Aruba Beach
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Act1966 - January 2016

No no no , you can't leave, I loved reading your daily reports ! When are you returning ? You definitely have a flare for writing . Safe travels

Wait, -3C is a temperature or a lack of one?

-3 is Rude. Just plain Rude!

Thanks again. I can not express how much I appreciate your trip reports
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Do you remember those Wild Kingdom animal shows where Jim would say things like, "The praying mantis is beautiful but deadly"...?

Well, that's what landing in Toronto is like:

Act1966 - January 2016-torontoskyline.jpg

It looks beautiful but, man, the cold is deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by arubacandy View Post
    No no no , you can't leave, I loved reading your daily reports ! When are you returning ? You definitely have a flare for writing . Safe travels
    Thanks, AC. We're back in February... Not soon enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    Safe travels...... gonna miss your reports and all the smiles they gave me. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks CP

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    Safe home. The photo made me sad!
    Thanks Peg. Going back up north made us sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    -3 is Rude. Just plain Rude!

Thanks again. I can not express how much I appreciate your trip reports
    Thanks for reading, Jacki.

Some observations from our most recent sojourn...

Aruba is changing. Fast.

There’s been a lot of healthy discussion about various topics on the forum. What we’ve noticed, over the last eight years, is that Aruba is catching up with the rest of the world: they’re instituting infrastructure to keep pace with the western hemisphere to remain competitive not just for tourists but for the locals as well: internet, road and bike lanes, airport, new development and building codes, and, yes, the all-too-controversial parking etc. are all moving forward. They’re not going to get everything perfect off the hop but it’s promising to see that they’re trying. Hopefully, they’re learning from mistakes other, more “developed” countries have made when building out (and not just the Netherlands).

They seem to be moving slowly forward on different energy sources: solar, wind etc. but it`s disappointing that they`re still tying themselves to an oil-based revenue model – I`m not sure that`s sustainable for the long-term and I hope they`re considering the consequences of that ongoing decision. I get it: oil equals jobs but ... not long-term growth and sustainability. Particularly when their first priority is tourism – nobody wants to see refineries as they`re landing in a tropical paradise.

Dining... it still holds true and is even better today: Aruba has a disproportionate number of good restaurants for an island its size. And there`s new talent springing up everywhere. I wonder if they've considered a formal cooking school... hmmmm....competition breeds innovation and they’re doing a lot of amazing things in the kitchens around the island.

Dogs: I`m disappointed that this situation does not appear to be getting better even though they've enacted tougher laws (enforcement issues?): a lot of people aren’t gating and protecting their dogs – they’re just treating them like living security alarms. I hope they can get on top of this so they don’t become yet another tragic Caribbean island that can’t manage its pet population. It takes education and enforcement... given the size of the island, I’m sure they can! I would hope that, given all the science and data being published, that people will start to recognize man’s best friend as living, emotional beings and not objects.

Security: we still feel safe in Aruba. Yes, there are incidents like everywhere else but I think a lot of things get pronounced attention because it’s 1) a small island and 2) they don’t have a huge amount of history of criminal happenings. When you compare Eagle and Palm Beach to what goes on in Rio, the island is still far and away a safe bet. Hopefully, as growth continues, the forces-that-be can manage to curb the potential rise of crime incidents and statistics.

We’re still bullish on Aruba and think it’s the best place in the Caribbean!
    Last edited by act1966; 01-19-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Act- Great reporting as always. Aruba does have a cooking school. The head chef from the Ritz Carlton, Stephen Toevs works with the school to help train the chefs for not only the Ritz but the island as well. I also agree the island of Aruba is still a very safe island to visit and explore, unlike way to many other destinations.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-19-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast