Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time to Aruba, Long time Lurker

First Time to Aruba, Long time Lurker

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the boards for a couple of months doing research for my trip. I have to say reading all your posts have really hightened my excitement.

I'm leaving for Aruba on the 21st of this month and returning on the 28th. I'm going with two of my girlfriends and we're in our mid 20's.

I've gotten alot of info from the boards and wasn't sure if I wanted to register or not, but seeing as how I've only got three weeks left before I leave and still have unaswered question here I am.

We'll be staying at the Riu Palace in an all-inclusive package as one of us is an employee of Suquest vacations and we're getting her fabulous staff rate.

Being born and raised in downtown Toronto (which has a decent public transit system) none of us have learned how to drive, lol, that being said we were thinking of renting bicycles for a day or 2 to tour the island on our own. I've heard alot of good things about Aruba safety wise, and was wondering if we should really be doing something like that on our on. Or if the normal safety steps that I would take in a big city are good enough.

Also should I bring USD, Florins, or a mixture of both?

And lastly what is the ONE thing that you would recommend everyone do when visiting Aruba?

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the forum.

I would depend on the bus system for transportation.

For touring, how many miles can you pedal in a day, in the heat?
    Figure "feel like" heat values of about 39 C.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    US $ good, you don't need florins. I would forget the bike and use the bus system. I wouldn't say aruba is bike friendly IMOP. You could have a taxi tour of the island or hop on the tour bus to get a feel for the island.
    Boat rides, snorkle cruises, a short 3 hr tour are all good things. If you wanted to get fancy hop on the banana bus, tour the beer plant, tour the aloe plant factory, see one of the havana type shows, visit the dancing water at the mall in the high rise area, ah...you'll have lots to do and nothing, YOUR CHOICE....enjoy !

Thanks Aruba Lisa.

I think we could do about 4 - 8 kilometers (3 - 5 miles) at a time so I figure depending on how much we want to see we could do it in 2 - 3 days. We'd be taking breaks for water and snacks, taking our time seeing the sites. Toronto weather in the summer easily reaches 40 C with humidex. I'm more worried about the 'safety' of doing something like that seeing as we'd be young women alone in a foreign country. My husband seems to think it's a bad idea, but from every thing I've heard, on this board and else where, Aruba is very safe.

Welcome to Aruba

Hi:
    I will be in Aruba at the same time and my husband is not joining me until October. Now, I am somewhat older than you Gals but I hail from Halifax ( a fellow Canadian) and I would be happy to spend a day taking you around a bit. Just send me a private message if you are interested.
    Stella

Quote Originally Posted by aoeTaleah View Post
    Thanks Aruba Lisa.

I think we could do about 4 - 8 kilometers (3 - 5 miles) at a time so I figure depending on how much we want to see we could do it in 2 - 3 days. We'd be taking breaks for water and snacks, taking our time seeing the sites. Toronto weather in the summer easily reaches 40 C with humidex. I'm more worried about the 'safety' of doing something like that seeing as we'd be young women alone in a foreign country. My husband seems to think it's a bad idea, but from every thing I've heard, on this board and else where, Aruba is very safe.
    Safety would not be an issue at all. Touring though only by bicycle I think you would miss out on a lot. You would be able to go north to the lighthouse which is about 5.6 km each way and Oranjestad is about the same distance each way with beautiful scenery in between. But other sights to see such as Arikok National Park are about 13 km as the crow flies, so much further riding roadways. Baby Beach is about 25 km each way as the crow flies.

This map http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5713187&lon=-70.0474548&z=12&l=0&m=a&v=2 of Aruba will show you the location of the Riu http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5669415&lon=-70.0482917&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2 in proximity to the spots you may wish to see. As you can see from the island view, Palm Beach where the Riu is located is at the upper northwest coast of the island. Like Cindy said, imo, take a tour of the entire island to get a real feel for it. What you would be able to reach by bicycle would only be half of it.

Smile

Everything worth seeing is too far to pedal. Plus the roads arent real wide so that would be the saftey issue. Not anyone taking you. I would do some tours like a jeep tour that they will drive you around to see the Island. You will have it so nice at the Riu, you might just hang out there the whole week. Its a very nice place and has a nice beach to walk. At night you have alot of places that you can walk to. Have fun and enjoy!!
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Aruba since 1979
    lots of the places that touring would be are definately not bike friendly.

also too although the main roads are fine for driving a car, my opinon is that manyroads are not safe for bikes. there are areas where there are may be some blowing sand patches and that is treacherous.

andrea

Thanks everyone. You are all really helpful!

So my last question is "If there is ONE thing that everyone should do when visiting Aruba what would it be?"

Aruba since 1979
    check out this thread!
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/f7/if-the...e-thing-33091/

lots of ideas and good suggestions.
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by aoeTaleah View Post
    Thanks everyone. You are all really helpful!

So my last question is "If there is ONE thing that everyone should do when visiting Aruba what would it be?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast