Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aruba July 18th. – 27th.

Aruba July 18th. – 27th.

Trip report July 18th. – 27th.
    Arrived at 5pm. Sunday the 18th. after 18 hours of travel. Baggage was there after 20 min. and after a short taxi drive we arrived at the Bucuti Hotel. We have travelled our part in the world, but to arrive at the Bucuti is something special. We had a policy of never going the same place twice. Aruba and Bucuti changed that in 2005 and this is our third time. We have tried more expensive&exclusive hotels, but no one that makes us feel so good as Bucuti. It’s quiet, the staff is so helpful&polite, there is enough sunbeds/shade and space on the amazing beach, so no one has to get up and “reserve” sunbeds. All in all, it’s like visiting old friends. We were there for the third time and will probably come back in January
    After a shower and resetting the aircon from freezing to breeze we went to Pizza Bob’s. Great pizzas for our 12th anniversary , followed by cocktails in the Sand Bar.

Monday 19th
    Started the day with an hour in the fitness center. Afterwards we had a lovely breakfast at the Tara Wing at Bucuti. Thereafter did our rental car arrive(Amigo Car Rental – everything worked perfect, 228$ for 9 days, Kia Picanto) we drove to the company for paperwork and after that shopping in Superfood. Superfood is okay and have a good selection of Belgian beer
    Off to the beach – wonderful! Cold beer and cocktails at the Strand Bar. In the evening eating at the Amazonia. I like the concept of Amazonia(www.amazonia-aruba.com), wine list is ok, but the waiters aren’t so good to respect the red sign. A bit annoying for us.

Tuesday 20th
    Same morning routine(workout/running/breakfast ) thereafter shopping in Oranjestad and we got a real good natural fruit juice at Coco Plum on main street. Nice place to which we returned three times. Then the beach at Bucuti and in the Evening we had Dinner at the Mirandi(www.marandiaruba.com) We both had the Grouper Fillet – excellent, it was complimented with a real good Riesling. The view at Mirandi is fabulous – best place to view the sunset.

Wednesday 21st
    Morning workout and then we drove the southern part of Aruba. San Nicolas and a wonderful drive and walk in Sereo Colorado with great views to Venezuela. Return to Bucuti and and the beach. In the evening we were to the opening of a new Sushi & Thai restaurant(Hoshi Sushi Restaurant& Bar , Palm Beach Plaza). There was a bit of waiting time(it was their first night!) but the service was good and the rolls were some the best we’ve had and we have been to loads of Sushi Restaurants. This has the potential to be THE Sushi Place in Aruba. Wine List was good and we had another brilliant Riesling. After dinner we had Brownies and coffee at Moka’s Perfect Blend and real beer at A Taste Of Belgium, both at Paseo Herencia Mall, which is real nice, especially in the evening.

Thursday 22nd
    Morning – the usual. Then the beach and in the afternoon Shopping in Oranjestad and Sushi at Renaissance Marketplace(www.sushiya-aruba.com), good but not as good as Hoshi Sushi(IMO) The evening ended at The Strand Bar.

Friday 23rd
    Morning routine. And then off to shop for a new Ipod. My wife had learnt a lesson that morning – if you want to wash your running tights, then take the Ipod out of the pocket before you do so! Then beachlife until the evening. Dinner at Flying Fishbone(www.flyingfishbone.com). It was so good. The view of the sunset is better at Marandi’s but the overall “feel” is better at FF, even though it’s more packed with guests. I had the Lobster and my wife had the Shrimp shii-take & blue cheese casserole, both were absolutely excellent(we change the plates at half time) We had brilliant white wine to the seafood.

Saturday 24th
    Morning routine has changed! My wife had started to run on the beach in the morning and persuaded me to do so – great! Beach, shopping, sightseeing and lunch at Pizza Bob’s. Dinner was at The Screaming Eagle(www.screaming-eagle.net). What a good restaurant. The whole lounge feeling of the place is very well implemented. We had Surf&Turf and Catch of the day. Both very well cooked, absolute delight. Dessert was la tazza famossa(chocolate cup and saucer filled with tia maria and orange sherbet, topped with chocolate mousse )for me – brilliant and very well presented. My wife had tarte tatin, equal good. Evening at Paseo Herencia Mall, shopping and beer at A Taste Of Belgium.

Sunday 25th
    Beach run in the morning, then sightseeing and leisure life at the beach. Dinner at El Gaucho(www.elgaucho-aruba.com) I had the Lamb Loin, which was good. If I should choose – less meat and more refined side orders. I see a meal as whole, not as meat with something. My wife had Shrimp Scampi which was okay. Wine list was good and service okay. What wasn’t good was – photographer interrupting dinner and asked to take pictures(which we had to pay for, of course) and an insistent guitarist. Some may like it, but I find it intrusive and kitschy. Had some cocktails in the Strand bar to calm down.

Monday 26th
    No running! Instead we drove to Hoiberg and climbed the 550, or thereabout steps. Great and a great view over the island. Shopping, lunch in Oranjestad and beach life. Last evening in Aruba. We decided that Hoshi Sushi was so good that we’ll go there again. – and it was waiting time was reduced and the rolls were as good as first time. Good end to nine super days in Aruba.
    Tuesday 27th
    Going home day Beach run, beach and the third and last Pizza at Bob’s. Late check out – nice. Hassle free return of car and check in at the airport. At the airport with met the only unfriendly person during our 9 days stay. At the lounge there were a girl at the reception. Didn’t so much as say hello. Couldn’t care less about anything and didn’t stop facebooking during our one hour stay. She was an exception, though. Aruba surely is “one happy island” – we shall return!

Summary

Hotel:
    Bucuti is the place for us. Everything there is just perfect – service, surroundings, rooms, bar, people etc. Two exceptions. 1. Fitness center needs seriously to have the equipment updated 2. Pirates Nest is not perfect, but somewhere between okay and good.

Restaurants:

Top(will be back next time)
    Flying Fishbone, Screaming Eagle, Marandi, Hoshi Sushi, The Strand Bar(cocktails)

Good
    Pizza Bob’s, Amazonia, Sushi-Ya, A Taste Of Belgium(for the beer), Moka’s Perfect Blend(brownie and coffee), Coco Plum(the natural fruit juice)

Okay(but won’t be back)
    El Gaucho

Avoid
    Any kind of food on Martinair!
    Can't wait to come back

Next Aruba trip in

Thank you, excellent report. I ejoyed reading it. Boy, that's a long travel time to get there!

Aruba since 1979
    thank you for posting!!
    i have heard the same sentiments re: elgaucho lots.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Me three!

Thank you for sharing, I almost felt like I was there with you. You have made me hungry with all those food reviews

Happy to hear you had a good experience with Amigo. They have never ever disappointed us and LOVE the shrimp casserole at the Flying Fishbone!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Thank you, excellent report. I ejoyed reading it. Boy, that's a long travel time to get there!
    It is, but it's worth it(sounds like a commercial, I know)

18 hours - 2 and half hour to the airport, one hours wait, one hours flight, 4 hours in transfer and the 9 and a half hours flight
    Can't wait to come back

Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Me three!

Thank you for sharing, I almost felt like I was there with you. You have made me hungry with all those food reviews

Happy to hear you had a good experience with Amigo. They have never ever disappointed us and LOVE the shrimp casserole at the Flying Fishbone!
    and it was your recommendation of Amigo that made me choose them.

One place we have to eat at next time is MJ's - everybody says it's so good.
    Can't wait to come back

Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    thank you for posting!!
    Thank you.
    My thoughts on El Gaucho is if the food is good you don't need the photographer or guitarist. And I think the meat is good but it can't stand alone, so I was disappointed in general. It was the third time we were there so it's not that we haven't given it a chance. We won't go back.
    Can't wait to come back

Next Aruba trip in

Very nice report! I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by purpleangel View Post
    Very nice report! I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you I was reliving it here, on a rainy friday in Denmark.
    Can't wait to come back

Next Aruba trip in

Iguana Joe's, Miss the Natural Bridge, Butterfly Farm
    Great Trip report. Thanks for sharing with us all. I agree with you on El Gaucho, we went there a couple of times and just was not that impressed with it at all. Friends of our love it but I won't go back.
    Mike M

Pool Side in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast