16 year old son. We are staying at the Holiday inn sunspree going all inclusive . Has anyone stayed at this hotel? I booked the jr suite at the hotel, does anyone know anything about these rooms, i've requested a rollaway bed for my son instead of him having to sleep on pull out couch. also they say they have self serve laundry anyone know anything about this. I wouldn't mind having to do a couple loads of laundry to eliminate having to bring so much with us.
    I understand that it is very windy there, which I'm sure is a blessing with the heat, but we love to be in the water snorkeling, jet skiiing, swimming, floating etc. does it make it to rough for these activities? Any suggestions on fun cruises to take, it's a must for me to get out on a boat when I'm in the caribbean, the water is so beautiful.

are prices for things at stores, restaurants, activities etc posted in U.S. $$ or do we need to do conversion from I believe its the florin to the us$?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated, I would like this trip to be as relaxing for me as possible, and is sometimes hard when you have to take care of everything for the family.

thanks
    D

Banned
    It's not that windy there. you will find all those activities you like outside holiday inn or quite nearby on the beach. They take american money. Many prices are in american/and or florins. have correct or near coreect change for public bus ($2.30 round trip from HI to downtown.) Ask for pass when you get on.

try the Tattoo party boat (18 and over) or the family sunset cruise on Palm Pleasure. also get a glass bottom boat tour over sunken wrecks at wharf by HI or do the jolly pirates snorkel tour.

Depalm discover aruba bus or jeep tour for a 1/2 day. ends with snorkeling at baby beach.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Most everything is in US $$.
    Wind in lovely, you never feel hot.
    haven't stayed at HI AI, but plenty of others on this site have.
    The Palm Pleasure boat is the BEST, both the sunset and snorkel sail are the best in my honest opinion.
    Places you must eat: Madame Jeannettes, Flying Fishbone...
    Cab rides are mostly 10.00 one way, bus system is good.
    Rent a car for a day or two and tool around the island, not a lot to see, but its worth the ride around.
    You will fall in love with the island, I speak from our 12 visits. Enjoy, and ask away for questions.

You'll find plenty of answers searching the boards here. Dollars are accepted everywhere. You may get florins in change but that's okay. Holiday Inn is well connected to the transport system, you can walk across the street to Herencia Mall and other great places including plenty of restaurants.

Enjoy and then post a trip report so we know how it went. Don't forget the photos. We'll be there, on the island. See you around, maybe at Charlie's Bar, San Nicolaaaaaaas!
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

i<3aruba

I am going the same week you are going. Im actually leaving the same day. I might be staying at the holiday inn, make sure that you have your room in the main buildin otherwise you wont be too pleased, it is definately worth paying a little extra for. I am new to this forum but not to aruba. My father does a lot of work on this island. It's like a second home for me.

Make sure you visit Texas De Brazil, its fabulous.

See you around the hotel!!

alessia

I will answer this question site unseen. THE OCEAN AND BEACH

Wink

Alessia
    It sounds like you've stayed@ H.I. Do you know anything about these jr suites with sep living room dining areas? I called the hotel directly and explained that I was disabled, not needing a handicapped room, but would need to be close to beach and pool, and they told me that I would be in the aruba or bonaire towers. Is this a good area? and should I trust that this is what they will give me? any idea of the cost of jet skiing there?

Thanks all for your responses, they are much appreciated
    Last edited by beachbum617; 06-14-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Hi Beach Bum,

I just returned from Aruba....

The tradewinds were strong, but very much needed. Out of 6 days, we only had one day where it was too windy to enjoy the beach (winds were up past 40mph...so the sand was blowing and stingy). Not to worry though, we were able to enjoy the pool instead...so no complaints there.
    The winds did not effect our snorkeling/water activities at all...

We only paid in U.S.D. during our trips. Your bill will have two totals listed on it, the local currency and dollars. Most places include the gratuity charge (which is divided out amonst the service staff)..and if you were extra satisfied with the service, you leave an additional gratuity (which we did alot).

Dining suggestions (from the one of the worlds pickiest eaters... Me!):
    El Gaucho's -- best filet mignon in years!
    Iguana Joe's -- ultra casual, great jerk chicken! (my boyfriend would recomment the jumbalaya)

Enjoy your trip to Aruba!

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum617 View Post
    Alessia
    It sounds like you've stayed@ H.I. Do you know anything about these jr suites with sep living room dining areas? I called the hotel directly and explained that I was disabled, not needing a handicapped room, but would need to be close to beach and pool, and they told me that I would be in the aruba or bonaire towers. Is this a good area? and should I trust that this is what they will give me? any idea of the cost of jet skiing there? Thanks for your responses, they are much appreciated

The Aruba & Bonaire towers are by the hotel lobby (Bonaire tower the closest). The Curacao Tower (where you don't want to be) you have to walk outside the main hotel to get to the building.

Cool Holiday Inn is Fine

The Holiday Inn is a fine resort. That being said, I would make sure you are located in one of the Bonnaire or Aruba towers (they are newly renovated and closer to all of the "action" at the hotel (i.e. the pool, the restaurants, stores and beach).

I have not tried doing laundry nor have I seen a junior suite, however, the water by the beach is very calm and will not affect your watersport activities.

As for a cruise, you may want to try Jolly Pirates. They are located next to the Holiday Inn and offer a variety of reasonably priced snorkeling/sailing trips.

BEACHBUM: Ok doll. Im staying at the Holiday Inn. Ive been to Aruba many times. Did you say that this was your first?

Yes, they're right, whatever you do, make sure you are not in the curacao tower. Its horrendous. If you end up there its worth to pay a little extra and upgrade, Ive stayed in the Aruba tower, and its just fine. The customer service is fine there, they're all very nice people, and are good with accomodating your requests. We got a superior room, Im not sure what the junior suites are like, but again if the suite is in tower A or B it will be fine. Im excited for you.

Where are you flying out from if you dont mind me asking?! Im from Toronto. Im going with my Parents, brother and boyfriend. My brother is around your sons age.

I have left you a private message in your inbox with my email if you need anything else.

a*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast