Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Visit to Aruba

First Visit to Aruba

Hello.

My husband and I will be traveling to Aruba the last week in June. We will be staying at the Divi Phoenix. Does anyone have info on the resort? I keep hearing complaints about construction. I would also appreciate any recommendations for restaurants, shopping, things to do etc.

Kicking back and relaxing for two weeks, on the beach.. Jewelry Shopping and the Alhambra...........
    Hi,

I have never stayed at the High rise area, usually a little busier.. Shopping, anywhere downtown, jewelry ? Kay's jewelry downtown.. You should ask about a decent jeweler at your hotel.. Definately shop around, and dont always give what they first ask for.. I went in and looked at a rind one day, at a different jeweler, they wanted $950, two days later I could of got it for $ 450. It's easy enough to get on the local bus, near your hotel and pay a roundtrip ticket for around $3.00 for Two, and the bus will bring you back. It runs like every 15 minutes. There are alot of great Restaurants, El goucho's spelled that wrong. Drift wood is really nice. Ive heard that madam jannettes is really nice too. When I go I dont really do that much, but since its your first time, rent a jeep, and go touring, just make sure nobody steels it, as you've probably read in the message board someone had their vehicle stolen and their credit card is not covering it, due to being out of USA. Parking is hard to find downtown, and on some of the other roads can be slippery, usually after its rains, due to the sand being on the roads. Lots of fun things to do.. When you get to your hotel, they will have someone that can book all your adventures for you.. Just have fun!!

Becky

Aruba since 1979
    hi ajacks

take some time and read as much on the forum as you can
    the general section is good
    then get to specifics getting around on aruba, culinary/cuisine, activities etc

make sure that you follow lisa's links too

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by ajacks View Post
    Hello.

My husband and I will be traveling to Aruba the last week in June. We will be staying at the Divi Phoenix. Does anyone have info on the resort? I keep hearing complaints about construction. I would also appreciate any recommendations for restaurants, shopping, things to do etc.

Baby beach, natural bridge, palm beach, California Lighthouse
    We just traveled to Aruba for the last week of February and actually bought a timeshare at the Pheonix. There is still construction going on but they seem to be moving quickly and I bet alot will be completed by June. The beach was very nice and did not appear overcrowded. We stayed at the Holiday Inn and people were on top of each other. The pheonix is the last of the high rises and it is within walking distance of nice restaurants and the outdoor mall. They have a waterworks show every night a the outdoor mall which is quite enjoyable. If you are looking for a nice tour of the island there are a couple of gentlemen that advertise right across the street from th Holiday Inn, one I believe is a native of the island and the other is from Cape Cod. They will take you on an all day jeep or motorcycle tour for the day. They do an awesome job of giving a more intimate look at the island. I hope you have a great. We just got back and I cannot wait to go again

Some additional info on jewelry
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/jewelry.html

Quote Originally Posted by beckybnott View Post
    Hi,

I have never stayed at the High rise area, usually a little busier.. Shopping, anywhere downtown, jewelry ? Kay's jewelry downtown.. You should ask about a decent jeweler at your hotel.. Definately shop around, and dont always give what they first ask for.. I went in and looked at a rind one day, at a different jeweler, they wanted $950, two days later I could of got it for $ 450. It's easy enough to get on the local bus, near your hotel and pay a roundtrip ticket for around $3.00 for Two, and the bus will bring you back. It runs like every 15 minutes. There are alot of great Restaurants, El goucho's spelled that wrong. Drift wood is really nice. Ive heard that madam jannettes is really nice too. When I go I dont really do that much, but since its your first time, rent a jeep, and go touring, just make sure nobody steels it, as you've probably read in the message board someone had their vehicle stolen and their credit card is not covering it, due to being out of USA. Parking is hard to find downtown, and on some of the other roads can be slippery, usually after its rains, due to the sand being on the roads. Lots of fun things to do.. When you get to your hotel, they will have someone that can book all your adventures for you.. Just have fun!!

Becky
    Thanks for all the information. Aruba sounds like a blast!

Aruba since 1979
    you will have a blast
    you will become an aruba addict just like many of us !

andrea

We are also staying at the Phoenix in August. One of my good friends from Aruba is getting married there. I haven't ever stayed at the Phoenix, let alone been there. I've stayed everywhere else we are just staying there because everyone else is! I'm sure the construction will be completed by the time we are there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast