Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WHOA! Aruba Here I Come! (By Backpacking)

WHOA! Aruba Here I Come! (By Backpacking)

Well since a few of you know that i'm an former Marine, I'll add that i've also been planning a big trip to the Island. I'm seeking adventure, and im just going to recharge my battery so to speak. I have a bucket load of questions I would love to have answered.

#1. Are their alternative ways to get to Aruba? The time it takes to get there is of no relation to when I want to arrive. I'd gladly lend a hand on a boat leaving from the USA for a free ride. Also cruise ships have huge discounts for ships doing repositioning, has anyone ever done this? Sadly Skybus went out of business, so flying seems like my only way there (and at full price )

#2. I'm not going to be sleeping in hotels. I've hooked up with couchsurfing and few other websites that ive decided to volunteer my time to while im there in exchange for permission to put up my hammock. I have a ENO Pro, its the most amazing sleep system ever! If theres anyone on the forum who would let me sleep on their couch or in my hammock in your backyard, PLEASE let me know! Nothing long term, 2-3 nights max. I'll volunteer my time to help anyone too (paint a house, put up a fence, walk your dog, do dishes, dig a hole, I dont care I can do it all)! Kitten rescue maybe? I'm bringing my Djembe drum so if anyone likes live music I can serenade you .

#3. Are there any places you are aloud to camp on the island? Or possibly a hostel or something similar where you only pay a few bucks for the night. Can you sleep on the beach? (If I can tie a rope around it, I can set up my hammock for camp lol.)

#4. I hear the weathers been a little off for this time of year. What temperature does it get in the day and at night? I want to bring the right gear and sleep setup.

#5. I'm a vegan, are there places I can buy local foods? I'll be walking the whole island so I'll be in different areas every few days.

#6. I'd like to rent a pedal bike for a few days, does anyone know how much it costs? I love to ride my road bike, I just wish Aruba was a little bigger, otherwise I would bring mine.

#7. AM I GOING TO GET MUGGED? Will someone run off with my gear if I don't lock it up somewhere? Answer honestly, theres gotta be somewhere on the island not to go.

#8. Where TO GO, what are some of your favorite spots?

#9. Are there local ways to get to the other two islands? IE not flying.

#10. General advice please!

I'll think of more, and ill keep updating this post OFTEN.

Thanks! I hope to see some of you in Aruba real soon!

Ariel

Aruba since 1979
    i thought once a marine, always a marine?

1. unknown contact some shipping companies to see? even ups or fedex.
    2. more of i have no idea, you may want to put a shout out in the accomodations section of WILL WORK FOR A ROOF AND A SHOWER
    3. No. Permits are required for residents and only those are offered at certain times of the year.
    4. day 90+ with humidity and breeze night 78/79 with humidity and breeze
    sometimes scattered showers
    5. plenty of grocery stores very similar to usa grocery stores
    7. absolutely ;-) seriously, that is an unknown!
    8. read the forum section and the aruba.com section things to do nightlife activities
    9. NO unless you can hook a ride on a yacht that is docked and heading to another island or a fishing boat. air travel is the only other way.

10. read the forum chatter and aruba.com

Lightbulb Just a couple of thoughts

Volunteer
    http://www.aruba.com/specialvacation...eyouvisit.aspx
    http://www.arubandonkey.org/

If you find someone who will allow you to hang your hammock, and it is out in an open area, you may also want a waterproof tarp to protect your belongings (and you ) from over night showers.

http://www.arubanationalpark.org/ind...id=7&Itemid=11
    Arikok National Park states they permit camping by permit

Thank you both for the input.

I wanted to share my sleeping system with everyone. It's really awesome, ive tried a few hammocks, and nothing comes close to the craftsmanship of ENO brand.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...m-pronest.html

That is what I have, and its all I need!

Aruba since 1979
    looks cool.
    my son and dil are into camping big time..........and i think they each got a similar set up ems.

I live in New England, we have everything up here, EMS, LL Bean, REI, Northern Face.

And the snow is whats driving me nuts! 5 feet on the ground! NO THANKS.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 02-03-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: merged posts

Aruba since 1979
    ariel....what is the outdoor store that begins with the letter C?
    there is one in portland maine.
    my son and dil buy lots of their outdoor stuff there.

Cabela's?

Aruba since 1979
    that's it.

Yea theres about 10 different outdoors stores in New England, not to mention the hundreds of trading posts and smaller specialty shops. I'm partial to EMS and LL Bean, they field test their gear for a long time before they sell it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast