Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Love your reports TY!!

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Great report!

Aruba Aloe is supposed to be a great moisturizer. I bought some a couple of years ago in the supermarket and brought some with me as a gift for a friend.

Day 4 November 12, 2014

Quiet day of R&R.

Quick trip to Lings for staples (i.e. limes for margaritas and dinner for later in the day).

We noticed something as we were driving toward Lings - at the Super Food intersection, there must have been about ten people crossing LG Smith from the Super Foods to the hotel... but they weren't using the crosswalk/lights - they were just crossing in the middle of the highway! It's 80 km/h there! That might explain some of the accidents... stay safe! Walk the twenty feet to the crosswalk!!!

Headed back home and spent the day in the pool under the blue sky... weirdly, it's like the clouds would go around the house... after much scientific examination, we've concluded that Aruba is magic.

Act1966 Day 1 November 9 2014-img_0275.jpg

Day 5 November 13, 2014

We had a pretty busy day.

The Spouse had developed a case of heat rash so we went to Urgent Care for the first time. VERY good experience. We met with a Dr. Louis and, within twenty minutes, had a diagnosis and prescriptions for a topical ointment and Benadryl. The visit was $100 USD and the prescriptions were $36.01 USD. Everything resolved within forty-five minutes! That does NOT happen in Canada.

Headed over to Lings for an SPF 10,000 sunscreen ("Try to avoid the sun..." Ummm, okay.) and then we went to a few surf shops to see if we could find one of those UV surf shirts with a high/turtleneck collar. All to no avail so we just used a hand towel around the neck and we were back in business.

Popped into EQ3 to look at furniture (good selection - it's actually a store from Toronto) and chatted with the staff who have visited Toronto with the company and would love to live there. "Go in February before you make THAT decision..." LOL

Lunch by the pool.

And, curses, the dishwasher was dead again. It needs to be replaced. Thankfully, not our issue.

Some shaded pool-time, a couple of "medicinal" margaritas for the heat rash and then time to head out to dinner at "White Modern Cuisine" which we've been looking forward to for months. More about that in Culinary.

All-in-all a pretty good day considering.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Check out Lands End for rash guard, though by the time you get home it will be a non issue. Investment for later maybe?
    yah right, no sun?!
    keep them coming🌞

Quote Originally Posted by cindyo View Post
    Check out Lands End for rash guard, though by the time you get home it will be a non issue. Investment for later maybe?
    yah right, no sun?!
    keep them coming
    Thanks, Cindy. Good idea even if it's for next time. The rash has already started to clear thanks to the ointment.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Day 5 November 13, 2014

Headed over to Lings for an SPF 10,000 sunscreen ("Try to avoid the sun..." Ummm, okay.) and then we went to a few surf shops to see if we could find one of those UV surf shirts with a high/turtleneck collar. All to no avail so we just used a hand towel around the neck and we were back in business.
    Just a thought about "uber-high SPF" products. Once you get over 30 they can be harsh on the skin and cause rashes; I learned this the hard way. SPF is merely a denominator in a sun protection formula and works as follows:

8 hours or sun equals 480 minutes. With SPF 50 it becomes the equivalent of 480/50=10 minutes of sun time.

With SPF 30, 480 minutes becomes 480/30=16 minutes of sun time. Only 6 minutes more!

Considering the harsh nature of 50 vs 30 and the minor difference in "equivalent sun time" over an entire day (just 6 minutes in the example above), I set my upper limit at SPF 30 and no longer get a rash.

if it is a rash....be sure to wash off all sun tan lotion every evening, that will hope.

if it is sun poisoning, I'm not certain how much good any product (other than shade) will do. But, stick with the Benadryl.

Best of luck.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

My daughter too suffered the case of too high an spf rash. Dropping down to SPF 30 solved the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by rob o View Post
    Just a thought about "uber-high SPF" products. Once you get over 30 they can be harsh on the skin and cause rashes; I learned this the hard way. SPF is merely a denominator in a sun protection formula and works as follows:

8 hours or sun equals 480 minutes. With SPF 50 it becomes the equivalent of 480/50=10 minutes of sun time.

With SPF 30, 480 minutes becomes 480/30=16 minutes of sun time. Only 6 minutes more!

Considering the harsh nature of 50 vs 30 and the minor difference in "equivalent sun time" over an entire day (just 6 minutes in the example above), I set my upper limit at SPF 30 and no longer get a rash.

if it is a rash....be sure to wash off all sun tan lotion every evening, that will hope.

if it is sun poisoning, I'm not certain how much good any product (other than shade) will do. But, stick with the Benadryl.

Best of luck.
    Thanks, Rob. Yeah... we considered it but this is SPF we've been using since coming down so we ruled it out. We tried the "100" with no adverse reaction. Pretty sure it was because we jumped in the pool the first day at 4:00 thinking we were safe without SPF that late in the day and completely forgetting that Canadian skin is like milk that curdles in the heat when first exposed!

But good to know we weren't insane thinking it might have been SPF.

Days 6&7 November 14-15, 2014

Day 6 was really chill... pool, pool, pool, pool and flaked out. Finally feeling distanced from work. We went to Super Foods to pick up dinner at home... they have a wonderful fresh-prepared section at the meat counter. We tried beef wellington and a stuffed chicken breast with baked potato and corn. All turned out great on the barbecue.

Spectacular sunset (I posted a pic in a separate entry). Truly paradise.

Day 7 was pretty busy: I woke up with a really sore shoulder so another day, another botica... we're seeing them all! We hit a different one each time. We were surprised that the pharmacist can actually prescribe (we found out by accident) and she gave me an anti-inflammatory. Seems to be working.

We then headed downtown to walk around the Renaissance and main drag. We also wanted to visit Bula's Surf Shop upstairs at the Royal Plaza Mall - the owners are a great pair of guys who have been invaluable sources of knowledge as we work our way to building a house here. Picked up two t-shirts and headed out for lunch. We hit "Cuba's Cookin'"... nothing to really write home about but I did have this bizarre salad called a "Cuban Caesar" which was really just a caesar salad unmixed... and the romaine lettuce was served as the whole head of lettuce. I and The Spouse still think somebody in the kitchen decided they were too tired to rip apart the leaves. Bizarre.

Back to the pool and libationsl in the afternoon and then we headed out for dinner at "Elements" at Bucuti and Tara. More on that in Culinary.

We're at the halfway point. Ugh.
    Last edited by act1966; 06-08-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast