Aruba Beach
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Act1966 - February/March 2016

Aruba since 1979
    morning laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I wish I could make a living teaching creative writing... sigh. If we could do what we love, the planet would be full of astronauts and ballet dancers... and wine drinkers.

Dinner was great... one note: it's no longer called "Ventanas Del Mar" - it's now simply known as "The Restaurant". Which makes it easier to describe after a few adult beverages rather than sounding like a slurry Spaniard.

I'm pretty sure the neighbours would have just turned the moment-in-nudism into another excuse to light up some fireworks!!
    You said it!! Been trying to get the writing career off the ground but a lot of things got in the way( my job). Being a writer would be the ideal form of self-employment in which to live on Aruba full time. Being there makes me feel more inspired and revved up to write. Everyday there would be inspiration for new stories to be written down.

Day 8

In the morning, we did some errands while the guests walked over to the Ritz and down the beach to the Riu for some day cocktail-ing.

Lunch by the pool and then some float time.

Academy Awards Day! Exciting, even though we haven't seen any of the movies, because of all the "diversity" buzz... we made a plan for pizza, wine and maximum television viewing...

We hit Urataka Centre Best Pizza for dinner and picked up the signature Hamburger Pizza and a custom pie for our guests... plus twenty-five wings to ensure we were completely stuffed. It's a bit of a schlep from our place (about twenty-five minutes each way).

While I enjoy the pizza, I'm not really a fan of the wings because they're too dry. I obviously need to introduce brining to the island!

After the take-out feast, we all settled in and started the show. A valiant attempt made by all but, alas, it was lights out by 11:30 p.m. We forgot about the timezone difference and, at the last minute, realized the show doesn't start until 9:30 p.m. AST. One and a half hours of red carpet stupidity is enough to make you want to self-lobotomize.

True to form, I bailed at Best Visual Effects. From what I'm reading, I didn't miss much as Chris Rock's monologue seems to have been the highlight of the show.

The Academy obviously needs to make this a luncheon affair so I can see the whole thing. Chop! Chop!

Of note: the Oscars seem even more inane (if that's possible) when you're watching them in Aruba where "formal" entails a clean t-shirt. We all commented that we don't miss the weight of business-wear much less hoisting on a tuxedo in the heat. How the stars do it is beyond me.

One other thing: as we were driving down to UC Pizza (Santa Cruz), we saw the backyard airplane in the distance. Our neighbour said it's being turned into a restaurant...?!? Mmmm. Airline food. Wait. What?!? That sounds like a recipe for mediocrity. Maybe they'll brine wings...?

Live from Bugaloe!!

Act1966 -  February/March 2016-bugaloe.jpg

Aruba since 1979
    you getting an early start?
    Live from Bugaloe!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bugaloe.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	4809

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    you getting an early start?
    "Lunch". Lunch is Papiamento for "Balashies".

Live from Bugaloe!!

I'm looking forward to hearing about this.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Live from Bugaloe!!

Also, you are facing the wrong way, turn around and look at the color of the water!

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Also, you are facing the wrong way, turn around and look at the color of the water!
    Voila!

Act1966 -  February/March 2016-water.jpg

Ahh much better! It looks very quiet in that area today. I'm thinking no cruise ships in town maybe?

Voila!

Name:	water.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	4811

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast