Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Act1966 - February/March 2016

Day 1

So here's the thing: having the weather slightly warm in Toronto makes for a quicker departure and flight to Aruba... we actually arrived twenty minutes earlier than scheduled.

We whipped through customs and luggage and the Hertz check-in was incredibly quick - it's nice that we're becoming a familiar face at places so we get into a quick routine.

We took the back route to the house and made it in the quickest time we've ever done it: fifteen minutes from Noord to almost Tierra Del Sol. THAT was incredible. Everybody's still sleeping off Carnival...?

Hit Ling's while The Spouse unpacked at the house. Again: quick and lots of stock. That's a first: usually Sundays are desolate in there for my beloved Arizona Iced Tea.

Back to the manse and right into the pool to celebrate Margarita Eve. The pool was 88F... note to self: build shallow pools with complete sun exposure.

Dinner at Tierra Del Sol - Beautiful night with a clear view to the lighthouse. They've added a new, seasonal menu. The Spouse ordered a pasta appetizer that created a black out situation: fresh, black truffles, morel mushrooms and bacon. I stuck with the tried, tested and true escargot. For mains, what else? Ribeye (with the surprising addition of bacon - what?!?) and seafood trio. We passed on dessert as we were afraid we wouldn't fit in the car door after all that.

Act1966 -  February/March 2016-truffle.jpg

Act1966 -  February/March 2016-ribeyebacon.jpg

Service was impeccable.

Home to an early bedtime (9:30) as we'd been up since 4:30 am.

Relieved to be back.

Another set of friends are coming down this time: they also pray at the altar of Margarita and they're the couple that brought "Heads Up" a few trips ago so this could get VERY interesting.

Aruba since 1979
    I am loving your story already!

Day 2

Dinner party prep so a trip to Ling's, Superfood and the restaurant supply store. The island has "upped the game" on wine - we were able to find some great reds at Ling's, in particular, a California merlot, "Clos Du Val" that was wonderful. Still on the hunt for more elusive wines that we're having in restaurants - they're out there somewhere!!

Back to the manse for hot dogs and beers and then an immediate submerge in the pool for a couple of hours.

Dinner with the neighbours on the lanai - the perfect evening.

Our friends arrive tomorrow - they came with us on our first trip to Aruba in 2008... it was insane: we were staying in Paradera at a new development called "Modanza" and the developer had given us "Aruba Instructions" on how to get the the park ("Watch for the Pizza Hut... if you go by it, you've missed the turn...") - we didn't dare use GPS because international roaming was insanely expensive back then . So, we came out of the airport (crazily excited by the heat in February), grabbed a car from Amigo and our friend, Mare, said she'd drive. Off we went. No idea where we were and just cocktail napkin directions to guide us. "Just scream things out and I'll do it," she commanded. We hit the first roundabout as you come out of the airport and she dove right in. Hair-raising. And then the zoom along LG Smith... the light was fading fast... how would we ever find the Pizza Hut?!?

If anyone has ever been to Modanza, you know it's a miracle that we found it in the dark. And, yes, we ate at Pizza Hut that night.

Mare's husband, Dave, was training to be a home inspector so he was great to have along as we ventured into the Aruba real estate market. Honestly? We almost bought the first house we saw but then Dave pointed out a few things that we never would have noticed - we were very lucky he was there or it would have been a nightmare. Who knew it was going to take seven years to find the "right" house??

But we knew Aruba was for us the minute we set foot on the tarmac.

And here we are!

Your reports are so much fun to read. I can feel the excitement!

I'm waiting to hear the stories about National Margarita Day. I'm sure there are plenty!

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Your reports are so much fun to read. I can feel the excitement!
    Thanks, Peg!

Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    I'm waiting to hear the stories about National Margarita Day. I'm sure there are plenty!
    Oh... there were plenty... LOL

Was moving a little "delicately" the next day. But no participants were harmed in the making of National Margarita Day... well-cushioned floaties protect the not-so-innocent.

Our neighbour suggested adding peach juice to the margs... on National Margarita Day... we went "Salem" on her.

Super lucky to have your friend Dave with you. Wish we had a good inspector when we bought our home - could have saved us a ton of cash.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I love the switch from fine wines to hot dogs and beer, enjoy the full spectrum!
    It's so important to have professionals involved in a hime search, glad your friend could help steer you in the right direction. This house was meant to be, especially with the great neighbors.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

While in Aruba we always seem to come up with new notes to self and I'll pass it along. Always rent a big
    car with big doors...problem solved.

Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Day 1

So here's the thing: having the weather slightly warm in Toronto makes for a quicker departure and flight to Aruba... we actually arrived twenty minutes earlier than scheduled.

We whipped through customs and luggage and the Hertz check-in was incredibly quick - it's nice that we're becoming a familiar face at places so we get into a quick routine.

We took the back route to the house and made it in the quickest time we've ever done it: fifteen minutes from Noord to almost Tierra Del Sol. THAT was incredible. Everybody's still sleeping off Carnival...?

Hit Ling's while The Spouse unpacked at the house. Again: quick and lots of stock. That's a first: usually Sundays are desolate in there for my beloved Arizona Iced Tea.

Back to the manse and right into the pool to celebrate Margarita Eve. The pool was 88F... note to self: build shallow pools with complete sun exposure.

Dinner at Tierra Del Sol - Beautiful night with a clear view to the lighthouse. They've added a new, seasonal menu. The Spouse ordered a pasta appetizer that created a black out situation: fresh, black truffles, morel mushrooms and bacon. I stuck with the tried, tested and true escargot. For mains, what else? Ribeye (with the surprising addition of bacon - what?!?) and seafood trio. We passed on dessert as we were afraid we wouldn't fit in the car door after all that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truffle.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	4789

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ribeyebacon.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	4790

Service was impeccable.

Home to an early bedtime (9:30) as we'd been up since 4:30 am.

Relieved to be back.

Another set of friends are coming down this time: they also pray at the altar of Margarita and they're the couple that brought "Heads Up" a few trips ago so this could get VERY interesting.
    Last edited by schexc; 02-24-2016 at 03:08 PM.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast