Aruba Beach

Thread: Aruba/Bully/Cerry/Trees

Aruba/Bully/Cerry/Trees

We are back from Aruba, and I am sad. But who isn't when they leave!
    To start out our trip, I must say Continental Airlines tried to ruin our trip but we didn't let them do it. I was just a couple of pounds over and was charged $100.00. We flew first class this year, and normally you get to have up to 70 lbs. When we left Aruba, they didn't even weigh our luggage because we were flying 1st class--but oh well. We could have taken 2 suitcases each 50 lbs each. Tell me why I couldn't take one piece for 52 lbs. But people--don't take so many clothes, you just don't need them. I could go on and on but I won't I know you don't want to hear all that. LOL Oh by the way, there was no patting down going to Aruba, or coming back. They did not go through our carry on's but I did see the dogs in Aruba. We came back on Saturday, and the airport was not all that busy. Seemed strange to me.

We landed in Aruba, and there was the Sweet and Wonderful Bully! This man is such a nice man!! This was our first time meeting him, and he gave me a big hug. What a warm welcome that was. Andrea he told me to tell you hello. If anyone going to Aruba needs the BEST cab driver--he is the one. We have had many-but he is the tops, and we will book him next year as well. My husband has MS and Bully arranged for a wheel chair--such a doll he is. Wish I could see you now Bully! LOL Good luck with the new house. Thank you for all you did for us.

Another person I want to tell you about is Cerry. We took a tour with him, and it was great. He tells you the history of the island, the people, the government and everything! He answered all questions, stopped for us to take pictures and he was on time to pick us up. I wish I had booked him for more than 2 hours, I learned a lesson there. When you think about the island is so small, you just don't realize how much there is to see. Many thanks to you Cerry!

We rented our phone from Discount Cell. No problems at all. Trees was at the hotel right on time, and picked the phone up there as well. She sent me an e-mail a few days before we left, with the phone number. We will book with them again. Last year my phone bill was over $300.00 because my husband was in the hospital in Aruba--this year NO PROBLEMS.

I am so sorry to tell you I can't tell you about any places to eat other than the Occidental. I really had plans to go off the resort to eat, but we just loved the food there. These are just the best people, and the food is wonderful, so we just ate there. Oh and one of the waiters, Edgard got us some Pastechi's. Another thing I learned about here. They were wonderful. He picked them up on the way to work one morning. MMMMM would love to have one now.

I did try my first Brown Lady. (and second, and third--LOL) Andrea you were right, watch out for the brain freeze. Why I didn't learn I just don't know. LOL

The weather the first week was just not the Aruba I know. I know it is always hot, but there was NO WIND at all. One day was so weird--looked up at the sun (was very overcast) and it looked like a rainbow forming around it. It got bigger and bigger, and actually looked like the "mother ship" coming to land in Aruba. LOL I told my husband that if this is the "end" what a place to be. LOL The next day it rained in the late afternoon. It didn't ruin the whole day, but it rained quite a lot. The people that live there loved it. THEN on the first Friday we were there, the island lost all power. It was in the evening, and at the hotel only lasted about 2hours. Got really hot, but still not that bad. A lot of people complained, but it wasn't the hotels fault, I just don't understand some people. The second week, the weather was back to what Aruba normally is. Was just absolutely beautiful!! Very windy--and hot. The sky was beautiful---the water wonderful. Well you all know that!

Another thing I want to say is PEOPLE WEAR YOUR SUN SCREEN! Oh my goodness, I saw people that actually looked purple, they were so burnt. I guess they think that if it is overcast you can't burn--WRONG!!! We both came back with great tans, and always wore a 30!!! The last few days, I did put on a 15 in the morning, but still put the 30 on later in the day.

I am sure you are tired of reading this so I will stop. All in all, this was our BEST vacation ever. Nothing went wrong--no one sick--just perfect. I can't say enough about the people at the Occidental Grand, they all are wonderful, they are all like family --just love them!!! (and miss them too)

Sorry, I hope this wasn't too long.

Pat

Thanks Pat for the great review. Bully is a real gem. I just happened to be going through some of my old reviews on my blog and found a post about the first time we met him. He did not know us from any other tourist and he waited an extra 40 minutes for us since our flight was delayed. We were shocked. Now we know that this is his high standard. And yes, congratulations Bully on your new home.

Aruba since 1979
    love your "aruba story"

love the review and I am so glad that no one was sick this time; good for you!

Lisa
    First trip to Aruba down; many more to come

Lisa

Bully is great. I booked him for July (booked back in January). LOL

I will be heading to the Occidental in July!
    Decided to take down my timer!

Great review,great to hear no one was sick and all had a great time.Sorry but back to reality and planning your next vacation to Aruba.Welcome Home.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Aruba View Post
    We are back from Aruba, and I am sad. But who isn't when they leave!
    To start out our trip, I must say Continental Airlines tried to ruin our trip but we didn't let them do it. I was just a couple of pounds over and was charged $100.00. We flew first class this year, and normally you get to have up to 70 lbs. When we left Aruba, they didn't even weigh our luggage because we were flying 1st class--but oh well. We could have taken 2 suitcases each 50 lbs each. Tell me why I couldn't take one piece for 52 lbs. But people--don't take so many clothes, you just don't need them. I could go on and on but I won't I know you don't want to hear all that. LOL Oh by the way, there was no patting down going to Aruba, or coming back. They did not go through our carry on's but I did see the dogs in Aruba. We came back on Saturday, and the airport was not all that busy. Seemed strange to me.

We landed in Aruba, and there was the Sweet and Wonderful Bully! This man is such a nice man!! This was our first time meeting him, and he gave me a big hug. What a warm welcome that was. Andrea he told me to tell you hello. If anyone going to Aruba needs the BEST cab driver--he is the one. We have had many-but he is the tops, and we will book him next year as well. My husband has MS and Bully arranged for a wheel chair--such a doll he is. Wish I could see you now Bully! LOL Good luck with the new house. Thank you for all you did for us.

Another person I want to tell you about is Cerry. We took a tour with him, and it was great. He tells you the history of the island, the people, the government and everything! He answered all questions, stopped for us to take pictures and he was on time to pick us up. I wish I had booked him for more than 2 hours, I learned a lesson there. When you think about the island is so small, you just don't realize how much there is to see. Many thanks to you Cerry!

We rented our phone from Discount Cell. No problems at all. Trees was at the hotel right on time, and picked the phone up there as well. She sent me an e-mail a few days before we left, with the phone number. We will book with them again. Last year my phone bill was over $300.00 because my husband was in the hospital in Aruba--this year NO PROBLEMS.

I am so sorry to tell you I can't tell you about any places to eat other than the Occidental. I really had plans to go off the resort to eat, but we just loved the food there. These are just the best people, and the food is wonderful, so we just ate there. Oh and one of the waiters, Edgard got us some Pastechi's. Another thing I learned about here. They were wonderful. He picked them up on the way to work one morning. MMMMM would love to have one now.

I did try my first Brown Lady. (and second, and third--LOL) Andrea you were right, watch out for the brain freeze. Why I didn't learn I just don't know. LOL

The weather the first week was just not the Aruba I know. I know it is always hot, but there was NO WIND at all. One day was so weird--looked up at the sun (was very overcast) and it looked like a rainbow forming around it. It got bigger and bigger, and actually looked like the "mother ship" coming to land in Aruba. LOL I told my husband that if this is the "end" what a place to be. LOL The next day it rained in the late afternoon. It didn't ruin the whole day, but it rained quite a lot. The people that live there loved it. THEN on the first Friday we were there, the island lost all power. It was in the evening, and at the hotel only lasted about 2hours. Got really hot, but still not that bad. A lot of people complained, but it wasn't the hotels fault, I just don't understand some people. The second week, the weather was back to what Aruba normally is. Was just absolutely beautiful!! Very windy--and hot. The sky was beautiful---the water wonderful. Well you all know that!

Another thing I want to say is PEOPLE WEAR YOUR SUN SCREEN! Oh my goodness, I saw people that actually looked purple, they were so burnt. I guess they think that if it is overcast you can't burn--WRONG!!! We both came back with great tans, and always wore a 30!!! The last few days, I did put on a 15 in the morning, but still put the 30 on later in the day.

I am sure you are tired of reading this so I will stop. All in all, this was our BEST vacation ever. Nothing went wrong--no one sick--just perfect. I can't say enough about the people at the Occidental Grand, they all are wonderful, they are all like family --just love them!!! (and miss them too)

Sorry, I hope this wasn't too long.

Pat

Hi Just booked Cerry..
    I have a question, since he has his own business, do you tip him as well as payment for the tour?

Lisa

Lisa

Aruba since 1979
    Yes, although a tip is not expected it is perfectly acceptable to those that provide a service even if they own their own business.
    andrea

We did tip him. He is well worth the tip. You will see. He is just a wonderful person, and he gave us his card just in case we wanted to go "out and about" while on the island. We can't wait to see him again. I left his name and number with the people at the Occidental and explained how dependable he was. I know that taxi drivers are always outside the hotels, but none as good as we think he is.
    Have a wonderful trip, I sure wish we were going back today.
    Pat

Thanks everyone...
    Lisa

Lisa