Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Act1966 - February/March 2016

Day 5

We headed downtown as our friend, Mare, was in a panic because she forgot her Kiehl's toner... well... not so much a panic as a moment of, "I feel like we should do something other than lay by the pool, tan and drink... but I'm not going to force the issue..." We needed to hit Price Smart anyway so off we went.

And, yes, the parking:no problems... we have TONS of Aruba loose change so we just kept feeding the machine until there was enough time to cover us. No problem reading the number on the spot so they must have re-painted recently. There were some confused Americans in front of the pay station so we helped them out... I suspect if you don't come from a city with these kinds of meters (Toronto has them), you'd be completely bamboozled... we didn't really follow the instructions so can't comment on whether they were illustrative enough or not.

The Ralph Lauren sale was on so we loaded up on Aruba "formal" (polo shirts and shorts), hit the Kiehl's counter and we were done! Thirty minutes, tops.

We decided to bypass on the usual haunts and hit "The Pastechi House" for lunch - we paid a visit during the filming of the show. Is it Carte Blanche? No. But there wasn't a clean plate at the end of the meal so that tells the story right there. We had combinations of conch, chicken, ham/cheese and indian samosas. All were very good and piping hot. And you're right on Main Street watching the world go by... a "win" in my books! For the four of us, each having four pastechies and fries, it was $34 USD.

https://www.facebook.com/THE-PASTECH...5282566512485/

We hit a craft store around the corner on the way back to the car but didn't really see anything that worked for us so we headed out.

Hit SuperFood and Daily Fish on the way home.

Here's a special moment: we received a SuperFood bonus card for locals (rather than the tourist one we've been using). I believe that also doubles as a residency permit. Let the savings begin!

Back at the manse, I ushered everybody out to the pool so I could pull a fast one: yes, I've cheated on my mistress, Missy Margarita, with a huge batch of Pina Coladas.

Ugh. Yes, "light". After a few of those, a cannonball in the pool would send a tidal wave across the island. Oink!

Three out of four drinkers approved the cocktail with one holdout (freshly toned up in her Kiehl's) who said, "How could you do this so closely after Margarita Day?!?"

A fantastic dinner in made by our guests - grouper, shrimp, salad and a fresh baguette. The Spouse picked up a bone-in ribeye at Superfood and proclaimed, "There's a new best steak on the island and it's right in front of me!!"

An Aruba-exhausting day so we hit the sheets relatively early (10 pm).
    Last edited by act1966; 02-26-2016 at 08:34 AM.

Love it! I will make sure to check out the Pastechi house. I'm sure the kids will love it!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Love it! I will make sure to check out the Pastechi house. I'm sure the kids will love it!
    J - I suspect they will: you eat with your hands and they can run around like mad with nobody batting an eyelash!

There's hand sanitizer right on the counter for anyone freaked out by eating with your hands... mmmm... Purell Pastechi...d'oh!
    Last edited by act1966; 02-26-2016 at 09:12 AM.

I love Pastechi. We have walked past there before and never stopped. My mouth is watering this morning thinking about cheese Pastechi and Pina colodas, and ribeye. If I close my eyes and click my heels 3 times maybe I can make it there? If you're ever near Bugaloe in the morning, they have a good chicken Pastechi with some kind of delicious salsa. It's on their breakfast menu even though it doesn't seem much like a breakfast food.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

We need to check out that Pastechi House! I always wondered how the sales were at the RL store in Aruba. We have an outlet near our cottage in NH that I frequent. I actually love the men's T's because they are so light weight, come in V-neck and bright colors. Perfect for casual day wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    We need to check out that Pastechi House! I always wondered how the sales were at the RL store in Aruba. We have an outlet near our cottage in NH that I frequent. I actually love the men's T's because they are so light weight, come in V-neck and bright colors. Perfect for casual day wear.
    Two years ago, they had everything in the store for 50% off. That was a BIG score.

This year, most of the store was ~30% off. The men's standard polo was discounted to $48 USD but it was restricted to certain colours. The sales lady tried though, "The colour looks beautiful on you... the price shouldn't matter!"

Uh, no. LOL

Aruba since 1979
    LOVE pastechi. Love Pina Coladas. Poor Missy Margarita, did she feel snubbed? used? abused? kicked out of bed on to her bottom?

Peg and I have visited the same RL store and I can tell you all of the prices there are at least half of Aruba pricing.
    The RL store in Kittery (not kitty meow) Maine has a great selection. My husband bought one without me a few years ago....kinda teal/gangrene color and he loves it. gag.
    Act--you need a road trip to new england in the summer.

thanks for sharing your story.
    Love it.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    I've only been home a week and you are making me so envious that I'm not there! I have to check out the Patechi House. I think I'll fly down and jump in your pool this weekend. I'm quickly losing my tan.

Day 6

You know how Ling's has the big billboard sign that says, "Groceries Just Like Home!"? I had a "just like home" moment yesterday morning: at around 5:00 am, I heard the familiar rumbling of a truck, sat bolt up in bed and scream-whispered, "GARBAGE!!"

I bolted out the door, barely remembering that, indeed, Aruba is NOT a nudist colony, grabbed every piece of trash from the kitchen and ran for the door. Ah, yes, the door: we need keys to unlock it from the inside... mad search... found them... bolted out the door and ran down the street chasing the truck with two boxes of waaaaay too many liquor and wine bottles and trying to remember the Papiamento word for, "WAIT!!"

One neighbour, on his way to work, saw me and laughed... I'm pretty sure he was thinking, "Been there."

Onwards...

A perfect Aruba day: very little accomplished other than catching rays, floating in the pool and mastering the pina colada - the key is coconut CREAM not milk. A world of difference. Even the naysayer, margarita-acolyte, Miss Kiehl's Face, agreed that the cocktail jumped immeasurably with the addition of the cream.

"It's a healthy fat... it comes from coconuts." Oy.

So, like beached whales, we flopped around in the pool listening to 80s pop music, eating Pringles and having a sing-a-long for the better part of an afternoon.

I forgot to mention: yesterday, I bought a hammock at Price Smart! Because I needed another spot to lay around and do nothing. And it didn't cost me a fortune (yes, I'm looking at you, Flora). I can literally go from the house to the backyard to the pool and have numerous "lay-down" spots in the thirty meters it takes to get from A to B.

Another great dinner at Tierra Del Sol - our friends first time. I went "off program" and had lobster cappuccino soup and lobster ravioli. Ugh. Get Daddy's turnin' paddle!! Loved it...

Act1966 -  February/March 2016-cappucino.jpgAct1966 -  February/March 2016-ravioli.jpg

Another note: It didn't take me as long to decompress from work this trip - I think it's because the trip came so quickly on the heels of the last one. Obviously, the solution is to never go a without a trip to Aruba every few weeks.
    Last edited by act1966; 02-27-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    LOVE pastechi. Love Pina Coladas. Poor Missy Margarita, did she feel snubbed? used? abused? kicked out of bed on to her bottom?

Peg and I have visited the same RL store and I can tell you all of the prices there are at least half of Aruba pricing.
    The RL store in Kittery (not kitty meow) Maine has a great selection. My husband bought one without me a few years ago....kinda teal/gangrene color and he loves it. gag.
    Act--you need a road trip to new england in the summer.

thanks for sharing your story.
    Love it.
    All I'm thinking is, "pina colada coloured polo shirt" now.

We've actually never been to New England... hmmmm....
    Last edited by act1966; 02-27-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast