Aruba Beach

Thread: First-time visitor arrives Friday w/ ?s

First-time visitor arrives Friday w/ ?s

Hello everyone,

I've been cherry-picking information from the message board for the past 7-10 days, looking to figure out the do's and don'ts for my first visit to Aruba. I'm excited to get there for some much-needed R&R and am feeling a bit mentally on vacation right now.

I was given a week in a timeshare and didn't have much time to plan, so I'll be embarking on my first vacation solo in more than 20 years when I went to Wyoming not knowing a soul. Am looking forward to being on my own schedule and turning this into a memorable adventure in a place people dream about going.

To make it the best 8 days possible, I have a few questions that I haven't been able to pick up from the site (excellent information, by the way, and much obliged):

Thanks beforehand for your time and input, any info would be nice.

1. If I were to rent a bicycle, so I could combine exploring with exercise would that be wise or would I end up in a an Aruban hospital? I might rent a car for a few days because I plan to golf a couple of times and go to the other side of the island, but might cab it there.

2. I was under the impression Aruba would be fairly inexpensive, but I'm reading about $30 one-way cab rides, $40 cases of beer and $112 rounds of golf. Scuba seemed reasonable. I'm OK with dropping some cash for some things, scuba and golf rarely are cheap, and good food shouldn't, just don't want to be spending frivolously.

3. I hope to avoid ending up surrounded by a bunch of 20-somethings getting ripped, but I also live in South Florida where the vibe isn't like I expect it to be in Aruba. I'd prefer to find a couple, few local haunts with low-key people who like to drink, rap, even listen to some music. I have cut and pasted a lot of the information to a file, but seem to have a pretty long list of nightlife options. What's a cool, clean place or two with some character ... and characters.

4. I enjoying golfing and have a new set of clubs. I have heard from a friend or two who've been to Aruba that a lot of people are discouraged because it's so windy, it's not even worth playing. I've played in winds and live in a fairly windy area. What do people generally think about the golf?

5. What's the general attire down there, don't plan to pack too much, a couple, few pair of shorts and casual button downs, a pair of light khakis, a golf shirt and T-shirt or two ... don't need to dress up much I hope.

6. Bottom line, where does someone who isn't into all-inclusive resorts, the nightclub circuit night after night, tour buses and clip joints in general get a taste of the local flavor and meet people who know how to chill, don't check their I-phone every 5 minutes and have the capacity to discuss a wide range of topics.

Again, thanks for any input or ideas you can offer ...

Ed
    Last edited by ebtsingo50; 05-04-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Wow!!!
    DH golfs at 3pm at the Divi as it is at a discounted price. When he wants to treat himself he will go to Tierra del Sol. Again, if you go at 3pm it is much cheaper. He is not an avid golfer but doesn't find the wind that interfering.

Depending on where you are staying, walking to many places is an option. Buses are good too. Bus there and cab back. Cabs are expensive if you are going far, most taxi rides are around 10-15 dollars. Renting a car for a day or two (NOT AVIS) is a nice option.

Moomba and Buster's have a wide variety of ages as does the Kukula bus (I am spelling/naming that wrong) that takes you to a number of bars in the evening. Good way to meet people too.

Clothing is so casual. No jackets anywhere and many men don't even bring pants. Golf shirts and shorts/jeans can take you anywhere.

We can probably answer more information if you tell us where you are staying.

Have fun!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

You guys are fast ...

Thanks, Randi,

Appreciate the information, don't mean to come off too heavy-handed, just wanting to avoid some of the pitfalls of being in a new place without too much of a clue.

I could go down there with a couple of books and some sunscreen and end up getting just about all I really need ... some time away from everything.

Take care,

ET

Last thing ...

Staying at low-rise hotels ... Casa del Mar.

I'll check back in Tuesday.

Thanks.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    YIKES....Here's my responses to a few of your questions...

Quote Originally Posted by ebtsingo50 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I've been cherry-picking information from the message board for the past 7-10 days, looking to figure out the do's and don'ts for my first visit to Aruba. I'm excited to get there for some much-needed R&R and am feeling a bit mentally on vacation right now.

I was given a week in a timeshare and didn't have much time to plan, so I'll be embarking on my first vacation solo in more than 20 years when I went to Wyoming not knowing a soul. Am looking forward to being on my own schedule and turning this into a memorable adventure in a place people dream about going.

To make it the best 8 days possible, I have a few questions that I haven't been able to pick up from the site (excellent information, by the way, and much obliged):

Thanks beforehand for your time and input, any info would be nice.

1. If I were to rent a bicycle, so I could combine exploring with exercise would that be wise or would I end up in a an Aruban hospital? I WOULDN'T..I might rent a car for a few days because I plan to golf a couple of times and go to the other side of the island, but might cab it there. Rent for a few days, hit baby beach, the california light house, alta vista chapel

2. I was under the impression Aruba would be failry inexpensive, but I'm reading about $30 one-way cab rides, $40 cases of beer, $110 massages and $112 rounds of golf. Scuba seemed reasonable, two-tank dive for $84, though it sounds like you rent regulators, etc. I'm OK with dropping some cash for some things, scuba and golf rarely are cheap, just don't want to be spending cash constantly when I'm not otherwise laying out on the beach or doing a little readingm Good food is not cheap on the island, that said, there are the usual places like TGIF, KFC, mcdonalds for cheap eats.

3. I hope to avoid ending up surrounded by a bunch of 20-somethings getting ripped, rarely does anything good come from that, but I also live in South Florida where the vibe isn't like I expect it to be in Aruba. In fact, I'd prefer to avoid the club scene, but would love to find a couple, few local haunts with low-key people who like to drink, rap, even listen to some music. I have cut and pasted a lot of the information to a file, but seem to have a pretty long list of nightlife options. What's a cool, clean place or two with some character ... and characters. Mr Jazz, Plaza Cafe might be right up your alley

Is it true things really don't get going at night until 11-ish? Also, I read about nightlife, what about daylife, if I want to get a drink or ice-cold beer in the middle of the day with some interesting folks? Sit at bars like Moomba, Hooters, Busters garage, Plaza cafe, blue bar, Marriott

4. I enjoying golfing as much as anything in life and just got a new set of clubs. I have heard from a friend or two who've been to Aruba that a lot of people are discouraged because it's so windy, it's not even worth playing. I've played in winds and live in a fairly windy area, but if it's blowing 25-30 mph, with gusts, might not be worth dropping 100 bones on golf. What do people generally think about the golf? ???

5. What's the general attire down there, don't plan to pack too much, a couple, few pair of shorts and casual button downs, a pair of light khakis, a golf shirt and T-shirt or two ... don't need to dress up much I hope. Casual, clean, shorts, nice t's, you got the idea...

6. Bottom line, where does someone who isn't into all-inclusive resorts, the nightclub circuit night after night, tour buses and clip joints in general get a taste of the local flavor and meet people who know how to chill, don't check their I-phone every 5 minutes and have the capacity to discuss a wide range of topics. Try a boat ride for a sunset cruise or a snorkel cruise, Jooly Pirates or Palm Pleasure for 2-3 hour sails.

You will love the island, its people and all it has to offer!
    Again, thanks for any input or ideas you can offer ... My pleasure, cindyo

Ed

for inexpensive dinner Casa Tua and Chino Latino's both places you can sit at the bar. Buster's garage also. Smokey Joes for Ribs. All of these are at Palm Beach. You can go for dinner and walk around. Saprano's is a piano bar, Amici's has a singer outside where you can sit and have coffee. All very reasonable prices.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents