Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: First Trip to Aruba

No Place Like Aruba

I was just in Aruba this May and took the four hour catamaran snorkel tour with Red Sail Sports Aruba. It was AMAZING! We got to snorkel above two different ship wrecks as well as the coral reef. On board the catamaran they served breakfast, lunch, and had an open bar. It was such a great trip and definitely a reasonable price. If you Google Red Sail Sports Aruba their website will be first to come up, they also offer other trips/activities/tours. Definitely well worth it!

Aruba since 1979
    Welcome to the aruba.com community forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    I was just in Aruba this May and took the four hour catamaran snorkel tour with Red Sail Sports Aruba. It was AMAZING! We got to snorkel above two different ship wrecks as well as the coral reef. On board the catamaran they served breakfast, lunch, and had an open bar. It was such a great trip and definitely a reasonable price. If you Google Red Sail Sports Aruba their website will be first to come up, they also offer other trips/activities/tours. Definitely well worth it!

Nicky, first off I want to thank you for your service!

Welcome to the forum, my husband and I are also headed to Aruba for our first time in 6 days!

I will have to let you know about all the things we are doing when we get back but we have a ton planned, snorkling on Jolly Pirates (if I like it, it's going to be my first, we plan to also go out wtih Aruba Bob a second time), ATV Tour, Horseback riding, and a 1/2 day deepsea fishing. We are renting a car.

I hope you guys have a great trip!

First time snorkelling tip

Quote Originally Posted by pbumbaca View Post
    Nicky, first off I want to thank you for your service!

Welcome to the forum, my husband and I are also headed to Aruba for our first time in 6 days!

I will have to let you know about all the things we are doing when we get back but we have a ton planned, snorkling on Jolly Pirates (if I like it, it's going to be my first, we plan to also go out wtih Aruba Bob a second time), ATV Tour, Horseback riding, and a 1/2 day deepsea fishing. We are renting a car.

I hope you guys have a great trip!
    Just popping in to say welcome to the forum Nicky. When I saw this post from pbumbaca, it reminded me of my first snorkeling experience. We love Jolly Pirates, but I will say the first snorkeling stop at the shipwreck can be a little intimidating for a first timer. That was my very first stop ever snorkelling and the water was just a little choppy and my mask leaked a little so it wasn't the best experience. Just wanted to give a heads up not to let a little choppiness on your first time get you down - the next two stops are a lot better.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Smile

You really need to snorkel in the shallow and get use to the breathing in the tube when you are seeing water. The Antillas is in 65 foot of water and if you have never snorkeled, it can make you never want to snorkel again. I would practice somewhere before you go out. Just a thought.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

There is a small beach at Boca Catalina which is easily accessible from the Occidental. The water there is generally shallow a bit of the way out and calm most days as well. Good spot for a beginner to stick their face in the water and get used to breathing through the tube.

You can read up on Boca Catalina here

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    We love Jolly Pirates, but I will say the first snorkeling stop at the shipwreck can be a little intimidating for a first timer. That was my very first stop ever snorkelling and the water was just a little choppy and my mask leaked a little so it wasn't the best experience. Just wanted to give a heads up not to let a little choppiness on your first time get you down - the next two stops are a lot better.
    Why on earth would they take you out to the deepest spot first, especially if they know they will have inexperienced people on the boat? That is nuts? I knew there was a deep portion of the trip and was planning on skipping that part and staying on the boat but I had no idea it was the first stop!

Quote Originally Posted by pbumbaca View Post
    Why on earth would they take you out to the deepest spot first, especially if they know they will have inexperienced people on the boat? That is nuts?
    If anyone feels uncomfortable snorkeling in deep waters, they can just relax on the boat or even hop in the water just off the boat to cool off and then climb back on board.

BUT, for others, you want the Antilla to be the first stop of the day if you plan on snorkeling. The winds in Aruba pick up as the day goes on. The winds drive the waves.

With the wreck of the Antilla being over a third of a mile off the coast it is even windier and the waves in the afternoon can swell 4' and upwards. Below are the waves sailing TO the Antilla in the morning.

It is usually much less windy when the Jolly Pirates makes this their first stop on their lunch snorkel. The winds then on average are probably about 16 or 17 mph compared to afternoons this time of year of upwards to 23 mph with 38 mph gusts.

Imo there is not a lot to see snorkeling the Antilla, if you want to see it close up you need to dive it and go down to the bottom, 60' or so to see all that it has to offer.

Having said all this, the two other reef stops are very enjoyable and the water much calmer due to being right off the coast. As you can see here, the water was perfectly calm.

Well that makes much more sense and also makes me happy because waves on a boat and me are NOT FRIENDS Lisa! Thanks so much for the explanation!

I have always found a great cure for sea sickness is to jump in the water and swim around a bit to equalize everything.
    There are any number of scuba divers who dive from boats, as opposed to shore dives, and get sea sick. The ride to and from the dive spot is tough, but they are almost always fine once soon after getting into the water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast