Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aruba: July 2010

Great review!

Sounds like "Johnny" the beach worker has his own side business going on. Would you go back to the Occidental?

After seeing the photos of your rooms I thought it might be a possibility for us, but dh would never wear long pants to the ala carte for dinner. He is too spoiled!

You already know how much I loved your pictures!

Yes, I would go back to the Occidental Again. The food was great and the room was even better. But not sure I would ever just get a regular room from the hotel. I would probably try to get the same room as I got this time. The pants for dinner were not a big deal. A pair of jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers... Then to the room to throw shorts back on. The fact that the food was good IMO is a big Plus... The food on the island is good, but not having to travel around was a big plus for us...

My sister was going to travel with us, the room that we rented also had the capability of having another room attached to the kitchenette area. So would have been 2 full bedrooms and 3 bathrooms.

I am not against trying somewhere new, but since I was in a timeshare, not sure I would go with a standard room again. And the AI was just spoiled us. Last year at the Radisson I was not being "cheap" by any means, but the food was not as plentiful. And the kids got all the fronze Pina Colada and Strawberry Daquiries (sp) that they wanted.

I did have to pay for internet access for the week at $60, but for me it is a necessity!
    Decided to take down my timer!

Thanks for the report. We got back exactly one week ago and we are still in Aruba withdrawal. Luckily we had a wedding this weekend in Newport, Ri and had a wonderful time but I found myself talking mostly about our Aruba week...and I think people were starting to lose interest in listening. That's why this forum is so neat as we never seem to get tired of Aruba.

I agree that once you are in a timeshare unit it is difficult to go back to a hotel room without all of the amenities of the ts.
    Last edited by jeffnev; 07-19-2010 at 09:20 PM.

I love the beach (who doesn't?), anywhere that I can snorkel, The Donkey Sanctuary (much to the dismay of my daughter), the lighthouse.
    That was a nice report! Thank you for sharing. I, too was surprised to hear about the long pants rule. I just told my father-in-law not to pack any!

Aruba since 1979
    my dh would not put on a pair of pants in aruba come hell or high water!
    the closest he comes to dressing up are docker shorts, golf shirt and docksiders.

Thanks for the trip report! Glad you got to see the island with Bully. Nice Pics

I am glad you and your family enjoyed your vacation, and the Occidental. I feel like you do on the slacks for men, not a big deal because we always go right back upstairs and change back to shorts. Women don't have to wear slacks, but I did only to show my hubby I will make the sacrifice for him.
    It seems a little silly, but hey, rules are rules, and we are just happy to be there.
    I know the Johnny you speak of. As long as we have been going, I didn't know he did that. Maybe someone is mistaken on the person. My husband always went down early, only because he walked to Dunkin Donuts to get our coffee, and he took our towels down as well. We never had a problem. We always talked to Johnny every day, in fact he tried to come see Chuck when he was in the hospital last year, and he has NEVER said he would do that for us to save Chuck the early trip down. Maybe someone is giving him a bad rap. He is a very nice man, and I hate to hear people speak bad of him. Well, now I will get off my soap box. lol
    I loved your pictures. You have such a nice looking family. Don't you wish you were back? Man we do.
    Sorry if this is too long.
    Pat

Pat, I beg to differ with you , but Sgroi135 pointed out something that has been going on for a number of years. Pefhaps you just never noticed?

From our review January 13-24, 1999 (was the Allegro but presumably staff does not change with names of resorts)

Thursday- Our first day was going to be like all the others except for one- beach. Have to get out early to get a palapa, but that is part of an Aruban vacation, no matter where you stay. The bonus here, if you wanted to sleep later- there was shade from the palm trees, although it was not close to the water. We like the view, so we get up early. No problem, something's in life are just worth it. There were beach boys, but they were only interested in those customers who tipped them up front for the entire week. During previous stays at the Playa Linda we have always tipped day by day. These beach boys would be out before 7 am to set up the chaises for "their" customers and then let the rest of the guests fend for themselves.

Arubalisa I am not saying that this doesn't happen, I just know that this man has never told us he would do it for us for money, and we talked to him every day. He always keeps the area clean, if we put a drink cup down, he is right there to see if we need him to throw it away for us, etc, and doesn't do it for a tip. I am just saying, I know this man and we are not "paying customers" and he always gives us attention and such a nice person. So not all Beach Guys only take care of people that tip. Maybe we should re-think this and tip him next year, because he does a great job.
    Again, this is only my opinion and I don't want to upset anyone.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Love Aruba View Post
    Arubalisa I am not saying that this doesn't happen, I just know that this man has never told us he would do it for us for money, and we talked to him every day. He always keeps the area clean, if we put a drink cup down, he is right there to see if we need him to throw it away for us, etc, and doesn't do it for a tip. I am just saying, I know this man and we are not "paying customers" and he always gives us attention and such a nice person. So not all Beach Guys only take care of people that tip. Maybe we should re-think this and tip him next year, because he does a great job.
    Again, this is only my opinion and I don't want to upset anyone.
    Pat

Well I hate to say. I was there and speaking to someone that told me it was happening and he told me that he paid him $75 for the week. He said there is a guy out there in the morning. Well Johnny was the only guy there in the morning. That you give him something that he will basically mark your spot.

There is no way that he would "OFFER" it. That will most definately get himself in trouble. But I'm sure that if you say "is there anyway to reserve palapas" I am positive that he will tell you how.

The last day on the beach I saw "Johnny" he was talking to a woman at a palapa. Weird, she reaches into her bag and takes out what looked like a scarf and a book and handed it to him. He walked away with it and came back a few minutes later without them. I'm sure that I would have seen that same scarf and book on a palapa when I came down at 6:45am.
    Decided to take down my timer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast