Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: Act1966 - January 2016

Day 10

My forehead breaks into a cold sweat when the day number (above) moves into the double digits. Somebody make the time stop!! It's like a reverse ticker from hell...!!!

The last full day for our friends. Yeah, they're thrilled to be going back to 5 cm of snow. I don't know what the inches are - is there an imperial measurement that equals "crappy"?

They opted to keep it simple and spend the day at the pool. Fine by us! We're happy to report that our friend with the fibromyalgia is feeling a lot better - not 100% but significantly better with both walking and eating. She needed this. I'm convinced (after seeing many relatives and friends turn into snowbirds) that Canadian winter isn't the best place to get older. They're thinking about spending a significant chunk of time down here next year. The hunt for the rental villa begins soon.

We had leftover ziti by the pool (how decadent does that sound LOL) with a few pilsner pops. The ziti held up beautifully - it was nice to make it with the right ingredients... for some reason, heavy cream is hard to come by in Toronto as is ziti shaped pasta... you end up subbing in whipping cream and penne rigate which isn't exactly right. Sigh, the challenges we live with...

One thing I forgot to mention - Google Music streams here. We'd had problems with Songza over the years so it was nice to have our music service to stream while by the pool rather than lugging the laptop around with our downloaded music. We just take my Nexus 6, bluetooth it to a Bose Soundlink and it works great.

We headed out a little early in the evening to watch the sunset at Barefoot (review in Culinary).

A nice, relaxing day to send our friends off with. Surprise, surprise: they're converts to the Cult of Aruba!

P.S. I think this might be one of the weirdest posts I've written: ziti, bluetooth, snow and fibromyalgia... "Name four things you wouldn't expect to hear about Aruba..."

P.P.S. We had a terrible taxi experience from home to Barefoot... the minivan was dirty and old, driver got lost twice (you know it's bad when they can't find Barefoot) and was obsessed with giving us a card to call him to pick us up when we were done eating; we were almost late for our table. PM for details. We're going back to calling a random taxi (which always seemed to work for us in the past).
    Last edited by act1966; 01-12-2016 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    love reading this "story" for my morning laugh!
    thanks
    You're welcome, Andrea. If we don't laugh, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by cpjones View Post
    Lovin' your daily adventures.... thanks for taking the time to post.
    You're welcome and thanks, CP.

Quote Originally Posted by arubacandy View Post
    I love reading about your daily adventures, chores, food and drinks ! I find myself laughing out loud , great writing ! Looking forward to more...
    Thanks, AC! Glad you're enjoying my ramblings!

Wow! Couldn't find Barefoot...huh
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Aruba since 1979
    Fibromyalgia, bluetooth etc..... it is what it is and made me smile.

thanks for sharing.

Curious....did your friend find that the Fibromyalgia flair ups were less in Aruba? May be another perk
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Curious....did your friend find that the Fibromyalgia flair ups were less in Aruba? May be another perk
    For sure. And her appetite came back. Her use of a cane practically subsided.

No imperial measurement. It's a color and it's called white!

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Day 10

My forehead breaks into a cold sweat when the day number (above) moves into the double digits. Somebody make the time stop!! It's like a reverse ticker from hell...!!!

The last full day for our friends. Yeah, they're thrilled to be going back to 5 cm of snow. I don't know what the inches are - is there an imperial measurement that equals "crappy"?

They opted to keep it simple and spend the day at the pool. Fine by us! We're happy to report that our friend with the fibromyalgia is feeling a lot better - not 100% but significantly better with both walking and eating. She needed this. I'm convinced (after seeing many relatives and friends turn into snowbirds) that Canadian winter isn't the best place to get older. They're thinking about spending a significant chunk of time down here next year. The hunt for the rental villa begins soon.

We had leftover ziti by the pool (how decadent does that sound LOL) with a few pilsner pops. The ziti held up beautifully - it was nice to make it with the right ingredients... for some reason, heavy cream is hard to come by in Toronto as is ziti shaped pasta... you end up subbing in whipping cream and penne rigate which isn't exactly right. Sigh, the challenges we live with...

One thing I forgot to mention - Google Music streams here. We'd had problems with Songza over the years so it was nice to have our music service to stream while by the pool rather than lugging the laptop around with our downloaded music. We just take my Nexus 6, bluetooth it to a Bose Soundlink and it works great.

We headed out a little early in the evening to watch the sunset at Barefoot (review in Culinary).

A nice, relaxing day to send our friends off with. Surprise, surprise: they're converts to the Cult of Aruba!

P.S. I think this might be one of the weirdest posts I've written: ziti, bluetooth, snow and fibromyalgia... "Name four things you wouldn't expect to hear about Aruba..."

P.P.S. We had a terrible taxi experience from home to Barefoot... the minivan was dirty and old, driver got lost twice (you know it's bad when they can't find Barefoot) and was obsessed with giving us a card to call him to pick us up when we were done eating; we were almost late for our table. PM for details. We're going back to calling a random taxi (which always seemed to work for us in the past).
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Thanks for the posts. The translation is only 2 inches but 2 inches of snow stinks compared to miles of beachfront You friend should move somewhere warm all year its obviously very good for their body. It would be tuff to pick up and move but if half of it could be in Aruba, count me in.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast