Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another newbie...

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedsAruba View Post
    Hello,

My b/f and I will be visiting Aruba on May 10. We are also from the Philly area and today is 91 degrees...INSANE for April on the East Coast.
    My question is this:
    We want to take carry on baggage but the sunscreen is a problem. Is ANYONE familiar with the sunscreens that one can purchase in Aruba. Are they effective as I am VERY light skinned and need good protection?

Thanks

NeedsAruba BADLY!!
    Anything you buy at home you can buy there...however, its about 30-40% more there. Drug stores ,grocery stores and gift shops carry all of it. Aruba specializes in Aruba ALoe sunscreen/asst items.

Thanks Cindyo

I'm not too concerned about the cost, I'm more concerned about whether we can get HIGH SPF and effective sunscreen there and I know that the Aloe is supposed to be really good, but I wanted to hear from someone that it works. It sounds like by your response that Aruba has what we have here in the USA. Hope they don't have swine flu!!!! I'm an infectious disease nurse and this ain't cool.
    Just as a matter of interest, are there drug stores like CVS, Rite Aid or are they Aruban type drug stores?

Just as a matter of interest, are there drug stores like CVS, Rite Aid or are they Aruban type drug stores?
    No US chain drugstores.

Aruba since 1979
    the aruban drug stores are called BOTICAS and each neighborhood of aruba has at least one.

the sunscreen that i recommend is aruba aloe and it is sold EVERYWHERE, but the best prices are at the LINGS grocery store.

welcome to the forum

Thanks Ladies

I personally don't care about check in baggage, but my guy does, so I'll just buy the stuff there, we're only going to be there on Sun-Thursday so only need 5 days worth. I prefer the USA products as they're sprays and easy for hairy chests (not mine...his LOL). Thanks for the tip about Lings, I read that somewhere else.

NEXT QUESTION for those traveling from USA. Would you recommend renting a cellophone from Aruba versus taking my Verizon. I do need to keep in touch with my son and daughter and wondered if the rental cell phones are reliable?

Thanks and this is a great forum

Aruba since 1979
    i recommend http://arubafastphones.com/

or if you want to bring your own also too make sure that your verizon phone is set to be used from aruba and that you understand the pricing and roaming fees

andrea

I personally don't care about check in baggage, but my guy does, so I'll just buy the stuff there, we're only going to be there on Sun-Thursday so only need 5 days worth. I prefer the USA products as they're sprays and easy for hairy chests (not mine...his LOL). Thanks for the tip about Lings, I read that somewhere else.

NEXT QUESTION for those traveling from USA. Would you recommend renting a cellophone from Aruba versus taking my Verizon. I do need to keep in touch with my son and daughter and wondered if the rental cell phones are reliable?

Thanks and this is a great forum

Phones

Andrea,
    Thanks so much I think I read that in Fodors. Are you suggesting it's just easier and cheaper to use Aruba phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Very convenient in that you can pick up right at the airport.
    Andrea,
    Thanks so much I think I read that in Fodors. Are you suggesting it's just easier and cheaper to use Aruba phones?
    Will depend on how many calls you will be making. Go to Verizon and Fast Phones websites and compare price per minute.

Fastphones

Thanks
    Fastphones definitely cheaper.

I'll order one soon.

Thanks again and have a good night.

Transportation Question

Oops sorry,

One last question for the night. We are staying at Playa Linda. What's the best option for transport to the resort and from Playa Linda, what's the best way to get to a decent grocery store (I assume Ling's) as we have a timeshare resort and want to stock it up with fresh fruit etc.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast