Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New here and concerned about lgbt safey on Island

New here and concerned about lgbt safey on Island

Hi all, I'm Anne. I have never been to Aruba and am dying to go, actually getting ready to book for sometime in 2015. My question is, altough I have read that Aruba is very friendly, would it be safe for my wife (lesbian couple) and I to stay in an "off the grid" style apartment or cottage? Out of the High Rise and Low Rise area? Thoughts? I really want super secluded and laid back for our first trip. Thoughts?

The island is VERY relaxed... there's even a gay bar. No issues.

You might have a challenge finding something super secluded as most of the rental properties tend to be in the north of the island or around Oranjestad proper. The thing I've noticed about a lot of the residential areas that we've rented villas in (all in Noord - the north part of the island) is that privacy has never been a concern... most of the homes have high walls and there doesn't seem to be a lot of permanent residents in the area (i.e. a lot of vacation homes).

Anyway, you'll need a car if you find something secluded... most services tend to be around the city and tourist areas. Good luck!

I was thinking about getting a rental. The whole island is soo beautiful but I love the ability to be in the middle of the fun, and then all alone at a moment's notice. I'm from a very busy city where diversity isn't plentiful, so I worry if we are in a secluded area that we won'e be safe. Thank you so much

Aruba since 1979
    welcome to the aruba.com community forum.
    i think that an apartment or cottage like or villa kind of place would be perfectly safe.

a few spots come to mind:

Paradera Park APartments ; Bananas Apartments; Surfside Apartments; Club Arias and i am drawing a BLANK thinking of the place at the roundabout across from the Ritz (a lovely property!)

Quote Originally Posted by readyforaruba View Post
    Hi all, I'm Anne. I have never been to Aruba and am dying to go, actually getting ready to book for sometime in 2015. My question is, altough I have read that Aruba is very friendly, would it be safe for my wife (lesbian couple) and I to stay in an "off the grid" style apartment or cottage? Out of the High Rise and Low Rise area? Thoughts? I really want super secluded and laid back for our first trip. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum. I agree Aruba is pretty laid back and while I know you are looking for a private rental, you would be happy at any of the resorts.

Thank u Andrea and Pegmeister. I LOVE the resorts, and was looking at DiviAI but, i can't eat out every day crohns, i really need to be able to prepare the majority of my meals...i would love nothing more than to eat out 3 meals a day for 14 days, my system won't tolerate that and my wife is lactose free so we really have special diet needs that a kitchen would be best suited. That and silence is so appealing lol

Andrea - are you thinking of that Malibu place...?

We've covered pretty much all of the island and only met friendly people. The locals can be a little reserved at first but warm up really quickly. You might want to look in Saveneta if you looking for a 'real' local experience (it's on the south end of the island). The whole island has a "live and let live" vibe. There's also a lot of European (i.e. Dutch) influence so discrimination is looked down upon. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    We've covered pretty much all of the island and only met friendly people. The locals can be a little reserved at first but warm up really quickly. You might want to look in Saveneta if you looking for a 'real' local experience (it's on the south end of the island). The whole island has a "live and let live" vibe. There's also a lot of European (i.e. Dutch) influence so discrimination is looked down upon. It's all good.
    <3 thank you so much, safety is the only thing holding me back from booking but am already feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    and i am drawing a BLANK thinking of the place at the roundabout across from the Ritz (a lovely property!)
    Boardwalk???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast