Aruba Beach

Thread: Hello all | first trip to Aruba

Hello all | first trip to Aruba

Good day all!

I believe I am preparing to book to our first trip to Aruba. I am choosing to stay at the Marriott I believe: the pictures are very pretty!

I have read many reviews that finding chairs on the beach is almost near impossible unless one gets up at 6am, to which I am not going to do that.

So that brings me to my first question:
    1. I know that there have been previous posts on here, from several years ago, but I am wondering if there are any updated notes: are there any convenient stores, like walgreens/cvs near the Marriott hotel area where I can just buy beach gear?

2. We are going for about 5 nights in June. I live in Miami, Fl so I know what the tropics are like around then: but can anyone tell me if this is the busy season/avoid Aruba at this time?

3. Is Aruba gay friendly?

4. I do not mind paying for this, but want to know if I even need to: do I need to rent a car?

The island looks amazing,and I am getting very excited in going there.

Thanks all!

Aruba since 1979

my answers in BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by JONLE181 View Post
    Good day all!

I believe I am preparing to book to our first trip to Aruba. I am choosing to stay at the Marriott I believe: the pictures are very pretty!

I have read many reviews that finding chairs on the beach is almost near impossible unless one gets up at 6am, to which I am not going to do that.

So that brings me to my first question:
    1. I know that there have been previous posts on here, from several years ago, but I am wondering if there are any updated notes: are there any convenient stores, like walgreens/cvs near the Marriott hotel area where I can just buy beach gear? there are no walgreens, but there are plenty of little convenience stores in the marriott/hi rise area. marriott has its own store. there are also some beach things at Certified, Lings and SUperFood

2. We are going for about 5 nights in June. I live in Miami, Fl so I know what the tropics are like around then: but can anyone tell me if this is the busy season/avoid Aruba at this time? Busy but not horriby crowded. You will find the weather as hot as Miami, but more comfortable as there will be a nice breeze.

3. Is Aruba gay friendly?Aruba is known for being friendly to all

4. I do not mind paying for this, but want to know if I even need to: do I need to rent a car no, the bus service and the taxi service is perfect, but if you want to go off exploring, then rent a car for the day (or 2)

The island looks amazing,and I am getting very excited in going there.

Thanks all!

Hi first of all welcome!! I'll try to answer some of your questions

1. I don't know at the moment because there is a lot build since I have lived there.

2. In June it's inbetween seasons, it is just before summer holidays in Holland, I think it's s good time to go.
    I'm there myself this June.

3. Aruba is definitely gay friendly. I am gay myself and feel very safe and there are some gaybar on the island as well.

4. I would recommend a car if you would like to explore the island. You can also take a tour but I like exploring myself better. If you choose to stay at the beach or in high-rise area and just a visit to downtown oranjestad I would take the bus.

Hope you will have a great time at aruba!!

Hi! You have some great answers above. I just wanted to say have a great trip!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

1. I know that there have been previous posts on here, from several years ago, but I am wondering if there are any updated notes: are there any convenient stores, like walgreens/cvs near the Marriott hotel area where I can just buy beach gear?

Do you mean towels, sun screen, bathing suits, etc.? Those can all be found right in the resorts but they're on the expensive side so I'd say bring whatever you can. If you're talking about umbrellas, floats and beach chairs, those can be rented - check with your concierge. If you need to buy coolers/beach toys/furniture, you'll probably want to get a car and head to (the closest place) Superfood Plaza (upstairs).

2. We are going for about 5 nights in June. I live in Miami, Fl so I know what the tropics are like around then: but can anyone tell me if this is the busy season/avoid Aruba at this time?

Things are slower, less crowded, and restaurant reservations are easier to get. September is the scorching hot month for Aruba because the winds die down (historically). It'll be hot in June but with good winds.

3. Is Aruba gay friendly?

Yes. There's a gay bar called "Jimmy's Place". The island is very safe for gay travelers.

4. I do not mind paying for this, but want to know if I even need to: do I need to rent a car?

It depends: you can have a great time if you stay in the resort area: lots of restaurants, beaches and crowds. If you want to see the island at your own pace, I'd recommend getting a car. Also, if you're going to buy stuff (as mentioned above), a car will make it easier. If you want to get away from the crowds on the beach, Baby Beach at the south end of the island, is a lot less crowded on weekdays (you can also rent lounges down there for $8 USD for the day).