Aruba Beach
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 141
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Act1966 September/October 2017... Sort Of...

  1. #101
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Was there any explanation? Transaction fees or foreign exchange fees maybe? Or just "because"? Do they accept a check or just cash?
    Just cash and Aruban debit cards. We'll just do it through our property manager. As with a lot of transactional things in Aruba, it's sometimes easier to not ask.

    Making people sign with a PIN-enabled credit card transaction is one of the irritating things that I'll go to my grave educating Aruban retailers about though.

  2. #102
    Super Moderator Jacki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

  3. #103
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,413
    Another Day, Another Institution

    Well... we decided to deal with the bank yesterday - we have an unwritten rule (to keep me sane and stress-free) that we'll only deal with one institution per day on any given Aruba trip.

    Off to our RBC Palm Beach branch I went... only to discover RBC had shut it down and the ATM rejected my card. Um, okay. Not usually a good sign when a Canadian bank is shutting branches down given that they all fight for street corners back in Canada. So I motored over to the RBC near Ling's on Italastraat (which I think is the head office down here). As I was walking into the bank, I noticed a large group of RBC employees (they were all wearing corporate shirts) partying in front of the bank with barbecues. I thought, "Oh, nice! They're doing some sort of customer appreciation event!"

    Head into the branch and notice that the security guard planted at the front door is actually locking the door after each customer. Something's up.

    Get into the branch and there's a huge line up for two tellers. Now I'm thinking, "I could do with a little less customer appreciation and would rather have more tellers." Somebody in line said, "I can't get money out of the ATM" and a nearby employee said, "Yes, there's an employee strike and we can't get the ATMs filled."

    So, yeah, this was going to be a loooooong visit to RBC.

    Anyway, I survived and, given that I work in financial services in Canada, think that it'll be more impactful to make a stink up in Toronto.

    Hit Superfood, ran into The Real Estate Agent and headed home for a couple of hours in the pool.

    We barbecued chicken and did the trusty microwave-in-bag vegetables with fresh bread from Superfood. I also made a HUGE discovery at the wine store in SF Plaza: they have our favourite white from New Zealand. Pretty expensive but, of course, I bought them all. Like a kid in liquor store...

  4. #104
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,413
    The thunder is incredible this morning. The universe is angry... it probably had to line up at the bank yesterday.

  5. #105
    Super Moderator Jacki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,618
    So happy there was a positive in there! Yay wine!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    Another Day, Another Institution

    Well... we decided to deal with the bank yesterday - we have an unwritten rule (to keep me sane and stress-free) that we'll only deal with one institution per day on any given Aruba trip.

    Off to our RBC Palm Beach branch I went... only to discover RBC had shut it down and the ATM rejected my card. Um, okay. Not usually a good sign when a Canadian bank is shutting branches down given that they all fight for street corners back in Canada. So I motored over to the RBC near Ling's on Italastraat (which I think is the head office down here). As I was walking into the bank, I noticed a large group of RBC employees (they were all wearing corporate shirts) partying in front of the bank with barbecues. I thought, "Oh, nice! They're doing some sort of customer appreciation event!"

    Head into the branch and notice that the security guard planted at the front door is actually locking the door after each customer. Something's up.

    Get into the branch and there's a huge line up for two tellers. Now I'm thinking, "I could do with a little less customer appreciation and would rather have more tellers." Somebody in line said, "I can't get money out of the ATM" and a nearby employee said, "Yes, there's an employee strike and we can't get the ATMs filled."

    So, yeah, this was going to be a loooooong visit to RBC.

    Anyway, I survived and, given that I work in financial services in Canada, think that it'll be more impactful to make a stink up in Toronto.

    Hit Superfood, ran into The Real Estate Agent and headed home for a couple of hours in the pool.

    We barbecued chicken and did the trusty microwave-in-bag vegetables with fresh bread from Superfood. I also made a HUGE discovery at the wine store in SF Plaza: they have our favourite white from New Zealand. Pretty expensive but, of course, I bought them all. Like a kid in liquor store...
    Lots of luck making a complaint in Toronto.
    I have banked with the RBC since 1972. Personal banking, corporate banking, mortgages, investments etc. I had a horrible experience with RBC Aruba. When I raided the issue in TO I was told that the RBC Caribbean operations are totally independent and that the use of the RBC logos etc. are very much like a franchise operation. "Sorry, but not interested in what you have to say" was the attitude I ran into. Hope you have better luck.

    Also, have you noticed that if you use your RBC Debit card at an RBC Aruba ATM the fess are higher then at CMB or ArubaBank? Don't understand that one either.
    A novel set in Aruba "Journey of Betrayals" available now on Amazon or at certain bookstores in Aruba
    "The sequel "Journey to Unknown Consequences" available this November, 2017
    John the (aquaman) www.homeaway.com/3507664 or www.homeaway.com/3903317

  7. #107
    Senior Member act1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In the pool.
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Lots of luck making a complaint in Toronto.
    I have banked with the RBC since 1972. Personal banking, corporate banking, mortgages, investments etc. I had a horrible experience with RBC Aruba. When I raided the issue in TO I was told that the RBC Caribbean operations are totally independent and that the use of the RBC logos etc. are very much like a franchise operation. "Sorry, but not interested in what you have to say" was the attitude I ran into. Hope you have better luck.

    Also, have you noticed that if you use your RBC Debit card at an RBC Aruba ATM the fess are higher then at CMB or ArubaBank? Don't understand that one either.
    I know it hits one particular executive's PnL in Toronto so I'm going to go that route and see who has a bonus in jeopardy.

    Hmmm. Didn't know about the debit card issue but we rarely use the ATMs anymore... this was a one off. Luckily, we're now in a position where we don't need a bank account here anymore.

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Zeerovers, San Nicolaas, Malmok, Arashi
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    I know it hits one particular executive's PnL in Toronto so I'm going to go that route and see who has a bonus in jeopardy.

    Hmmm. Didn't know about the debit card issue but we rarely use the ATMs anymore... this was a one off. Luckily, we're now in a position where we don't need a bank account here anymore.

    Lucky you not to need ATM's but this has now got me wondering about you and the spouse. Have you reached the status of a Royal? I have to wonder since Royals do not carry or use money! It also makes me wonder what the Queen does with the huge annual salary she gets? That could buy a lot of Corgi dog treats.
    A novel set in Aruba "Journey of Betrayals" available now on Amazon or at certain bookstores in Aruba
    "The sequel "Journey to Unknown Consequences" available this November, 2017
    John the (aquaman) www.homeaway.com/3507664 or www.homeaway.com/3903317

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    The thunder is incredible this morning. The universe is angry... it probably had to line up at the bank yesterday.
    Yes, we were lying in bed and I thought someone was rolling furniture in the unit above us, even though the unit is almost dead quiet with concrete ceilings. I looked outside and it was only lightly raining. Sun came quickly though and dried everything out.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    TRIP 14 MARCH 5-28 2018


    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMODATES TWO ADULTS. https://youtu.be/hfk7YBj3Z1k
    RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

  10. #110
    Member Animal Rescuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    The thunder is incredible this morning. The universe is angry... it probably had to line up at the bank yesterday.

    What the crap-biscuit was that all about? Teeth rattling thunder that knocked out our power at our rental house in Siribana. At least it's hot and nice now!
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO