Aruba Beach
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Act1966 - February/March 2016

Day 14/15

I was so depressed I couldn't bring myself to write the wrap up.

Kidding... (we were buried in last minute contractor work) but, don't get me wrong: we weren't thrilled to be leaving.

A good chunk of Saturday was spent with contractors and then we squeezed in some final pool time (aka excuse to cocktail) to get one last blast of sunshine. Nice couple of hours spent with our neighbour, floating in the pool and enjoying the new, reigning champ: Pina Colada.

We then headed out for a final dinner at Quinta Del Carmen. It was "okay". There are now enough restaurants on the island that blow our hair back so we've started to get a little more discriminating on what warrants a rave review. As this was our second visit to QDC (we went when it first opened - and it was a rave), the thing we most noticed is they've expanded exponentially and I think this has affected the quality of food and service. Not to say it was terrible or anything but it felt like a "bulk" restaurant: lots of people and regimentation from the kitchen (i.e. get those plates out on the table as quickly as possible). They need to hire a sommelier as well - their wine list is sorely lacking. But the setting is still beautiful and they've made some significant decor enhancements that add to the ambiance. It's become one of those places where you can take a group of ten and have a good time if you're not obsessive about food and drink. And their pricing isn't as high as some of the blow-your-hair-back places so all-in-all it was a nice, if not memorable, night out.

Headed home and crashed to get ready for the scramble on Sunday to get the house closed and our flight home.

On Sunday, the airport was a breeze: very few people at security and we just wandered over to the Happy Flow check-in and whipped though. A fully gourmet lunch at Quizno's and then we were off.

Happy to be home to see the pooch and we've also managed to drag some good weather home with us - it's 8C in Toronto today and getting warmer as the week progresses.

Observations this trip:

- driving is getting treacherous on the island. I dropped our friends off at the airport at 5:30 in the morning and the number of people going over 130 km/h on LG Smith was alarming. I think that thermometer at the police station is going to see a few more notches on it in 2016. I won't drive at night anymore - there's just too many insane drivers jumping lanes, speeding on residential streets, people and dogs walking out into the middle of the road, ... and given the state of street lighting around the island, I'm just going to leave it to a taxi driver to navigate the insanity.
    - there is no rhyme or reason on when the grocery stores are packed or empty so we've given up trying to time shopping and just hope for the best
    - pina coladas make everything better
    - "fancy" doesn't necessarily equal "good" - "Local Store" and "Metin Food Truck" prove it - simple but fantastic

Let the countdown begin.
    Last edited by act1966; 03-07-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Wow, that flew by. Always nice to read your reports to gain a few insights and laughs. We can't wait to see your show after our upcoming trip. Thanks again...
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Aruba since 1979
    I am going to miss your daily reports.

thanks so much for your daily reports.

Thanks for sharing your trip ! I'm going to miss your daily updates .

Boy your vacation went by fast! I'll definitely be missing your reports!

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    Wow, that flew by. Always nice to read your reports to gain a few insights and laughs. We can't wait to see your show after our upcoming trip. Thanks again...
    Thanks, Schexc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I am going to miss your daily reports.

thanks so much for your daily reports.
    You're welcome, Andrea.

Quote Originally Posted by arubacandy View Post
    Thanks for sharing your trip ! I'm going to miss your daily updates .
    Thanks for reading, AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Boy your vacation went by fast! I'll definitely be missing your reports!
    Thanks, Peg. Yeah, it whipped by. I hope the time to the next trip does the same!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on your latest trip, it made me feel as though I was there. I know how you feel about leaving, to make my departure more pleasant I either pour myself into a new book or start planning for the next trip to the One Happy Island.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast