Aruba Beach

Thread: Greetings from Washington, DC!

Greetings from Washington, DC!

My girlfriend and I are coming to Aruba for our first visit on February 19-23. We'll be staying at the Westin. This site and Trip Advisor have been AMAZING tools in crafting this last-minute trip.

We just started planning 2 days ago because we needed a BREAK from the cold/snow/ice/rain...aargh! :-) We wanted to go to the Caribbean, and chose Aruba to maximize the probability of mid/upper 80-degree days...and the increased likelihood of creating jealousy among our coworkers with our tanned return to DC. lol

We are single 40-year-old women who are looking to really relax, but we'd like to have a wee bit of entertainment thrown in for good measure...at least one day/night. We look and party like we're 30. Are there any must see places for a good time?

Thanks!

Banned
    Welcome to the forum. It's good to see another DC area member. I fly out of Dulles every week 27. This year will be trip # 7. We are in Southern Md. Where are you?

That's great! It seems like once folks go to Aruba they just keep on going back. I'm looking forward to this first trip more and more! :-)

I live in DC. We're flying out of National since it's just 10 minutes from my home...if I return to Aruba, I'll definitely plan ahead so that I have more flight options and better prices.

Banned
    For us now, going back the same week every year, it is like a reunion because we see the friends we met the previous years at our timeshare. We meet new faces too from all over the world. One year I was there alone and I met this couple that lived 3 miles away from me and they were next door neighbors to one of my co-workers.
    The food is awesome there so hopefully you did not get all-inclusive. There is plenty to do up by the high rises. I would avoid downtown at night or go there with a group of people. Most of the action is up by the hotels anyway.
    Catch a sunset at the Bugaloe. It's a bar at the end of the pier at the RIU. Move your chair to the end of the pier so no one comes in at the last minute and stands in between you and the view.

The world is such a small place! :-) That sounds like a great yearly experience. We did not get all-inclusive...I'm never a fan of it because I'm kind of a picky eater and I know it usually limits your options. Glad we made the right choice!

Thanks so much for the tips! I had Bugaloe on my list of places, but that extra info re: the chair is just what I needed to know! I'm getting so excited!! lol

xobxdoc,

I do have one question about smoking. I don't smoke cigarettes...can't stand the smell, but I do sometimes smoke cigars. Is that something I'll find others doing outside/inside? Just wanted to know whether to bring my favorite ones with me. :-)

Thx!

Banned
    Can't help you with that one. But there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site that will be happy to help. Where are you staying?

Many places no longer allow smoking even cigarettes indoors, but I have seen people smoking cigars outdoors.

http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/cigar.html

Quote Originally Posted by MsLee View Post
    xobxdoc,

I do have one question about smoking. I don't smoke cigarettes...can't stand the smell, but I do sometimes smoke cigars. Is that something I'll find others doing outside/inside? Just wanted to know whether to bring my favorite ones with me. :-)

Thx!
    Cuban cigars are legal and readily available on the island. Most cost in the high teens to low $20 range. The cigar shop next to Salt n' Pepper (across from the Occidental) has a moderate selection. I would not recommend the cigar shop in the Palm Beach Mall; the cigars I've gotten from there were seconds IMHO. I suggest the cigar shop near The Mill (the large Dutch Windmill) http://www.aruhibacigars.com/. And I would also suggest you try the cigars he rolls. Quite good IMHO.

My favorite place for an evening cigar is now closed (Amici's) but the best replacement I have found so far is Cafe Rembrandt in the Palm Beach Mall. A outside table, a good cup of coffee and a good cigar. The perfect end to any evening,
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

xobxdoc, Thx! We're staying at the Westin Resort. Every time I step inside from the cold wind I go to their site, check the current Aruba temperature and the live webcam, and remind myself that I'll be there really soon. lol

Arubalisa, That's great to hear about the cigarettes, and thanks for the link to the cigar postings. I'll make sure I do a proper search of the forum before I ask a question next time. :-)

jdoll, Thanks so much for the great information! I'll add those places to my list.