Aruba Beach

Thread: First trip questions

First trip questions

Hi! We are looking forward to our first trip to Aruba on May 10 for a week. We are staying at the Marriott Surf Club. I have been researching our trip by reading information in these forums. I find I get the best information from people who have been to a specific place and are willing to share their experiences. One of the things that I read here has me a bit concerned. I know there is a constant wind on Aruba, but I didn't know that you would be sandblasted on the beach. Also someone said the bugs, especially gnats and mosquitos, are so bad and come in swarms. I had never thought about the bugs before. My husband plans to play golf, so he wasn't happy to hear this either. Can anyone give me more information about this?
    Thanks.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwbniteowl View Post
    Hi! We are looking forward to our first trip to Aruba on May 10 for a week. We are staying at the Marriott Surf Club. I have been researching our trip by reading information in these forums. I find I get the best information from people who have been to a specific place and are willing to share their experiences. One of the things that I read here has me a bit concerned. I know there is a constant wind on Aruba, but I didn't know that you would be sandblasted on the beach. Also someone said the bugs, especially gnats and mosquitos, are so bad and come in swarms. I had never thought about the bugs before. My husband plans to play golf, so he wasn't happy to hear this either. Can anyone give me more information about this?
    Thanks.
    We will be there from May 5 to May 17. It will be our 15th trip. We stayed at the surf club a few years ago. I play golf at Tierra Del Sol.
    I will try to answer your questions. There is almost always a good breeze blowing. Most of the time it is around 15 mph at the beach. It gusts a lot too. We have only had enough wind to do the sandblasting on a couple of occasions. We stay off the beach when this occurs(rarely). The only time I have ever seen gnats is on the golf course. That was on our trip last year. The wind normaly blows fairly steady at 20-25 mph on the Tierra Del Sole course with gusts even stronger. Last year I played a round on one of those rare days when there was no wind at all. That was when the gnats came out. There were Billions of them all over the course. They were in huge swarms and got in your face, shirt, mouth etc. It was not pleasant. It also was very hot. Seldom see mosquitos because they cant fly in the wind. They come out when the wind dies down just like the gnats. You need the wind to blow there or you will get too hot and the bugs will come out. Too much wind just stay off the beach. No wind is even worse. Tell your husband not to play golf if the wind isnt blowing. The course is great and I think he will enjoy it. The wind is strong and you have to play it but it always comes from the same direction. It doesnt swirl. The course is built for it too. The grain on the greens runs away from the wind.
    You will love the surf club. Lazy river and pool bar. they have an air hose by the pool area to blow up rafts and tubes so take a couple with you. Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions.

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum

getting sandblasted on the beach is infrequent...i would say not to worry

gants/no seeums and mosquitos are a nuisance at dawn and dusk.....only sometimes. bring OFF . the flying bugs seem to be worse in periods of lots of rain which is infrequent, late nights usually.

i do not think they will be an issue playing golf.

the times we have been bothered mostly is outsside dining at 6:30 - 8 pm
    and then infrequently

Quote Originally Posted by Nwbniteowl View Post
    Thanks.

Smile

Thanks for the info! I'm sure I'll have more questions over the next few weeks before we go. We'll need to know about restaurants, places to go, things to see, whether to rent a car, etc., but I know a lot of those things have already been discussed, so I'll look around first.

Bonbini!

You can find OFF in the supermarkets here in aruba, so you don't have to pack it if you dont want to. Living here is more difficult during the hurricane season north of Aruba. The tradewinds die down and the mosquitos usually win! lol

Also, sunscreen is a must since we're so close to the equator. You will love the tradewinds! They make Aruba so delightfully pleasant even tho it does get quite hot... and don't worry about your hair while you're here... very little humidity to deal with.

The new SuperFood supermarket just south of the high rises is still being built, so I suggest Ling and Sons near the Eagle Beach area of the island since it is the most similar to US grocery stores. You'll find all of the brands you know and love, albeit at a higher price than you're accustomed to paying. Taxis will take u there in a snap, and they are always lined up outside of Ling and Sons waiting to take you back.