Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New to Forum need Information about chickens

New to Forum need Information about chickens

I am new to this forum, and need some information about Aruba. Is this a country that has Feral chickens? My wife and I have visited several countries in the Caribbean and Hawaii, where Feral chickens are everywhere. It makes it impossible to enjoy the parks and beaches that are covered in chicken droppings. We have even spotted them in open air restaurants, and in small local shops and stores. The owners of these establishments say they can't do anything about them.

Aruba since 1979
    I would imagine that there are a few ferals.
    Never in 30+ trips have I ever noticed chicken droppings in open air restaurants or really anywhere.
    The chickens seem to stay In their own yards
    Welcome to the forumQUOTE=Stony;253758]I am new to this forum, and need some information about Aruba. Is this a country that has Feral chickens? My wife and I have visited several countries in the Caribbean and Hawaii, where Feral chickens are everywhere. It makes it impossible to enjoy the parks and beaches that are covered in chicken droppings. We have even spotted them in open air restaurants, and in small local shops and stores. The owners of these establishments say they can't do anything about them.[/QUOTE]

Fifteen trips to Aruba. I have never seen a chicken of any kind on a public area (parks, restaurants, shops, etc.).

I don't recall ever seeing a chicken either. We've had anout 8 trips. Welcome to the forum by the way!

Trust me when I say......Key West has more chickens than all the Caribbean islands combined!

Aruba since 1979
    There are many people that associate all Caribbean countries as being "third world".
    Aruba is very unlike what some could imagine.
    I have visited a number of Caribbean countries and Aruba is in a whole different spectrum.
    Do families in the conucu have chickens? Yes, many do.
    Do the city dwellers? Few.

Aruba is clean and beautiful.

Disclosure...3 or 4 years ago we were bothered by a rooster that crowed daily at 3 am.
    We were staying in the Noord aRea and I saw him daily standing on the roost 's roof taunting me.

There was a restaurant/bar we loved....Nos Conucu. It was an open air restaurant and there were many barnyard animals roaming about the property. Often we had peacocks at our table looking for handouts. The place, now closed was a gem...a wonderful establishment. Very unique and much fun.

I just had my third trip to Aruba back in early January of this year, and in all my trips I have never seen any feral chickens or such. Depending on where you are staying the old wild animals that you will run into.....apart from some visitors who are over doing it a bit...will be Iguanas. On my first visit to CPV there were a lot of them there, to be quite honest they were not a both at all. Other than that, as Andrea said, Aruba is a neat and well kept country. I keep on wishing that the Ministry of Tourism for my country would take a page from Aruba's book on doing tourism right. Anyhow, enjoy your visit, make the most of it!!
    Val

Aruba since 1979
    Val your country is awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    I just had my third trip to Aruba back in early January of this year, and in all my trips I have never seen any feral chickens or such. Depending on where you are staying the old wild animals that you will run into.....apart from some visitors who are over doing it a bit...will be Iguanas. On my first visit to CPV there were a lot of them there, to be quite honest they were not a both at all. Other than that, as Andrea said, Aruba is a neat and well kept country. I keep on wishing that the Ministry of Tourism for my country would take a page from Aruba's book on doing tourism right. Anyhow, enjoy your visit, make the most of it!!
    Val

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    When we took our first 5 or 6 trips to Aruba you would see goats everywhere. That was back in the 90s and early 2000. They foraged along the roadsides and ate the weeds and underbrush. They kept all the areas looking manicured and park-like. Since then they have been fenced out of the tourist areas for safety reasons. Too many getting hit by cars. Its a little sad not to see them any more. I still see them on the golf course though. They are still allowed there. Never seen a feral chicken but many feral cats over the years. There were many more iguanas around in previous years as well. I think the resorts have been either killing them off or moving them out for some reason. I think the iguanas and goats were part of the charm of Aruba and they are losing that charm more and more by over building resorts and changing what people like to see. Soon it will be just like going to Florida. Then I will be going to Florida or another island. There will be no difference, so no reason to go there.

I've only seen chickens while driving around on our way to the Natural Bridge or just cruising the residential streets - never in any public park type areas or beach areas. I miss seeing the goats & Iguana too!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast