Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hello! Extended stay questions

Hello! Extended stay questions

Hello my name is Peter. My wife and I (both 71 years young and from the UK) are looking to come to Aruba sometime in the near future. Perhaps from January to March 2015. Yes I know it is a long way off, but we are in Punta Cana from January to March 2014. We always look 1 year ahead...like we returned from Thailand in March 2013 and within a month had booked for Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic for 2014 (3 weeks time).

We plan to spend 2 months here and stay in a condo or private rented accommodation. The budget is yet to be decided, but we wish to limit ourselves to around $2000 to $2200 maximum per month inclusive of all taxes. It appears from my initial investigations that this price range is doable. We wish to be close to a good beach with all the usual facilities such as cheap places to eat out and supermarkets to purchase all the usual food stuff for self catering. We will be looking for accommodation that is away from the noise where we can relax around a pool or if we feel inclined or we can go to a public beach. So perhaps 800 to 1000 metres from the beach at the most. We are very active and walk up to 6 miles a day in the UK when the weather allows.

I will be posting on other parts of the forum, but I have seen a statement about visitors who stay for more than 30 days need to have some kind of guarantor and can then stay up to 180 days. From what I have read you have to apply to extend past 30 days once you are in Aruba, or have I misunderstood this? How does this work?

If you were refused for whatever reason, it would be a financial embarrassment having paid for and have the airline ticket for the 60th day return trip, the private medical insurance (60 days) and the accommodation money already paid to the condo/apartment vendor for the entire 60 days.

The following link refers..... http://www.visitaruba.com/traveling-...nts-and-visas/

Kind regards

Peter

Aruba since 1979
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

please visit the main aruba.com site. Click travel to aruba. Then click entry requirements. I cannot post the link as I am using my iPad and won't be bac to my puter til Monday dec 30

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

please visit the main aruba.com site. Click travel to aruba. Then click entry requirements. I cannot post the link as I am using my iPad and won't be bac to my puter til Monday dec 30
    Andrea J

Thank you for replying so promptly. You have directed me back to where I read the entry requirements and that leads me to ask the original question again. If you know what I mean?

http://www.aruba.com/travel-to-aruba/entry-requirements

This leads to...

http://www.aruba.com/sigma/Entry_Req-Eng.pdf

and I quote for myself and my wife because we are from the UK..

Extension of stay upon entry
    Upon entry in Aruba, the following persons can apply for an extension of their stay for more than 30 days but
    not exceeding 180 days:

- nationals from the countries mentioned in list A and visa required persons who are exempt from the
    visa requirement, can request an extension of their stay for up to 180 consecutive days, if:

- The migration officer, can grand an extension for up to 90 days if he is satisfied that the visitor has sufficient funds to cover his extended stay.
    All tourists who apply for an extension of their stay beyond 30 days are required to have travel insurance (medical and liability) valid for the duration of the extended stay.

My question: How can the migration officer be satisfied that I would have sufficient funds to cover the extra stay of 30 days? Naturally I would not have all my financial documents with me! Perhaps I am being a bit pedantic here, but I would not want to fall foul of a system by acting out of ignorance. What happens if we arrive and have already got a booking for 60 days and have the paid for airline return ticket dated for 60 days later and will be paying by credit card at the apartment/condo for the complete stay?

Surely this question has been asked before by first time visitors to Aruba such as retired people who are going to stay for 2 or 3 months or perhaps longer.

Naturally we could show medical insurance details that because we always cover ourselves for any eventuality.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

I posted a reply back to this thread almost immediately, but it never appeared. Any reason for this?

Perhaps it had to go through a moderator at the time? Perhaps not. My first thought was that all replies were being censored or looked at for new people just in case they were problem people. I hope I have got this all wrong and I can continue to ask questions on the forum.

I look forward to a reply.

Thank you.
    Last edited by broadmarsh; 01-06-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    i cannot answer your question of today or the 28th of dec

??

i sent you a private message on the 28th asking you to get in touch with DIMAS and to use the search bar/feature so that you could get an answer to your question. i also mentioned that your own medical insurance would not be accepted in aruba and that in the event of a medical situation, you would be required to pay out of pocket and then possibly/probably be reimbursed.

i had sent you this link and maybe this thread was related to your question

Dimas Any one have an Answer?
    and
    http://www.dimasaruba.aw/index.php/e-mail dimas' website

good luck
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 01-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.

UK private medical insurance is never accepted anywhere as being able to have treatment free at the point of requirement. That is why it is PRIVATE. If there is a problem the client rings/contacts the insurance company in the UK and it gets sorted out by credit card or directly with the medical authorities and payment is made back to the holder when he or she returns home. We had the problem last year in Thailand. My wife had a bad bite and we ended up contacting the insurance company in the UK and they said go ahead and pay by credit card and claim back later. This we did and have always done. We were in Thailand for 61 days and had insurance cover (we paid) for that period.

Hello Andrea asked me to give my input as myself and husband from the UK 31 years old. Spend 3 months a year in Aruba and we had the same problems as in we couldn't find out the info we needed. We got married in Aruba 2 years ago and made made good friends we either the hotel manager. He checked it immigration for us and basically from the UK at new allowed 90 days but upon upon arrival you will only be granted 30 days you then go to dimas and apply for the 90 days that UK residents are allowed, however there is a loop hole when you arrive at immigration you may well get someone who will just stamp you're card for 90 days and away you go. We hit lucky we took proof of return tickets, a bank statement, travel insurance and proof of where we were staying all we were asked to show was the proof of address in Aruba. We have been going there six years but last year was our first long stay. Worse case scenario and you get refused a visa then jump on flight to curacao or bonaire and then then return to Aruba the following as you'd need to do this every 30 days. Just be aware that the period for a UK resident is a maximum of 90 days a year. Although next year I'll be returning after 9 months so fingers crossed they allow us in. Hope this this helps also bear in mind you'll be Aruba at peak season we go August until November which is off peak and very quiet prices are also lower. PM me if I can helpfrgerfp

Aruba since 1979
    thank you mrslancaster for your help and repy to the OP

much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsLancaster2B View Post
    Hello Andrea asked me to give my input as myself and husband from the UK 31 years old. Spend 3 months a year in Aruba and we had the same problems as in we couldn't find out the info we needed. We got married in Aruba 2 years ago and made made good friends we either the hotel manager. He checked it immigration for us and basically from the UK at new allowed 90 days but upon upon arrival you will only be granted 30 days you then go to dimas and apply for the 90 days that UK residents are allowed, however there is a loop hole when you arrive at immigration you may well get someone who will just stamp you're card for 90 days and away you go. We hit lucky we took proof of return tickets, a bank statement, travel insurance and proof of where we were staying all we were asked to show was the proof of address in Aruba. We have been going there six years but last year was our first long stay. Worse case scenario and you get refused a visa then jump on flight to curacao or bonaire and then then return to Aruba the following as you'd need to do this every 30 days. Just be aware that the period for a UK resident is a maximum of 90 days a year. Although next year I'll be returning after 9 months so fingers crossed they allow us in. Hope this this helps also bear in mind you'll be Aruba at peak season we go August until November which is off peak and very quiet prices are also lower. PM me if I can helpfrgerfp

Don't know what he random letters at the end were lol my phones playing up

Personally Broadmarsh I'd have evidence for everything and be as helpful as you need to be. The Arubans are extremely helpful and forthcoming. I messed up my immigration form I put was staying 89 days and panicked I'd get Into trouble I stopped a police officer in the airport and he just told me to change it and it wouldn't matter, I was worried and he popped me back to immigration and had it changed for me. I wouldn't be worried about taking bank statement to I didn't asked for mine but why not blank out sort code and account number to be safe? Could you get a letter from your private medical insurance to confirm they would cover you, I'm sure you pay enough a year so this wouldn't be an unrealistic request!
    Last edited by MrsLancaster2B; 01-06-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast