Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I'm back

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter

I'm back

We just booked our 3rd trip to Aruba for March 2016. We were there in 2008 and 2010 so it's been a while (too long!). I thought I would come back to the great people that helped us plan our previous visits and find out what's been going on since we were there last. I recognize so many of the names from before and so many more newbies (to me). That's awesome!!
    2008 was our honeymoon trip (6 months post wedding) and 2010 was what I had hoped would be our bi-annual trip but we were putting so much money into building our home (which still isn't done) that we just couldn't swing it.
    I'm so excited to have this trip booked - there's no turning back now!

So what have I missed?

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    A few things come to mind..... But first tell us where you are staying?

heres a few non-hotel related.....
    Airport now accepts passports that have chips for arrival called Happy Flow
    Airport now had Global Entry capabilities for departure
    Baby Beach has a whole new look
    They're building 4 lane highways and have started in San Nicolas

Some new Restaurants worth trying; Quinta del Carmen, West Deck

dont know if Super Foods was built in 2010

theres a trolley at cruise dock that filters passengers thru downtown to stores

Natural Pool, Druif Beach, Eagle Beach, California Lighthouse, Helicopter
    We'll be staying with my in-laws at Divi Dutch Village.
    Where is Super Foods?

Aruba since 1979
    welcome back!

SuperFoods is located where the Adventure Golf, Go Carts and Alfredos used to be. (Across from the Tropicana, formerly known as the Aruban timeshare resort)
    It is a large Supermarket and strip mall. There is also a nice fish store "Daily Fish" there.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    We'll be staying with my in-laws at Divi Dutch Village.
    Where is Super Foods?

Aruba since 1979
    One of the things you missed is the RITZ Carlton just a bit north of the Marriott Hotel.
    It has been opened almost 2 years.

Also too, you may see some changes to the roads. Many roundabouts ahve been added, eliminating red/green lights in those locations.
    You will notice on the way from downtown to the Divi Dutch, that the Duty free (abandoned buildings) are being torn down for revitilization of the area into a cruise port.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmiles View Post
    We just booked our 3rd trip to Aruba for March 2016. We were there in 2008 and 2010 so it's been a while (too long!). I thought I would come back to the great people that helped us plan our previous visits and find out what's been going on since we were there last. I recognize so many of the names from before and so many more newbies (to me). That's awesome!!
    2008 was our honeymoon trip (6 months post wedding) and 2010 was what I had hoped would be our bi-annual trip but we were putting so much money into building our home (which still isn't done) that we just couldn't swing it.
    I'm so excited to have this trip booked - there's no turning back now!

So what have I missed?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Excited for you that you will be back!
    My last visit to Aruba was in 2010 as well. It's been too long...

From participating in this forum, I noticed a whole bunch of changes as well.

There is a nice little food booth in Palm Beach area called "Scott's Brats".
    There are also several "Food Trucks" (Curt mentioned them)
    There are fabulous "Smoothie booths" at Palm Beach and Eagle beach (if I understood that right)
    There are many new restaurants...

I believe there is a "Carnival Event" on a regular basis in San Nicolas.

Oh, and there are now "Parking Meters" in the center of Oranjestad (not so good)

CK1
    The California Lighthouse will undergo renovation, inside and outside, and when it reopens in spring 2016 (don't know exact date), the public will be able to go inside the lighthouse for the first time in a long time.

Ostrich farm: sad news as the restaurant there got destroyed by a fire. Not sure, if and when it will reopen. This was always one of my favorite spots to go.

Natural Bridge: the little store there is closed. Not sure if it will reopen. I always enjoyed going there as well.
    There are plans to build a fiberglass bridge across the broken-down bridge. Not sure when this will happen.

The Fishermen's Huts are gone. Another of my favorite spots. The Ritz Hotel got built there which effects the whole area there, former parking spots are gone and the big street (L.B. Smith Blvd) makes now a big curve on the way to the California Lighthouse. (I know it only from google earth and maps).

The Radisson Hotel got sold and is now a Hilton.

After 33 years, Queen Beatrix stepped down and handed the throne over to her eldest son Prince Willem-Alexander on 30 April 2013 (Queen's Day).

There is no "The Morning News Aruba" anymore or any other English speaking newspager or online news.

A new luxury hotel Bahia is planned to be build at Baby Beach and it's planned to open in 2016.

Welcome back!!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Morning News is gone, but Aruba Today is still around.
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    The California Lighthouse will undergo renovation, inside and outside, and when it reopens in spring 2016 (don't know exact date), the public will be able to go inside the lighthouse for the first time in a long time.

Ostrich farm: sad news as the restaurant there got destroyed by a fire. Not sure, if and when it will reopen. This was always one of my favorite spots to go.

Natural Bridge: the little store there is closed. Not sure if it will reopen. I always enjoyed going there as well.
    There are plans to build a fiberglass bridge across the broken-down bridge. Not sure when this will happen.

The Fishermen's Huts are gone. Another of my favorite spots. The Ritz Hotel got built there which effects the whole area there, former parking spots are gone and the big street (L.B. Smith Blvd) makes now a big curve on the way to the California Lighthouse. (I know it only from google earth and maps).

The Radisson Hotel got sold and is now a Hilton.

After 33 years, Queen Beatrix stepped down and handed the throne over to her eldest son Prince Willem-Alexander on 30 April 2013 (Queen's Day).

There is no "The Morning News Aruba" anymore or any other English speaking newspager or online news.

A new luxury hotel Bahia is planned to be build at Baby Beach and it's planned to open in 2016.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Morning News is gone, but Aruba Today is still around.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast