Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/7-5/17 Trip Report and Photos...

Is the Curacao trip worth taking for the day? We come down to Aruba (TS at the Surf Club) every year but never have gone over to Curacao. I'm curious to hear what you did there for the day.

glad you had a great trip. I can't wait to read al about it, especially your day trip. That may be something we may want to do since we will be there for two weeks. How did you make the plans? I have ordered my koozies and can't wait for them to arrive.
    Next Aruba trip in

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    ~Amy~ thanks for the address...co

You went to Cuba's Cooking!!! I LOVE THAT PLACE....gosh, I can almost smell the chicken and olive dish (whatever it's called), OH and the mojito's!!!!.

Amy, as always its nice to hear your trip went well, and love to see the pictures. We all want to know about Curacao, if its worth for the day, and what can you do for the day?

I'll post details about the Curacao trip in my trip report (which I'm still working on.) But a brief summary:

We left AUA at 7:15am and arrived CUR at 7:45am. We had intended on renting a car for the day but our friends from Holland were on the island so we had built in tour guides for the day since they've been on the island before. The terrain was alot different than Aruba - more hills and more real trees like you'd see in the U.S. No long sandy beaches but alot of different coves with beach bars, lounge chairs, etc. where you could spend the day. Water was clear as a bell and almost all of the coves were great for snorkeling right from the beach area. One area we drove by had a small lake and alot of pink flamingos. It was fun just driving around and spending time at the various coves. The island is about 3 times as large as Aruba. We spent a few hours downtown as well. Downtown was much more vibrant, alot more people, shops, etc. and more European than Aruba. Plus they've kept and restored most of their old buildings so it's very attractive looking. We also spent some time at the Sea Aquarium, too, which was fun.

We took the 8pm flight back and we were back in Aruba at 8:30pm. The flight was easy - you're in the smaller terminal, less people, small plane, walk out onto the tarmac into the plane - quick and easy on both flights. There is a departure tax of around $32/person though going both ways that you pay at the airports. Flight on Tiara Air was about $115 RT/person.

We left our rental car in the AUA parking lot for the day and paid about $17 or so for the parking fee for the day.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Thanks so much for the info and I look forward to your full report. I think this is a great idea for a day trip and I didn't realize how different it was than Aruba.

I'll post my thoughts if we make it over there in July.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffnev View Post
    Thanks so much for the info and I look forward to your full report. I think this is a great idea for a day trip and I didn't realize how different it was than Aruba.

I'll post my thoughts if we make it over there in July.
    There are parts of the island that look like Aruba and then parts that don't. I was surprised to see trees in one area and a small lake here or there. The history of the island was also very interesting:

http://www.curacao-travelguide.com/history/index.html

~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Amy how far in advance do you need to book a flight to curacao..did you do it online or call them

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by sunworshipperII View Post
    Amy how far in advance do you need to book a flight to curacao..did you do it online or call them
    I did it online through the airline's website. If I would have booked a couple of weeks out I would have had my choice of flight times and airlines (Tiara Air or DAE) all at the same price. But we waited until Wed. to book our flights for Friday of the same week. DAE's fares had gone up but we were still able to book the cheaper fare through Tiara - except we had to take a 7:15am flight instead of the 8am flight we had wanted. Not a big deal but the sooner you book the sooner you'll get the flight times you want at a lower price. These planes are small and don't have alot of seats.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast