Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Act1966 - February/March 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    I love the switch from fine wines to hot dogs and beer, enjoy the full spectrum!
    It's so important to have professionals involved in a hime search, glad your friend could help steer you in the right direction. This house was meant to be, especially with the great neighbors.
    For sure. We didn't even consider hiring a home inspector when we started looking and, luckily, Dave was almost at the end of his course - and had just completed the electrical component. Yikes. ALWAYS have someone look at the wiring!!

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    While in Aruba we always seem to come up with new notes to self and I'll pass it along. Always rent a big
    carmwith big doors...problem solved.

Thanks for posting!
    LOL - grease up the door frames!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Yay Stephen I'm so excited for this next installment of Aruba! Happy Margarita day
    And a belated Happy Margarita Day to you too, Jacki. We've decided to celebrate the holiday again in your honour. In fact, we may just keep celebrating every day like it's Margarita Day!!

Day 3

Tearing around getting ready for our friends to arrive. Their flight is scheduled to get in at 3:20 pm <-- remember this as it'll be important later on.

Our one friend, Mare, had a birthday last week and we couldn't find a night to get together so we thought we'd celebrate down here. As they'd been traveling since the wee hours, we decided to have dinner at home for them so they could maximize pool time and relax. I picked up chicken wings, salad, corn, bread and a chocolate ganache birthday cake from SuperFood. Also went to Price Smart for a box of pool noodles because, really, you never want a pool noodle emergency.

Back to the manse for lunch and a little lounge before picking up our visitors.

So... I'm checking the flight status: all good... ETA is 3:23 so I figure I'll leave around 3:00 for the fifteen minute drive to Queen Beatrix... it's now 2:45.

An email appears from Mare, "What's your address?" WHAT?!? They've arrived early and are in customs frantically trying to give the agent our address (which they don't have as we're picking them up) "Is Noord an address?!?". Cue the Benny Hill music.

We always forget that Canadians actually LIKE sitting in the sun waiting for a pick up when it's freezing up in the Great White North.

Picked them up, back to the manse, The Spouse hands out margaritas as we come through the door, house tour, quick change, in the pool by 4:15. If this was an Olympic trial, we would have qualified.

A couple of rounds with our favourite pool-side cocktail and then dinner. She was completely shocked when I rolled out with the cake ablaze.

We then had some screaming-laughter rounds of "Heads Up" (get the Celebrity Impressions one - trust me), a few more cocktails and then off to bed to live another day.

Good times!

Lol...pool noodle emergency...hahahahha. I so love your reports. Glad your friends made it!
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post

the spouse hands out margaritas as we come through the door,

keeper!!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    thank you act1966........today i really needed the morning laugh.

Day 4

Three cruise ships in port = road rage on Main Street.

Yikes. I need to check that port schedule more often.

We took our friends to Price Smart for a tequila run. I'm still scratching my head over how they're able to undercut the other stores and duty free so dramatically. I'm DEFINITELY not complaining though!

We headed back to the manse via LG Smith. Big mistake. So I swerved into downtown to try and cut through on Main Street. Bigger mistake. My immediate response is to be the crass, city dweller and start flailing about but then I look at the cloudless sky and think, "Meh". So we looked around from the comfort of the car while we waited. Our friends were stunned how much the main drag has changed since our first visit in 2008. The trolley is definitely helping to gentrify the downtown.

Back at the ranch, some lunch and then serious pool time. I was looking at our battery-powered, bluetooth speaker, internet-connected phone and streaming Google Music set up and trying to remember if we ever had music by the pool growing up when we'd go to my grandparents in Fort Lauderdale... then I remembered my GIANT Lloyd's boom box and all the cassette tapes... "DON'T GET THEM WET YOU LUNATIC," I'd scream at my sister as AC/DC blared in the background. Good times.

Anyhoo, we headed out for dinner at Yemanja - another great meal and night out.

We think we've figured out the taxi situation... well... part of it anyway... when we call for a taxi from home, we tell them our address and we're betting the driver calls the dispatcher and says, "Where is that?!?" and they eventually find us. But when we get a taxi at a restaurant (we don't actually tell them where we're going until getting in the cab), they don't know, in advance, our home address so they give us the blank stare when we start tossing out landmarks... something eventually clicks though.

Next time, I'm going to say, "Take us to Bonaire!" I'm sure we'll end up at Baby Beach.

Really enjoying your posts. I think since we will be there for three weeks this time, we're going to do the Price Smart thing for booze.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thanks for sharing your stories, I enjoy reading them.

Interesting to read about downtown and your friends' observation how much it changed from 2008 (my last visit was in 2010).

Looking forward to your next installment.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast