Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014

Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014

The view from here...

I'm pretty sure we've died and gone to heaven:

- 30 mins from check-in thru security to the gate. In 47 years, that has NEVER happened with Air Canada and Pearson airport
    - uneventful flight with great flight attendants... And that unforgettable warmth when the door opened. I almost wept.
    - complimentary cooler with our two bottle purchase of Patron at duty free at the Beatrix exit!
    - beautiful villa - the view is from the pool... Which is warm like a bath!
    - dinner at Barefoot tonight

Are we dead?!? ARE WE?!?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014-image.jpg   Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014-image.jpg  
    Last edited by act1966; 11-14-2014 at 08:41 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    not dead

what is your address?
    i might go pool hopping tonight.

enjoy your time here..........glorious!
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    The view from here...

Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014-image.jpg

I'm pretty sure we've died and gone to heaven:

- 30 mins from check-in thru security to the gate. In 47 years, that has NEVER happened with Air Canada and Pearson airport
    - uneventful flight with great flight attendants... And that unforgettable warmth when the door opened. I almost wept.
    - complimentary cooler with our two bottle purchase of Patron at duty free at the Beatrix exit!
    - beautiful villa - the view is from the pool... Which is warm like a bath!
    - dinner at Barefoot tonight

Are we dead?!? ARE WE?!?

We're up in Rooi Santo... Addresses seem to be relative in Noord... "Drive until you see us" is a common refrain. We're using it with taxi drivers now.

Day 2 November 10, 2014

A few things I forgot to mention about Day 1:

Lings is open until 6 pm on Sunday night now... this is GREAT because so many flights get in on Sunday and trying to make it to the grocery store by 2 pm was impossible. Not sure why Super Food hasn't made the extension yet but I imagine they will to stay competitive. The cashier said to me, "That's A LOT of limes!" To which I replied, "They make A LOT of margaritas!" She laughed.

We discovered the dishwasher in the villa doesn't work. Melt down. The spouse: "Hand wash?!? What's that??!" LOL It's like "Downton Abbey: Aruba Island"!!

We noticed a thermometer hanging from the ladder in the deep-end of the pool: 84 degrees (in Celsius that equals... I don't know... a hot summer day). Seriously, I've never been in a pool that warm unless it had a heater installed. Incredible.

I drove by the RBC at Palm Beach and there's been significant work done on the condo project there and it almost looks like they're putting sewage pipe in the front. Hmmm. Wonder if there's a major public works push on to finally get a working sewer system...? I know the one downtown wasn't executed all that well. We'll see.

Anyway... Day 2!

A quiet day by the pool. It takes me a few days to unwind from work stress so we tend to do low key things for a couple of days. Nothing a day or two by the pool can't solve. The weather is beautiful. I slept in until 8:00 am but then woke up, opened the door from the master bedroom and proceeded to immediately jump into the the pool. I've decided this is the only way to wake up in the morning and will be demanding that Toronto change to year-round summer.

We let all our friends know that we arrived - which is really unnecessary because it seems like, the minute you land in Aruba, the network starts working and people know you're here. It really is small (in a good way).

Hit Super Foods for dinner supplies as we decided to barbecue for dinner. They have these incredible, tasty, pre-prepared marinaded meats that are easy to hurl on the barbecue and we just grab boxed salad and some dressing and we're set. The cashier was wheezing, coughing and sneezing through the checkout process. Luckily, the spouse is a bit of a germ-a-phobe so we dove into a vat of Purell in the car.

We went to Bright Bakery to pick up some desserts and lunch items... I'll write about that in the Culinary section. Here's a sneak peek though:

Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014-cpuff2.jpg

Caught up with our friends, Ellen and Brad, who live here year round. They had a baby just after we were here in February so we set up time to meet her (we met them at their office). We discovered Aruba is kid-friendly (like Europe) and nobody bats an eyelash if you sidle up to the bar with a baby in tow. Ellen laughingly agreed to let me buy her daughter her first martini... "Can I get that in a sippy cup?"

We didn't make it to the Amsterdam Manor night for the BB reunion because we were busy planning "Baby's First Cocktail". Next week... although... sounds like we missed a SMELL of a good time! "Excuse me... last night's grouper isn't sitting well..."

Fantastic dinner at home with some great wine we found at Lings (Yay! New Zealand sauvignon blanc!), the bread and desserts from Bright and a midnight swim before bed. (Okay, 10:00 pm... but it was midnight somewhere in the world).

Hmmm. As I'm typing this (5:00 am), it sounds like there's quite a downpour going on outside.

Great report, I especially love the ones that keep me smiling. Sorry we missed you at tbe BB party. Enjoy and good luck demanding the weather change.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Great report, I especially love the ones that keep me smiling. Sorry we missed you at tbe BB party. Enjoy and good luck demanding the weather change.
    Thanks, Tracey. I'm enjoying your postings as well. I'm sure your stay at the Amsterdam Manor will be great. I've been watching the articles about the smell and it seems like it's temporary (i.e. it isn't permanently there).

I'm positive the Toronto municipal government will take my demand for year-round summer with their typical attention to detail and delivery.

I mentioned in my update about an hour ago that it was raining. Yeah, okay...

Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014-rain.jpg

Aruba since 1979
    awesome reports!!
    thanks so much for sharing

we missed you last night, but in hindsight you made a wise move

Love the Aruba rain. It's there early in the morning to clean the sky for a beautiful day! Let me know how you make out with your demands of Toronto!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Day 3 November 11, 2014

Another beautiful day with some errands, food, food, food and a couple 'o cocktails.

We've been blessed with great line up karma since we left Toronto: no big line ups at grocery stores, customs, security, luggage etc. and it continued on the island (I love "low" season):

Went to the bank to update some information and there were only two people in line! As much as I love Aruba, I don't like having to go to the bank at the best of times but, if I'm going to have to show up in person, I definitely like it when the bank is empty. Hopefully, the Aruban banks will catch up on technology banking though.

Hit a botica as The Spouse was getting dry skin from the pool chlorine so moisturizer was the order of the day. We're used to giant, warehouse-sized pharmacies in Toronto so it's always hilarious having to navigate around the boticas here that are the size of a walk-in closet. The locals sail gracefully through and the Canadians are identified as the bulls in the moisturizer section.

Back to the villa for a quick dip then we decided to try Tierra Del Sol's, "Ventanas Del Mar" for lunch. More about that in Culinary...

Back to the villa - the property manager had Quality Appliances in to fix the dishwasher and, low and behold, it was now working! Yay! Our arduous days of hand-washing dishes would now be over! We were saved! Many hallelujahs all around! We're pretty sure there's a movie in the works to document the dark days of our Aruban hand-washing struggle... watch for it!

Our friends visited with the new baby (the aforementioned one that I'm going to be buying cocktails for later in the week) and we learned what "baby proofing" a house means. Wow! Not even walking and she's already a wrecking machine! REALLY cute... and she LOVES the camera... especially sticking her tongue out at it.

Some more pool and sun and then we decided to wing it and just head out to dinner without a reservation (again, LOVE low season) and landed at the infamous forum favourite, "Barney's". More in culinary.

Headed home... leisure is exhausting... for an early night. Rinse and repeat tomorrow...
    Last edited by act1966; 11-12-2014 at 10:47 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast